“Return stay much improved”
Review of CityLife Auckland

CityLife Auckland
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Return stay much improved”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We are regular visitors but our last visit to Citylife was a bit of a disaster, but we were enticed back and we have to say it was but a momentary lapse! We travelled with a 8.5mth old and everything was great, the staff were friendly & helpful. Great locality although not the best views as surrounded by other buildings - but we could still see the Hauraki Gulf from our room and it was sunny.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want the views
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pip5ter
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Pip5ter,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience with our readers. I am happy to hear that we have recovered from your last stay and ensured you received the true "Heritage Experience". Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to host you again in the near future.

T.H.E Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2014

No arguments with the great location of this hotel. It's centrally located in Queen Street within easy reach of shops, restaurants and the all important harbour. The rooms were clean and, importantly the bathroom was impeccable.

Our room looked out over an adjacent multi story car park with a small 24 hour shop below and a backpacker's hostel within hearing distance. Having said that it would be unreasonable to expect a brilliant view in the middle of one of Auckland's main thoroughfares so I point this out simply as a "heads up" for you.

What the hotel gains in location it loses in ambience..hence my reference to a lack of soul. We felt that all the open spaces in the hotel were joyless. Staff were unsmiling, although to be fair, they were also quite helpful when asked.

Be warned, the restaurant closes on Sunday night so if you want a meal then you are going to have to discover Auckland's finest and it won't be in the hotel!

Room Tip: Our room number was 302 and that looked out over the car park....hope that helps!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dudley C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I was happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities and your room. I was surprised to read your comments about our staff as we receive many reviews complimenting their friendly and helpful nature, so I am hoping this is an isolated incident. Thank you again for your review and hope your visit our shores again in the near future.

Kent
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a good place to stay if you are a tourist in Auckland. It is well located for the city, waterfront restaurants and ferry terminals and has the added bonus of the airport express bus stop right outside. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We booked through Expedia and the room allocated to us was next to the lift shaft which was rather noisy, so avoid rooms with 01 and 02 eg 301 402 501 602 etc

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to lift shaft ...book direct, not through Expedia as room allocated was not the bes...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Sennokians,

Thank you for you fantastic feedback and review. The team and I were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at CityLife Auckland. Your room tips were valid and if you are a light sleeper, the lifts would definitely affect you. Thank you again for your review and we certainly hope to host you again in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I really loved this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I was looking for a nice place for an overnight stay whilst we attended an engagement party without the pricetag of The Langham. This proved first rate. The room is really clean and spacious and was lovely and light, the bed and linen excellent. The view wasn't the best and the room itself is pretty standard furniture and décor wise so I wouldn't book it if you are a design fiend. However what makes this hotel great is the service. Its brilliant, way better than the Hilton or The Langham both of which I've stayed at and in a different league entirely to places like The Grand chancellor or The Copthorne. Right from the start the hotel went out of there way to help ,when I phoned to request a portacot, the receptionist told me about their babysitting service, they have a trusted lady who used to be a nurse who does all their babysitting. I would never usually have a stranger look after my 7 month old but the staff really rated her so I thought it would be fine for a couple of hours. I was so happy with this amazing lady I stayed out for 3hrs and it really made our stay so much better as I got to enjoy the party. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, I rang for more milk and extra soap and this was brought immediately, without any fuss. When the man came to put up the portacot, which arrived after we checked in but this was fine, he brought extra towels for swimming as I mentioned I wanted to use the pool. The products in the room are really good too as was the coffee. The aforementioned pool is great, in a light airy space and nicely decorated. the water temperature was good and baby and I had a great swim. The location must be mentioned too, its right on Queen St and so within walking distance to the heart of the city. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear louise b,

Thank you for you fantastic feedback and for sharing your review with our readers. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and it sounds like you experienced what makes CityLife Auckland different from the rest - our exceptional level of service. I have shared your review with our team and everyone involved was also happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you again for the kind comments and we certainly hope to host you again in the near future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We obviously got a good deal as our price in the one bed suite included, wifi, breakfast and free valet parking. We loved our 22nd floor suite with all facilities plus view of the streets below, a park, dramatic buildings and the harbour. Very central with buses outside, good breakfast, very kind professional staff and super to collapse into the indoor pool after travelling half way across the world. At the price we paid we can't wait to come again or recommend to others. Everywhere we stayed in NZ had something better than other places - however the City Life still came top. We would have just liked to swap the huge coffee table for a smaller one as it obstructed our use of the suite.

Room Tip: ask for a high up room/ suite with views towards the sea
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CLPRtravel,

Thank you for you wonderful feedback and review. The team and I were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at CityLife Auckland and we certainly hope to host you again in the near future.

New Zealand
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I usually have a car, so stay a bit further out where parking is easier (and free - parking is $35 per day at City Life). But with no car this time I thought I'd try a central city hotel, and I'm pleased I did. It's a bit more expensive than I usually pay, but it was well worth it. A room to international hotel standards, with all the facilities you need (including gym and pool), located right on Auckland's main street, in the very heart of the city. Close to restaurants, theatres and cinemas, and very handy to work the next morning. I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David L, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Sparky81,

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your experience with our readers. We were happy to read that you had a fantastic experience here at CityLife Auckland and I would recommend you book through our hotel website and take advantage of either packages we sell with parking included or our special add-on's menu which have discounts for services such as parking, breakfast and internet.

Thank you again for visiting CityLife Auckland and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Perfect place to discover Auckland. The apartment is well equipped and has plenty of room and a good bed.We only had a bit of a problem finding the parking, but that was solved by a very nice staff member who accompanied us in our car. Also the rest of the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ies N,

Thank you for your recent review and your wonderful comments about your room, our beds and staff. We are currently looking at ways to ensure our guests find our hotel forecourt but I am glad our staff were on hand to ensure your car was looked after. We look forward to welcoming you back to New Zealand and CityLife Auckland in the near future