“Horrible way to end our stay in New Zealand” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of CityLife Auckland

CityLife Auckland
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Geneva, Switzerland
“Horrible way to end our stay in New Zealand”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were wrapping up our 3-week honeymoon in New Zealand and stayed our last night at this hotel before catching our flight back to Paris the next day. When we arrived, after driving about 3 hours from the previous town, my husband was looking for street parking, which was difficult to find in Auckland, so I went ahead to check us in with our luggage.

I arrived at the check-in counter, pretty tired and exhausted, only to learn that the girl at the desk refused to check me in without my ID (I had forgotten my wallet in the car), despite the fact that we had already pre-paid for the room! She wouldn't even let me go up JUST to drop off all the bags I had, but instead, insisted that I wait in the lounge for nearly 45 minutes until my husband found a parking garage for our car. When I asked the same girl at the counter for parking garage recommendations, she told me of their hotel's parking lot (which was more expensive!) but couldn't recommend any other ones that were nearby (despite the fact that apparently there is one just across the street from this hotel!). Completely useless and unhelpful! I can't imagine how frustrated I would have felt if I had JUST arrived from Europe after a 27 hour plane ride, only to be welcomed by this robotic and uncaring front desk staff!

Mind you, we had also booked the room months in advance and had asked for a quiet room in one of the higher floors so that we could rest before our long flight back, only to be given a room on the lower floors that faced the noisy alley street, where in the middle of the night, we could hear the club music and club goers downstairs.

The room itself was fine, and nothing out of the ordinary. After such a memorable honeymoon trip in New Zealand, it was just unfortunate that we had to end it on such a horrible note at this hotel. I understand though that perhaps our experience could have been different had we been welcomed by a different staff or at least a better attitude towards customer service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MousseGamine
CAKL, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I was disappointed to read about your encounter upon check in and agree this must have been frustrating at the time. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. The receptionist was doing as she was trained by insisting on sighting valid ID before access to the room is given. This procedure is there to ensure the safety not only of you as the guest but also for the hotel and all other guests. I agree this information should be communicated to you at the time of making your booking so we are in the process of updating our website. It is always our aim to ensure guests enjoy professional service and their expectations are exceeded by our caring innovative style of hospitality however on this occasion we failed to deliver. I am confident your situation was an isolated incident and would not happen again. Kind regards Nicole Lawson, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst looking after a friend who was recovering from surgery. The people at check in were very helpful, the concierge service was good and the valet parking guys were really prompt and friendly, just that one of them smoked and every time he brought the car round the front smelled of cigarettes from where he had been sitting, he did not smoke in the car but the smell off of this guy lingered on the seat and steering, so that was a little bit yucky.

The rooms were ok, very small at first we had a studio and it was until i got up there with my patient that i realised it was a shower only room when we had clearly requested a room with a bath as the patient was not capable of standing to shower after surgery. I rang them about this and I was advised that the only room that had a bath with a shower over it was a 1bdm suite - well i wished they had told me that before I handed over my CC details. Anyhow as not to add to my patients pain - we didn't move rooms for 2 nights. STUDIO: As you will see from the pics the rooms are pretty small, we had also requested a quiet room for recovery purposes and were put in a room they said would be quiet, alas it wasn't, it was quite noisy, we were in an odd part of the hote buidling where the buildings inbuilts fans seemed to be and they air con fan made a loud roaring noise as well. Cleanliness was good, bed was comfy and linen was good clean and crisp, lack of utensils and toiletries in the room, this could be managed better. echnology e.g TV very dated, could hardly hear it on full volume in the bedroom, not many channels to choose from.

On day 3 we moved to a 1 bdm suite, a bit bigger but not by much, alot pricier, again good cleanliness and at least this time the room was a little quieter. We dined on the room service menu on this night and the steak was fantastic, we had iced chocolate to drink and that was nice too. Do know that the restaurant doesn't open every night for dinner and dinner did take about 50mins to arive, it was worth the wait. Teeny tiny TV on bedroom wall, could hardly see what was on the screen. 1 bdm suite did have washer and dryer which was nice.

I was overcharged at checkout for internet we didn't use it took a few phone calls and a few days to sort but this was sorted eventually.Overall an ok stay on queen street in Auckland city.

Room Tip: Do ask to see your room before you book if possible so that you have an idea of what the noise level...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback - we do appreciate it. We certainly strive to achieve excellence in every aspect of our business and it is really only with feedback that we can improve and maintain the high standards in which we pride ourselves.
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Have stayed here many times over the years!!!...and this hotel has always been great value!!!
its location is wonderful!!!....
the rooms are very much like an apartment,and give you that home away from home feel
with city views and windows that actually open out onto the city
the breakfasts are very good and they are delivered to you room(still hot)....
valet parking!!! yay...and great helpful staff!!.....
i would recommend staying here anytime.....as i have said its great value and great location!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brycee10
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and comments. It is always our aim to ensure guests enjoy professional service and their expectations are exceeded by our caring innovative style of hospitality, the best compliment any guest can ever give is that they were made to feel like they were at their "Home away from Home" - so again Thank You! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Kind regards Nicole Lawson, General Manager
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed a total of three nights at Citylife while doing a 10 day motorcycle tour of the North Island with my teenage daughter. The room layout (with kitchenette) was very practical, the bathroom was large enough, and the washer/dryer was convenient. Only complaint was the foldout sofa bed which was (like all foldout beds) not very comfortable.

Staff at the hotel were very friendly and efficient. The hotel location was perfect in terms of walking access to restaurants, the Ferry Building, and the tourist attractions along the waterfront.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our staff, rooms and facilities, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving the hotel it was quite a nice room however did not enjoy the view at all. They had us faced toward the back street so there was no natural light coming through.
I did however like that it is in the middle of the city so I do enjoy not having to travel far.
Upon check out I asked a staff member if we were allowed to ext. 1 more hour as most hotels do that, but instead this comment which I feel is unacceptable "but we really need that room" umm ok?? So you're just waiting to kick me out? Are you suggesting!
That is not an appropriate response at all. Made me feel like oh sorry am I a burden?..
Small things like that can ruin a stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Lillbayb
CAKL, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. Clearly what you encountered was well below our usual high standards and I agree is completely unacceptable and should have been handled more appropriately. We certainly try to assist every guest with their requests including for late check outs, however these are subject to availability and on some occasions the hotel is unable to grant a request due to high occupancy levels as the hotel also has an obligation to ensure the room is ready and available for all arriving guests, so they are then not inconvenienced. We certainly strive to achieve excellence in every aspect of our business and it is really only with feedback from guests such as you that we can improve and maintain the high standards in which we pride ourselves. Kind regards Nicole Lawson, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Had a huge room, with kitchen/sitting room, and which was clean and comfortable. Small quibbles: the air conditioning units several floors below made a continuous noise, which got quite irritating at times. The breakfast options were not as wide as they could have been, and the wifi wasn't free, although it wasn't extortionate. The best thing, though, were the staff, who were always friendly and helpful. The location, of course, is very convenient to shops and restaurants. For a big business hotel, CityLife is a cut above many others.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CAKL, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank You! We appreciate your comments, we certainly strive to achieve excellence in every aspect of our business and it is really only with feedback from guests such as you that we can improve and maintain the high standards in which we pride ourselves. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the exterrnal noise. We do offer free WIFI in our lobby and bar areas, a code from reception is required to access this service, which offers 1 hour up to 100MB for multiple devices per day. We look forward to welcoming you back to CityLife Auckland. Kind regards Nicole Lawson, General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have stayed here several times. The hotel is handy to the motorways to enter and exit Auckland city ... And when you are there you can walk or cheap taxi most places. Generous rooms, comfy beds, clean! Quick, polite service. Thank you City Life Auckland.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely comments and feedback - we do appreciate it! It is wonderful to give ourselves a pat on the back for making your stays memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards Nicole Lawson, General Manager