“Fine central location. One of the better Auckland hotels”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Dunedin
“Fine central location. One of the better Auckland hotels”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Due to problems at my end the management of a full hotel took an out of service room and made it available within 30 minutes of arrival. Everything was as it should be. y My room was large and clean. A generous sized bathroom that included both a shower and a bath. The room was quiet which is always a plus. Car parking is available for a fee ($15 per 24 hours). This is approximately half the price of other nearby parking stations. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. With it being a central location it is within easy walking distance to restaurants, theatres and down town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Artmcleod,

The team and I enjoyed reading your review and we thank you for having taken the time to write it.

We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and I was delighted to hear that we succeeded during your stay with us.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel very soon.

Best regards Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I planned to spend one night but decided thing were going so well that another night was worth it. Parking and a business value pack are extras but add to the experience. At $15/day the connected car parrk is a necessary in downtown Auckland. Walking distance to all things.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Alexander M,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read your review and learn that you enjoyed the first night so much you chose to extend.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Our room was large and clean but felt older style, however this didn't detract from the comfort of the room. The bathroom was also large and was well equipped with a shower and a bath. The room was quiet which is always a plus for us. Car parking is available for a fee ($15 per 24 hours). This is approximately half the price of other nearby parking stations. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The location is within easy walking distance to restaurants, theatres and the waterfront ferries.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennifer F,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and for your review following your stay with us. Overall we were thrilled to read your comments and learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel in the very near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Ended up here via Wotif using their "mystery deal" so the price was excellent. Yes the rooms might appear dated but mine was thoroughly clean, the beds were very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the staff downstairs very pleansant and helpful. Only slightly irritating aspect is that they take a $100 deposit on your credit card - not a problem for most people but could be if it was a tourist debit card. Given its location - just out of the centre it is really convenient and quiet with good access to Aotea Square via a tunnel from the car park level. I would stay here again as auckland can be pretty variable for quality/price/comfort and noise!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DDFA
Dear DDFA,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland we were delighted to read your comments with regard to the experience you had with us.

I understand your frustration with our bond policy, unfortunately a very small percentage of dishonest travellers have required these types of procedures are in-place throughout New Zealand and many other destinations around the world.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Aberdeen
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Although this isn't the 'worst' hotel I've stayed in, it is the most disappointing that I can recall, in terms of expectation.

The rooms are quite pleasant, with clean (slightly tired-looking) furnishings, and an excellent, spotless bathroom. The elevator is also excellent, and incredibly quick.

However - this hotel will irritate and upset any customer who expects adequate customer service and any sense of attention to detail.

The hotel offers something similar to 4-star facilities, without 4-star service.

At check-in, there was a unclear lack of policy regarding the hotel's request for a $200 deposit. I booked the hotel using the booking.com app; some of the hotel's booking policy was not made available on that site at the time of booking. Compared to the front-desk staff, the assistant manager was vastly superior in his customer service skills. If it wasn't for him, my partner and I would have immediately looked for another hotel.

The concierge service was horrific. The staff took so long to deliver our bags to our rooms, that I had to go downstairs to reception and collect all of the bags myself.

The hotel also attempts to offer valet parking. At checkout, a worried concierge man asked us, "Do you have the car keys?" We replied, "No, of course we don't have the car keys....we gave them to you!" There then ensued a short amount of panic in them finding the keys.

Then, a member of staff walked straight into our room to restock the minibar without me having asked her to enter. My partner and I had been asleep on the bed at the time. Not only were we woken up, but the member of staff offered nothing remotely resembling an apology.

Finally, at checkout, the duty manager asked us if everything was OK with our stay. I told him about all of the above; he simply looked dejected but offered nothing in the way of explanation or compensation for this.

If you are at all concerned about attention to detail, or good manners from staff, I recommend avoiding this hotel. On first glance, this looks like it ought to be an impressive hotel. The reality is that it offers 4-star rooms, with the veneer of respectability; behind this, the staff operate as if they have just completed a impersonal crash-course in Hotel Management, with plenty of 'key phrases' spouted, but no real understanding of customer service. A thoroughly disappointing experience, and not worth the money that is charged.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loud_organist
Dear loud_organist,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and for your comments, in advance I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you have continued travelling through New Zealand and any other part of the world you will learn that all hotels will request a bond in cash or that is held against your credit card, it is unfortunate but there are a small percentage of travellers that are dishonest and therefore required this type of action.

It is clear that through your stay you experienced a level of service that falls well short of our minimum expectations and that of other reviewers on this site and for this I offer you once again my sincerest apologies.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Never again will i stay in this hotel. I've stayed in this hotel many times on business over the past 18 months along with some of my staff. This stay was for 3 nights with my family.
We arrived at around 4-30 pm on the Friday and as usual i went into the connecting carpark but there were no parks available for guests, so i drove out and around to the hotel entrance to drop my Wife and Daughter off along with our luggage. This area was also very busy, however there was one park available so i decided to park there. As i started to reverse into the carpark, the attendant (Tom was his name) started yelling at me not to back in there as the car i was backing towards was worth $250,000. I couldn't believe what i was hearing and certainly was speechless that he was yelling at us the way he was. The next minute he ran off saying he was going to get the manager. The manager came out and had a look and said nothing to me as he could clearly see there was enough room.There was no way i was going to hit this car as i had reversing mirrors in our hire car and there was plenty of room. The other reason i was parking there was to get out of the way of other cars that were queued up trying to drop people off. Once i'd parked the car then unloaded it my wife and daughter went to check in and i explained to another more helpful attendant that there were no parks in the car park. He advised me even though it was only 4-45 pm i could park in the Datacom carparks in the parking building even though they had a sign saying you would be towed away if you parked there between 7-00 am and 7-00 pm. With that information i parked my car in the parking building. On my return to the hotel i asked (Tom) the parking attendant who was yelling at me why couldn't he have told me that instead of yelling at us. His answer left me speechless. He said because you're a [--] IDIOT.
In all my travels and hotel stays I've never been spoken too like that.
As i had a meeting to attend at 5-00pm i couldn't make a complaint straight away, but after my meeting i asked to speak to the manager. i explained the situation and his only comment was did he say those words to you, which i replied yes he did. There was no apology offered or explanation given. Clearly this manager thinks it's acceptable for his staff to ABUSE customers this way.
There was another issue when checking in but i don't have the energy to explain what happened there other than to say it ruined our 3 night stay and i'll never be back and neither will my staff.
There are better hotels available in Auckland who would value there customers better than this one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 44NZTraveller44
Dear 44NZTraveller44,

Thank you for your review and in advance I would like to offer my apologies to you for any inconvenience caused.

I have personally interviewed the team member concrened with regard to your claims. He has been in the industry for over 20 years and prides himself on offering an exceptional level of customer service, the behaviour that you describe is certainly out of character.

I would also like to reiterate that we do not and would not tolerate this type of behaviour from any team member of this hotel should it be proven.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Great staff made our stay enjoyable here, they are patient, polite and professional.
The rooms have very dated fittings and look half renovated. Comfortable and quiet, but nothing luxurious.. Was good for a room only. Minibar was dirt cheap! Certainly would return

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clayt0n_NZ
RendezvousAuckland, Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Clayt0n_NZ,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.

Guest Service is a key motivator for the team here and we were delighted to read that we were helpful and courteous I will be sure to share to share your comments with the wider team.

Once again thank you and we do look forward to you returning very soon.