“Wont return.”

Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Wont return.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Have stayed at the Rendezvous previously so when the opportunity came up to return and stay in a Balcony Suite, I booked without second thought. On arrival when checking in at 5pm (on a room available from 3pm) we were told the room was not ready but we could go up to the lounge on level 12 for drinks and canapes which were delicious. Unfortunately we had no room key as our room wasn't ready so we had to go back down to reception to get room keys. Once back at level 12 the keys were not programmed correctly but fortunately the attendant let us in.
Shortly after the room was ready so we headed in. Our luggage had not been delivered as promised. It was at this point while looking around exploring the room we found the toilet in the main bathroom still had solid waste from the the previous guest. Disgusting. We went back to reception to complain about that and to get the keys reprogrammed so we could return to the club lounge on level 12. Upon informing the front desk of the toilet problem, the reply was "Oh sorry about that" twice. Returning to the club lounge the keys STILL didn't let us in but fortunately the attendant was kind and understanding. I didn't bother to try again as going up and down the hotel in the elevator isn't why I was there.
Around 8pm we got a call from the duty manager apologizing for the issues we had with our room offering us a bottle of wine or two complimentary desserts. While this is a nice gesture I still felt let down by the overall service and finding fecal matter in a supposedly 'clean' bathroom. This is twice as frustrating considering we had to wait for the room to be 'cleaned'. It should be noted we arrived at 5pm having indicated we would be there at 4pm but traffic had slowed us down, even still with the extra hour from check in opening of 3pm, the room was late and not up to standard. The rest of the stay was uneventful and the full cooked breakfast was delicious except for rubbery pancakes. Surprisingly enough on check out we had to wait for the concierge on the phone before we could get parking validated. We could overhear that vehicles in the hotel carpark building had been broken into overnight, I'm glad we had removed all valuables from our rental! Keep this in mind when booking here.

1 Thank Tim W
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Tim W,

Thank you for responding to my message and taking my phone call with regard to your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland. As discussed on the phone the experience you describe is well below the minimum standards of service we set, it is obvious that on this occasion we let you down and for this I offer you my sincerest apologies. We set high goals and have worked hard over the past two years to improve the service and facilities of the property, I do hope you would return and we can ensure you experience the true Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland.

Best regards Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Glaziers Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many years ago and I recall I was happy with that visit so not unhappy when the taxi dropped me here this time. The rooms are very neat and clean, and the staff I found to be quite friendly and helpful. It is close to Queen street which was excellent for shopping given Qantas lost my luggage, and not far to the water or Viaduct area for a wine and meal after hours.
I did not try the food on this visit so no comment there, but I would certainly book again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Longine,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor, we were delighted to read that you found all aspects of your stay from the room quality and cleanliness, to our team, and the location. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future and thank you once again for your comments.

auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have stayed here before and we loved it. We don't know what's happened since, so many things wrong. Hinges were falling off wardrobe door, tv remote not working, housekeeping not the best, looked like dried up vomit in grouting in bathroom, dust on bedside tables. Police station right opposite so sirens going a few times through night, so if you want a quiet night, forget it. Had breakfast in restaurant and swear we were invisible, didn't get served for tea/coffee even when we asked waitress. Inthe end we had to see the manager. Won't be trying here again, so disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from police station
2 Thank Froggers50
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Froggers50,

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your views on this site. I was away from the hotel when you stayed with us and I know that our Rooms Division Manager spoke with your personally with regard to the issues you listed here.
We are extremely disappointed that after having a prior stay that was great, this last stay fell well short of all of our expectations, my offer to you is please feel free to make contact with me so I am able to ensure you experience the Rendezvous Grand Hotel that is at least as good as your previous stay with us

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

The location of the hotel is great. It is walking distance to the center and Queen Street where the shops are.
The hotel facade and lobby is impressive as there is an atrium in the lobby. However, it stops there. When we checked in at around 4pm, we were greeted not with a smile or a welcome, but a seemingly unhappy front desk lady receptionist. She did not even greet us to make us feel welcome. When I got the key, I noticed that it is on the 4th floor and my reservation is confirmed for a Club Room. I asked her about this and she told me that I am not confirmed on a Club floor. I then showed her my confirmation printout which clearly states my Club Room confirmation. She then asked me to wait while she checks at the back office. After about 15-20minutes of wait, she gave me the key with a Club Room key jacket on the 9th floor.
Went to the room and checked around, and noted that there were no bathrobes and slippers as the Club rooms have. Waited for about 30minutes for the luggage to come, but didnt come. I went down and noticed that our luggages were still on the cart beside the lady receptionist. She forgot to send the luggage to our room....UNFORGIVABLE FOR A 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!. I just took the trolley and brought my OWN luggage.
Went to the Club Lounge and it was closed for renovation....hmmm...shouldn't the hotel receptionist said something to me about this? Or didn't she know? We had to come down to the bar to get some drinks as the waiter didnt know the Club Lounge was closed. Isn't there a memo that circulates the hotel to tell staff of this. Also found out that the room we are in are NOT Club Rooms.
If the lady just told us that the Club rooms were unavailable and was giving us a higher floor instead of covering up the key with a CLUB ROOM key cover and not say anything, I would have understood. I had talked to the front desk that evening about it and was informed that the manager is checking on it and will contact us. We had an early tour the following day, but when we got back in the room at around 8pm, there was no message from anyone.
Left the hotel the following day thinking, this is not the service you get at a 5star hotel.
Communications between department is a must on things happening in the hotel. Bringing the luggage to the room within 15minutes of guests arriving in the room is a MUST...Forgetting to send is UNFORGIVABLE. A smile goes a long way and a short small talk makes the guest feel welcome and after a long 14 hour trip from the US, a sour face is the last thing you want to see and a truly bad check in to experience.
If not for the location and the rooms, this is a great hotel....but the hotel need SERVICE...this hotel lacks it. Some reception staff needs some re-training...and if there is a problem, a call would be very nice...even just to apologize for the incident and say that they are working on it.

Recommend this hotel? hmmm...I dunno...if you dont mind the rude service, but looking for a good hotel, this is it. Otherwise, I would look for another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank R_Reyes
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear R_Reyes,

Thank you again for posting another review of the property. I followed up directly with you both after your first review was posted under (robertsanfransico). We certainly had some issues and I acknowledged this both in that review and a personal email to you both along with a committment to look after you both next year.

We certainly let you down, but I am not sure if we deserve to have two separate reviews posted over a month apart, especiallyt when you did not book a Club Room but demanded to be given access to this facility of which was granted.

Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

To be honest I wasnt expecting much but was delighted with the room. It was spacious and had a very nice large bathroom. Everything was clean, the bed comfortable and good black out curtains. Not much of a view from our room 701, it looked straight across to Auckland Central Police station but that was ok, we wernt there for the view. We were going to the civic theatre and the Rendezvous was perfectly located. There is a tunnel from the hotel through to Aotea square which takes about 3 minuites to wals from one side to the other. The tunnel closes at 11pm and I wouldnt walk through it alone. We payed only $145 for the night which was good value and they didnt charge the earth for the bottled water from the mini bar. Recommended.

1 Thank GoodTriptips
Dear GoodTriptips,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read your comments and gain your recommendation. As you write in your review we are very well located to Auckland’s Art and Theatre precinct with an underground tunnel into Aotea square. Value for money is a key value of all Rendezvous Hotels, all our Hotels offer 24 hour low speed internet on a complimentary basis, low costs minibars, free local phone calls, low cost laundry service, no credit card surcharges and no public holiday surcharges.

Thank you once again for such a comprehensive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Excellent value for money! very clean room, which was quite large. Excellent central location. The facilities (pool, gym, lobby, restaurant) were nice as well. I would definitely recommend to anyone travelling to Auckland. And similarly, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a_couple_of_gypsies
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear a_couple_of_gypsies,

Thank you for choosing Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland during your recent visit to Auckland. The team and I were delighted to read your comments and endorsement of the property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hotel is in good location, just few minutes from Queen Street and bus station. Hotel itself is very clean and modern. Pool is great with ouside area to chill, you have complimentary wifi for 3 hours per day, which was nice (and not mentioned anywhere). Room was big with excellent bathroom and comfortable bed. We stayed here for New Year Eve, which was handy because it's close to the tower and fireworks. We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel, I would recommend it to anyone. Only downside was the price for breakfast, we never used it during our 10 day stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Petr K
Dear Petr K,

Thank you for choosing Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland during your recent visit to Auckland. I would like to extend my apologies for the time it has taken to personally thank you, I had missed this review.

We were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and took the time to comment on our swimming pool and leisure area, our free WIFI which is now 24 hours (now mentioned on lift posters throughout the hotel), the comfort of the room and our central location.
Once again on behalf of the team I would like to thank you for review and look to forward to one day welcoming you back to the hotel and New Zealand.