“Luxury Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington
“Luxury Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I spent one night on business and thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are of a generous size, clean and bed very comfy. Bathroom was big! Had a bath with seperate shower and 2 basins. I requested a quiet room so didnt have a view but that didnt bother me. They have a pool (bit cool for me) and only ordered room service. Meal was average. Excellent service and will definately be returning. Great for business or leisure stays.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room as I could image it could be noisey.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear NarnaWellington,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel following your recent stay with us. We were pleased to read that overall your found the experience to your satisfaction and would choose to return again. Our rooms are some of the largest in Auckland City and as you mention all bathrooms are generous in size and all feature a separate Bath and Shower. We are in a CBD location, so there will be some noise, but due to our size can provide many options to ensure a quiet room is always available. The Chef and I would very much like to learn what you had from room service that was average, we really want to make sure our guests are happy and there is nothing more annoying than an average meal when you are travelling. I would respectfully ask that you make contact with me the next time you are staying or through our reservations team.

Thank you once again for your kind words on your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

In October 2012 I stayed for two nights at this hotel for work.

The hotel is ok, but there is nothing particularly fantastic about it.

The service is pretty good and the restaurant is nice. However, the rooms are pretty boring to be in. The bathroom is quite good with a bath.

What disappointed me was that the bed in my room was made with a ripped sheet. The sheet was ripped down the bottom and I kept on catching my toe in the rip when I was trying to sleep. What surpised me was that I checked out after one night as I thought I would be able to return home after one night. However, due to work commitments I ended up staying for a second night. I was placed back into the same room as the first night. The room appeared to be serviced, however, what shocked me was that the sheets had not been changed and I had to spend a second night with a ripped sheet.

I would assume that most people who would make a bed would notice if the sheets used to make the bed were ripped. This lack of attention to detail caused me a bit of concern.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again if I could get a special deal. I would also check the bedding if I was to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear OliviaM,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, your experience with a ripped sheet is unacceptable and I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies, this falls well short of our minimum service standards. I am at a loss as to know how our Housekeeping Team Member missed the rip. I will take your comments and read them, both when I attend the weekly housekeeping team briefing and when I meet with our Laundry provider.
On check out rooms we replace all bed sheets and duvet covers, I can only guess that you or your company arranged the extension of your stay early and this information was relayed to housekeeping that the room was a makeup, rather than check out room.
I would respectfully request that you make contact with me here at the hotel. I would very much like to know your full name so I can investigate further with regard to this issue, and also ensure that we make this service shortfall up to you on your next visit.
Once again and on behalf of the team we extend to you our sincerest apologies.

Best regards

Paul
doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night at this hotel. The room was a delux double.
No complaints with the hotel.
The only thing I would change is the amount of milk for tea and coffee making, I would have liked more.
Parking was ok but I didn't like having to pay $15 for the pleasure of parking my car.
Also the car park was full of litter and rubbish.
Why people feel the urge to dump their rubbish from the cars in the car park I really don't know.
The choice of tv channels was also a bit limited.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear 26SL17,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland.
We were pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, should you have required more milk this could have been arranged through room service without cost, I thank you for bringing this to my attention as I will ensure this information is provided in our new compendiums.

Thank you once again for your patronage and your review.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

A decent hotel but nothing particularly memorable and somewhat soulless - a good place to stay for business, perhaps less so for pleasure. The rooms are a really good size and well equipped as was the bathroom but I was very aware of road noise (both traffic and sirens) both nights I was there so try and get a room away from the road if possible. It has a good gym with a mix of cardio and weights and a decent sized pool (and a sauna). Free internet was a definite plus. It is located at the top end of town so a bit of a trek to get to the harbourfront but fine for exploring Queen Street - however it does have a handy underground connecting walkway so you avoid having to cross the busy roads outside the hotel. Staff were efficient, but could work more on their general manner and customer service. The car parking uses the next door multi storey car park and overnight parking at $15 added to your bill is a good arrangement. Whilst I was there a number of the lifts in the hotel and connecting the car park were being overhauled, which meant having to wait a while some mornings to get down to the lobby.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the main road at the front of the hotel if possible - although the loca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear nickworld08,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland. The Team and I were certainly disappointed to read that felt the hotel was soulless and that the team could work further on customer care, we take your comments on board, thank you.
Traffic noise can be an issue as we are in a CDB location, however on request we can certainly place guests on the south side of the building where our Air Crew rooms are, these are very quiet. We are as you suggest a 7 minute walk to the waterfront, being in this part of town you have the Entertainment and Theatre district at your doorstep, and due to less traffic, bars etc… probably more peace and quiet.
We are as you say working on our guest elevators at present, 5 remain operational and all elevators expected to be online by late January
Thank you once again for your patronage and your review.

Christchurch ,New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times now this year and find it an excellent hotel and to a very high standard.

The room shave been refurbished and are to a high standard and provide an excellent nights sleep. The rooms are very nicely appointed and the bathroom is large with both a separate shower and bath.

The staff are very friendly and polite and nothing is a problem which is quite refreshing.

I do also appreciate the self parking at $15 a night as I feel hotels thats charge rates more than this to be a rip off.

The room has a nice large window for lots of natural light which is great, and there is a good sized desk with power plugs in easy reach to charge phones and laptops.

It is also refreshing that all the tv channels work and are clear. I often find hotel room tv's either have poor coverage or issues with reception on some of the tv channels.

There are also multiple lights to access the rooms so you don't have to wait long to get up or down to your room (currently 2 of the lifts are out of action for servicing but there are 6 lifts in total).

You can confidently stay at this hotel as I am certain they will do all they can to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear PlatinumNZ

Thank you for your frequent patronage of Rendezvous Grand Hotel, we realise that you have choice and do value your business. Thank you also for providing such a comprehensive review, I did read your other reviews of Auckland Hotels and I am delighted that in your opinion we are certainly equal to and on some occasions better than our competitors. We have a clear vision and that is to ensure we look after our guests with friendly and efficient service along with offering value for money, the team will be very proud of your comments with regard to service levels.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Large Modern style hotel in City centre of Auckland. Rooms large with exceptional sized bathroom with seperate shower and bath. Even telephone besides toilet!
Lobby very large area with dinning room across from reception. Bar on mezzanine lever with Japenese restaurant located next to.
Free internet use for 15/30 minute sessions in the Business centre located on lobbel leve.
Breakfasts very good with wide selection available. Freshly cooked fried eggs on toast done to your liking if asked for.
Had dinner in restaurant first night. Was OK but vegatable's undercooked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear the_baron1

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will mention to our Executive Chef with regard to the vegetables being slightly undercooked, this is a very personal thing so if they are not to your liking they would have gladly cooked further.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel and New Zealand very soon.

Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Rendezvous for eight days, and it had its good and bad points. Our overall impression is that it’s a nice hotel in a good central location, but could use some attention to detail in respect to management and service.

Service seemed to be lacking in many instances, from the moment we arrived in the lobby with no doorman or porter to help guests with baggage, and an indifferent and inaccurate concierge who botched our airport shuttle schedule causing us to take a more expensive taxi and generally acted as if we were inconveniencing him when requesting things. Check-in and check-out was more difficult than seemed necessary, and our laundry items had to be searched for after we finally tired of waiting for them to be delivered and had to call for it. Room cleaning didn’t extend to fully re-stocking the minibar or bathroom amenities. The exception was the woman working in the Club Room at breakfast, who was pleasant and quite attentive.

The hotel is located across the street from the Aotorua Center, which makes it an optimum location if you’re attending a conference or other event there. It’s also near the main tour bus terminal and the wharf area so that walking around to these areas is possible within minutes.

Staying in the Club Level allowed you some nice perks, such as drinks and canapés in the evening and a nice breakfast in the mornings. The Club Room was nicely laid out and had a pleasant view of the Sky Tower. It wasn’t staffed the whole time, so if you weren’t sure of what was available, often there wasn’t anyone to assist there.

The hotel is nice and has an air of a luxury hotel, the rooms are spacious and the bathroom is roomy with a great tub and shower. The minibar was adequately stocked and the room had a large selection of complimentary teas and coffee. The bed was comfortable enough, but was much harder than I care for and harder than you typically find at a hotel of this quality. Pillows were ok, being standard foam and not my preference of feather ones.

The restaurant had a good breakfast buffet and dinner meals were good as well. Service by the waitstaff was good, except that there seemed to be about one or two people less than what was needed. Even when only marginally busy, we had to wait to be seated or wait for staff to attend to us. The staff who were there were pleasant and (relatively) attentive. I think the issue was not having enough people there.

The wireless service was better than in most hotels in respect to speed. Each device needed separate connections, although there were three hours complimentary each day, after which you were required to have a connection code. The front desk staff readily provided codes, and Club Level guests received 24-hour codes free of charge. It was just kind of a hassle to keep getting codes, but overall it was pretty good.

Based on the overall mediocre service, I would probably stay at the Hilton near the waterfront next time unless there was a compelling reason to be at the Grand Rendezvous. Some attention by management as to how the hotel is being run could easily solve these issues though and make it a more pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Badmofo63,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel, it is obvious from this that we have let ourselves down as far as the experience you have had and for this I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies on behalf of the team here.
I presented your experience this morning at our morning management meeting and I would like to assure you that each person in the room was disappointed to hear your comments and left the meeting with no illusions as to where the shortcomings are occurring and what is required to ensure all guests experience great service.
The team will be working hard on the points you have listed and we would like to thank you once again for your comments.