“GREAT EXPERIENCE”

Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Portland, Oregon
“GREAT EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

CityLife was a perfect fit for our travel needs. True, we could have requested a room with a better view, but after two weeks of traveling we enjoyed the backyard view of Auckland. The room was very comfortable, the bath was large and clean, and the customer service was the best and most thoughtful we’d experienced in our trip. We highly recommend CityLife to Auckland visitors.

• Liked — Great Customer Service/Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Poor view
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HeadedOut
Heritage-Hotels, Yield Devt Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, September 4, 2007
Thank you for your positive comments - we pride ourselves on our friendly, professional service and we're glad your room was comfortable - we have a range of guest rooms from standard rooms to 3 bedroom suites and our location right on Queen Street (main shopping street in Auckland) makes us a great choice for all travellers.

Sue Christie
Heritage Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, uk
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I booked a twin room via the agodo website, where I paid just over 50 pounds a night - 5 night stay. There was a special offer running, and said a upgrade would be given to a deluxe room if there was availability.
Upon arrival discovered I had been upgraded by the hotel to an Executive 1 bedroom suite on the 12th floor - meaning I had to use my room key card to swipe in the lift to gain access.
The suite was great! Kitchen was a decent size with all necessary items, inc washing machine, dryer, dishwasher. There was also some washing up liquid, tea cloth, and powder for the washing machine - very handy!

The bed was very comfy, and the bedroom gave views of the harbour on one side, and the sky tower out of another.
Suite also has air con and heating, and can be switched from bedroom to lounge/dining area at the flick of a switch.

The gym and pool are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and you need your room card to gain access. Gym is reasonable, and has everything you need inc free weights and balls. The pool is 10m long, and very refreshing - salt water not chlorine.

Didn't try dining in the restaurant, but room service was of a high standard.

Opposite the exit - where the taxis pull in, is a small shop/super market, so you can pick up supplies in there.
The walk to the sky tower is around 5 mins - quite steep in sections, so not the easiest in the rain and if you are on crutches - like I was!

Would definetly recomend staying here

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank alr837
Christchurch
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We stayed in a 3 bedroom Penthouse, with the staff adding 2 beds into the lounge to accommodate our 6 children. This would have to be one of the best places that I have ever stayed. The sheets were so immaculate, as were the towels and hand-towels. The kitchen was brilliant, and having your own laundry was a dream. The location is superb. There are 24 hour convenience stores close by, and not to mention the viaduct and the Sky Tower. Reception recommended brilliant restaurants also.
p.s. We do travel alot with our 6 children

• Liked — Cleanliness and facilities
  • Disliked — Staff could have been a little friendlier
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 2X4
Bristol
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Stayed here in March on our 2 month round the world honeymoon. Quite a reasonably priced hotel in a great location in Auckland. We were able to park outside for 15 mins to unload our bags from the hire car and it wasn't hard to find. Queen St is the main shopping street and all the usual shops can be found there. The reception staff were all really nice & friendly and gave us an early check-in room as we got there earlier than expected. Our room was pretty average - nicely decorated & fairly spacious but not much more to say about it really - didn't have a great deal of character. We weren't crazy about Auckland frankly - maybe we missed the point a bit but seemed very commercialised and very different feel to Wellington & the rest of NZ
had some good beers & pub food at the Queensferry hotel on Vulcan Lane & our rent-a-dent car which we used to tour North Island was great - drop-off depot was about 20 min walk from hotel

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sleepyh
London, UK
Reviewed February 21, 2007

The CityLife was my Auckland base for the beginning, middle and end of my trip to the North Island. I booked through Expedia, and decided to go for the deluxe suite which was only a few pounds more than a standard room. I had thought about booking into SkyCity, but didn't like the sound of the noisy mini-bars in some of the reviews - not ideal after a tiring 26hr flight!

I had read the TripAdvisor reviews beforehand, and so had requested that my room was not on the side of the hotel near the multi storey car park, so I didn't suffer any noise. The deluxe suites are situated on the corners of the hotel, and on the 3 occasions that I stayed there, I was given suites on the 17th, 19th and 22nd floors, so there were good views of the city and the harbour. They all had what I think were interconnecting doors to the room next door. However, these were always locked, as I was travelling on my own.

I thought that the location was good, right in the middle of the CBD and only a few blocks from the waterfront and the ferries. The airport bus and free inner city bus stop right outside, and there was a nice coffee shop just next door for breakfast. The hotel has a restaurant, but I didn't eat there as there were lots of food courts with extremely cheap (by European standards) SE Asian food and also mini supermarkets up and down Queen Street, so it was very easy to self-cater.

The suites were very comfortable, with a kitchen/diner at one end and a sitting room at the other. It was more like living in a spacious one bedroom flat. The kitchen was fully equipped with more utensils than I have at home! including things like cheese graters and sieves. The washing machine and dryer were particularly useful, and came equipped with a sachet of washing powder, which was replenished the next day if used up. If I ever left a used glass or plate in the kitchen sink, room service would automatically wash it up the next day, which was unexpected but very nice of them.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and had a good selection of toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the pillows thankfully not too soft.

As others have already reported, the balcony is very wide, but more like a ledge with a railing! However, it was nice to be able to open up the sliding door and get some fresh air into the room. It was very warm during my stay in Auckland, so I also made good use of the air conditioning, which worked extremely well.

I thought that the reception staff were very helpful and attentive, remembering my name and always smiling. My room was always ready for check-in before the official check-in time, though for my final visit, I was so early that my room wasn't ready. They asked me to come back in an hour and to leave my bags behind - so on my return they had already been taken up to my now-ready room.

I hope you found this review useful. If so, please use the voting buttons so that I can get an idea of how to write up any future reviews!

• Liked — Great location, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Peephole and some of the kitchen cupboards slightly too high for petite people!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
46 Thank jytraveller
Melbourne
Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed at CityLife for one night after touring New Zealand. We found the room to be clean and presentable. The staff were friendly and approachable, and always willing to help. The pool was a welcome addition to our stay. We dined twice at the Zest Restaurant and found the food to be tasty and they had an adequate variety. We only had a one bedroom suite with four guests and therefore two of us had to share the sofa bed. This was the only downside of our stay as the bed was not at all comfortable. It was bent and felt like it would collapse when we lay on it. Besides this, our overall stay was good and the hotel location allowed us to explore the city sights easily on foot. The free city circle bus stops right outside the hotel, which is quite handy for tourists.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Sofa Bed
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank SapphireGirl
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Family of 4 stayed one night in a 2 bedroom apartment. Very clean and tidy, good facilities. Service was excellent with all needs taken care of quickly. Good gym and indoor pool. Great location behind Queen St and a couple of minutes walk to casino. Recommended.

5 Thank FordPrefect2000