We were wrapping up our 3-week honeymoon in New Zealand and stayed our last night at this hotel before catching our flight back to Paris the next day. When we arrived, after driving about 3 hours from the previous town, my husband was looking for street parking, which was difficult to find in Auckland, so I went ahead to check us in with our luggage.
I arrived at the check-in counter, pretty tired and exhausted, only to learn that the girl at the desk refused to check me in without my ID (I had forgotten my wallet in the car), despite the fact that we had already pre-paid for the room! She wouldn't even let me go up JUST to drop off all the bags I had, but instead, insisted that I wait in the lounge for nearly 45 minutes until my husband found a parking garage for our car. When I asked the same girl at the counter for parking garage recommendations, she told me of their hotel's parking lot (which was more expensive!) but couldn't recommend any other ones that were nearby (despite the fact that apparently there is one just across the street from this hotel!). Completely useless and unhelpful! I can't imagine how frustrated I would have felt if I had JUST arrived from Europe after a 27 hour plane ride, only to be welcomed by this robotic and uncaring front desk staff!
Mind you, we had also booked the room months in advance and had asked for a quiet room in one of the higher floors so that we could rest before our long flight back, only to be given a room on the lower floors that faced the noisy alley street, where in the middle of the night, we could hear the club music and club goers downstairs.
The room itself was fine, and nothing out of the ordinary. After such a memorable honeymoon trip in New Zealand, it was just unfortunate that we had to end it on such a horrible note at this hotel. I understand though that perhaps our experience could have been different had we been welcomed by a different staff or at least a better attitude towards customer service!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern spacious high-rise - In the heart of Auckland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your CityLife Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citylife Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Citylife Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Citylife Hotel
- CityLife Auckland New Zealand