“Just went wrong from the start”

Copthorne Hotel Auckland City
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
“Just went wrong from the start”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed the one night with work mate as we both had separate work functions we were attending near by then moving on to another hotel the next day for another function. We asked for separate keys and were told we could only have one. I found this ridiculous as we would be returning at different times. We had to leave the key at reception and the who ever arrived last would have to wake the other up to get in. when entering the room we noticed We had no where to place my suitcases on so had to use the floor not leaving much space in the small room, a wardrobe was provided but no useful for one night stayers. There was a mini bar in room and mini bar menu but when opening the fridge it was empty. I rang reception about filling it as We felt like a few drinks before heading out for a function and they advised I could order drinks from the bar which would be delivered to our rooms, this wasn't too much of an issue until checking out I noticed I was charged the bar price and not the mini bar price (slightly cheaper) for each drink. I returning that night I put the tv on and ordered room service and when it arrived I went to turn on the lights which didn't work I advised the room service staff member if they could fix this by the morning as the bathroom lights didn't work either. My work mate returned a couple hours later and couldn't gain entry to room as I was fast asleep and had to get night manager to let him in after 20 mins knocking. As we slept in and it was nearly check out time we rushed to get ready and noticed lights still weren't working and had to shower in the dark and could not shave. When checking out we notified the staff about the light issue and was told it didn't get reported to them by room service. I was also a bit peeved to be charged a small fee for using credit card as not only can I recall any other hotel charging a credit card surcharge when I have stayed with them but after the issue with the lights, keys and mini bar the reception should just waived this as a good will gesture.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Hendognz
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and I am very sorry to read of the issues that you had during your stay with us recently. The normal procedure is that a key is issued per person so I apologise that this was not the case for you as I can appreciate how inconvenient this was for you. The issue you had with the lights should have been followed up on and again I'm sorry this was not actioned as I would have expected. I'm sorry if these issues impeded on what was meant to be an enjoyable stay in Auckland and I do hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future to experience the true hospitality and service we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Booked this as a mystery deal, and was a bit apprehensive when I read the reviews on this site. However, we got here, got a carpark ($10 which is extremely cheap for Auckland parking, most hotels will charge you $20+), and greeted by a lovely lady at reception who gave us a free room upgrade. Room had kinda old school decor which I really liked, and a lovely view of the water. Best value for money hotel I have stayed at in Auckland. Highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Laurakiwi
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for the great feedback and I'm really pleased to hear you had such a great stay with us. I'm pleased you made the most of the mystery deal and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here overnight on New Years. Rooms are very average, noisy air conditioning ! Wasn't told at time of check in that they chars you 10 dollars for parking, would have been nice to be informed. Breakfast very average, slow service and not good food. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Nye2013
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am really disappointed to read these comments and to know that you would not return to the hotel. I will be passing this feedback to the relevant staff members for follow up and this is not the standard of service I expect from the staff. We would love to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future if you were willing to give us another chance. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

You can't beat the location. Right in the middle of a vibrant area with easy access to the city's best sites. Price is good, especially in an expensive city like Auckland. Accommodations are so-so. Lacks polish.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback, I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time in Auckland. Our two hotels in Auckland do provide great access to all the city has to offer, both us on Anzac Avenue and our sister hotel Copthorne Harbour City down at the waterfront. Thank you again for your time, your feedback is always appreciated.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here twice during November, at the beginning and at the end of holiday.
Good location for walking into Auckland CBD, can go through the university gardens or down towards the ‘sea front’
1st visit - the room wasn’t ready upon check-in but the gentleman on reception provided us with a drink whilst we waited, which was nice. He wasn’t sure how long it would be for the room to be ready so we left our luggage with him and went for walk for 30 mins or so. When we got back we could get into the room. It was clean and tidy, as you would expect. Enough space for luggage. Lovely bathroom. Couldn’t fault the room.
On the first morning we breakfast at the hotel, which was somewhat disappointing. It is buffet style which is great if the chef can keep up with demand for the hot selection but unfortunately this wasn’t the case on that morning. Very little to choose from, what was there didn’t look appetising and it wasn’t hot. On top of that the machine for making tea and coffee wasn’t working as it should have been and only managed to get half a cup of tea out of it. Didn’t have breakfast there again, went to the restaurant over the road, Gloria’s.

2nd visit – room was ready this time, and we had been upgraded to a suite on the top floor, it was really nice. Plenty of space to move around, and space for luggage. Huge bathroom. Again, it was all clean and tidy. The only fault was a power socket for the kettle which was not tight to the wall, so used a different socket.

A nice touch to staying here is that on departing you are given a survey to complete with regards to your sta. and there is space to add your own comments, so hopefully they are acted upon. Yes, I did add a comment regarding the breakfast being disappointing, so maybe it will be improved upon. And mentioned the socket, so that should get fixed fairly quickly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback, this is always appreciated. I am really pleased to read the positive comments regarding your stays with us. I am however disappointed to read the comments about the breakfast. We do take all feedback seriously and all comments cards that are filled out on departure are discussed at our morning briefing for comments and follow up from the appropriate head of department so I would like to think the issues you previously faced have been resolved. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the future and thank you again for your time.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed 1 night in a premium room with my wife, and also had parents-in-law staying as well. Check-in went well, and the receptionist very kindly upgraded my parents-in-law to a premium room for free (they booked a regular one). At check-out though, I was slightly surprised to be charged a $4 fee for paying for the room with my credit card.

Rooms were fine - a bit small, but this is Auckland. Would have been wonderful if they had a reasonably large flatscreen TV instead of a slightly-too-small old CRT monitor. Everything was clean and tidy, and the bed was great. Parents-in-law's room was also fine, although the roller on their bathroom door was broken, so they couldn't actually close their bathroom door. Reception apologised when we told them at check-out.

Great that there is free parking, but make sure you get in quick, as there are not a lot of spaces.

Overall, decent hotel for Auckland Central, and very good location to central Auckland and Vector Arena. However, as others have noted, it does need a bit of an update.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback, this is always appreciated. I'm really glad to hear that overall you had a great stay. Please note all rooms will have flat screen TVs installed early in the new year. We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.
Invercargill, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was more than happy with the room - very clean, tidy and in good condition. I have stayed there before and use it to access Vector Arena which is literally 5 minute walk away (that includes waiting to cross the road!) There are now 2 nice cafes on Anzac Avenue for breakfast/lunch as well as prompt polite service in the hotel restaurant. The viaduct and Queen Street are also comfortable walking distance too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and I'm pleased to hear you made the most of our handy location to the Vector Arena. It's great to read the positive comment about the restaurant service also. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.