“Best Place Yet”

Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch
“Best Place Yet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2007

We stayed in a 3 bedroom Penthouse, with the staff adding 2 beds into the lounge to accommodate our 6 children. This would have to be one of the best places that I have ever stayed. The sheets were so immaculate, as were the towels and hand-towels. The kitchen was brilliant, and having your own laundry was a dream. The location is superb. There are 24 hour convenience stores close by, and not to mention the viaduct and the Sky Tower. Reception recommended brilliant restaurants also.
p.s. We do travel alot with our 6 children

• Liked — Cleanliness and facilities
  • Disliked — Staff could have been a little friendlier
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 2X4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2007

Stayed here in March on our 2 month round the world honeymoon. Quite a reasonably priced hotel in a great location in Auckland. We were able to park outside for 15 mins to unload our bags from the hire car and it wasn't hard to find. Queen St is the main shopping street and all the usual shops can be found there. The reception staff were all really nice & friendly and gave us an early check-in room as we got there earlier than expected. Our room was pretty average - nicely decorated & fairly spacious but not much more to say about it really - didn't have a great deal of character. We weren't crazy about Auckland frankly - maybe we missed the point a bit but seemed very commercialised and very different feel to Wellington & the rest of NZ
had some good beers & pub food at the Queensferry hotel on Vulcan Lane & our rent-a-dent car which we used to tour North Island was great - drop-off depot was about 20 min walk from hotel

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sleepyh
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

The CityLife was my Auckland base for the beginning, middle and end of my trip to the North Island. I booked through Expedia, and decided to go for the deluxe suite which was only a few pounds more than a standard room. I had thought about booking into SkyCity, but didn't like the sound of the noisy mini-bars in some of the reviews - not ideal after a tiring 26hr flight!

I had read the TripAdvisor reviews beforehand, and so had requested that my room was not on the side of the hotel near the multi storey car park, so I didn't suffer any noise. The deluxe suites are situated on the corners of the hotel, and on the 3 occasions that I stayed there, I was given suites on the 17th, 19th and 22nd floors, so there were good views of the city and the harbour. They all had what I think were interconnecting doors to the room next door. However, these were always locked, as I was travelling on my own.

I thought that the location was good, right in the middle of the CBD and only a few blocks from the waterfront and the ferries. The airport bus and free inner city bus stop right outside, and there was a nice coffee shop just next door for breakfast. The hotel has a restaurant, but I didn't eat there as there were lots of food courts with extremely cheap (by European standards) SE Asian food and also mini supermarkets up and down Queen Street, so it was very easy to self-cater.

The suites were very comfortable, with a kitchen/diner at one end and a sitting room at the other. It was more like living in a spacious one bedroom flat. The kitchen was fully equipped with more utensils than I have at home! including things like cheese graters and sieves. The washing machine and dryer were particularly useful, and came equipped with a sachet of washing powder, which was replenished the next day if used up. If I ever left a used glass or plate in the kitchen sink, room service would automatically wash it up the next day, which was unexpected but very nice of them.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and had a good selection of toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the pillows thankfully not too soft.

As others have already reported, the balcony is very wide, but more like a ledge with a railing! However, it was nice to be able to open up the sliding door and get some fresh air into the room. It was very warm during my stay in Auckland, so I also made good use of the air conditioning, which worked extremely well.

I thought that the reception staff were very helpful and attentive, remembering my name and always smiling. My room was always ready for check-in before the official check-in time, though for my final visit, I was so early that my room wasn't ready. They asked me to come back in an hour and to leave my bags behind - so on my return they had already been taken up to my now-ready room.

I hope you found this review useful. If so, please use the voting buttons so that I can get an idea of how to write up any future reviews!

• Liked — Great location, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Peephole and some of the kitchen cupboards slightly too high for petite people!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
46 Thank jytraveller
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed at CityLife for one night after touring New Zealand. We found the room to be clean and presentable. The staff were friendly and approachable, and always willing to help. The pool was a welcome addition to our stay. We dined twice at the Zest Restaurant and found the food to be tasty and they had an adequate variety. We only had a one bedroom suite with four guests and therefore two of us had to share the sofa bed. This was the only downside of our stay as the bed was not at all comfortable. It was bent and felt like it would collapse when we lay on it. Besides this, our overall stay was good and the hotel location allowed us to explore the city sights easily on foot. The free city circle bus stops right outside the hotel, which is quite handy for tourists.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Sofa Bed
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank SapphireGirl
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

Family of 4 stayed one night in a 2 bedroom apartment. Very clean and tidy, good facilities. Service was excellent with all needs taken care of quickly. Good gym and indoor pool. Great location behind Queen St and a couple of minutes walk to casino. Recommended.

5 Thank FordPrefect2000
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed three nights at the CityLife Auckland, at the conclusion of a three-week journey through Australia & New Zealand. We found this hotel a wonderful place to stay! Great kitchen, and laundry within the room! Quite a bonus after a long trip.
The location couldn't be better-right on Queen Street. Unlike some of the previous reviews, we experienced very good service. The staff worked hard to get us the room as soon as we arrived (10:00 AM). I do agree with other reviewers, however, that when it comes to asking for directions, the young staff, although very courteous, are not too knowledgeable. By no means should this discourage anyone from staying at the CityLife.
We originally booked online, and the prices were great. Our one bedroom suite had a huge king size bed, plus a queen sofa bed; the bathroom was spacious and it even had heated towel racks. The entire suite was immaculate, and all appliances were in perfect working order. I would heartily recommend, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

On a recent trip to Auckland I stayed at CityLife Hotel. Firstly, the location couldn't be better. It is right in the heart of Auckland on Queen Street (The main street) only a few blocks from the harbour and shopping is at your feet.

First impressions were really good, there is a spacious lobby and nice restraunt/bar as you enter and the staff were very friendly. I booked a two bedroom apartment which was great, it was like a single hotel room joined to a 1 bedroom apartment by interconnecting door - it had two bathrooms and plenty of space in the kitchen lounge. One thing that suprised me was that it was serviced everyday by maids which is unusual for an apartment, so that was handy.

One thing, I was told there were balconies for most rooms at the hotel, and I am not at all stretching the truth when I say you could just squeeze your legs in the gap between window and edge of balcony - it was tiny, not even worth it really. Though in saying that there was a good view of the Skytower from the window.balcony.

One tip that I found out - there is a carpark across from hotel which costs between $7-$15.00NZD per night where valet costs about $25-$30NZD. Park you car yourself!

10 Thank JackiMac