“Room is too overpriced compared to quality”

Scenic Hotel Auckland
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. It's not a horrible place to stay but thought it was too overpriced for the quality of accommodation. There was this constant squeaking machinery noise which was slightly annoying, and a funny food smell filled the room during the evening which we weren't sure where it was coming from. One of the window latches were broken, and there was a piece of food stuck on our tea towel. Also, there was no electric blanket or extra blankets, so I was too cold during the night and couldn't sleep properly.

The location was great as it's right in town. And the customer service was excellent, and the receptionist lady offered a discounted taxi ride to airport for $35.

Overall, I thought the room was too overpriced for the quality of room you get, and will definitely look to stay somewhere else next time in Auckland.

• Stayed: October 2013
Ken M, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment. I am sorry you had some issues, we have had our aircon contractor retest the room to make sure it can be heated or cooled easily and as it should be. We pay a huge amount to maintain our aircon so it's disappointing to let you down.
We do provide additional blankets on request as in the room we can just store 2 spare pillows.
We appreciate your comment and the nice things you said about our team.
Kind regards Ken

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks recently and I'd say it's one of the best considering the price paid which is of good value.

Location is very good and service is superb, way better than some 4-5 stars hotel. Very very friendly and polite staff.

Restaurant serves very good food, but breakfast buffet could be improved with better spread ( a few more food stuff) and quality food.

Look forward to be back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

First, my room was noisy with water pipes in the ceiling.

Second, the beds were weird. They had a big 3 inch soft pad on top of them. It was as though the hotel had bought cheap beds then used the pads to make them soft.

I changed my room, as I couldn't sleep with the noise of the water pipes. The next room was quiet if I had the window closed, but noisy if I had the window open as it looked out on an air conditioning unit and grey concrete walls 2m away (see pics).

The hotel assured me that only a couple of rooms had the ugly view I had. Well, out of my window I could see quite a few other window of rooms looking into the same space.

The spongy pad on the bed was comfortable enough but was a mess in the morning as it moves around.

On the positive side, the staff at the front desk were nice, and the hotel gave me a refund when I left early.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Rod B
Ken M, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment and please accept my apology for your disappointment. The 'bed topper' normally attracts overwhelming excellent comments and is a feature throughout our hotel group. We occasionally get asked to remove it which is no problem for us. Nine hotel rooms face into the lightwell and we agree it's an unispiring view, it is quite rare that we would be unable to relocate a guest should they have an issue with the view. Plumbing noise, again thank you for bringing this to our attention we are checking in and around the room to try and find the offending noise.
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments.
Ken GM

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visited Auckland for two nights and enjoyed my stay at the Scenic Hotel. Staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. They treat you as though you are important and they value your business. Valet parking created a hassle free check-in, although I did leave my phone in the car and staff went and retrieved it for me without a fuss. The location was excellent for the two venues I was attending (about 400m away). Rooms were nice and comfortable, with hob, oven, dishwasher. The bed was super comfortable. Cleanliness was very good throughout the room. The shower cubicle was small but how much room does one need in the shower?. TV reception was good, seating was good. All in all another pleasant stay in Auckland and if I was visitng the CBD I would stay here again. Thanks Scenic Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel is less than 5min walk to the Civic Theatre. Great location in the heart of the Auckland. Room was a very comfortable size complete with a small kitchenette, table and couches. I didn't need to deal with any of the staff while I was there but checking in and out was nice and simple with friendly service. This is now my hotel of choice when I come and stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2013

good location, clean comfortable room. Bed was quite small but both my husband and I are petite so it was no problem! but taller, bigger people might find it uncomfortable. Very good value considering it was smart room with nice touches like good quality toiletries and ironing board and umbrella (which I used!) in the wardrobe. Despite being in town it wasn't noisy at all. Would stay here again if in Auckland for a couple of days.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Express Bus to/from Auckland's International Airport stops by this hotel, in a quieter CBD street opposite the Q and Civic theatres. The large rooms are suite-style with a kitchenette, a lounge area with sofas and a large desk, and a double bedroom opening off, with an exceptional comfortable soft double bed with the bonus of really good reading lights. Spacious if basic shower-room. The tiny wardrobe and lack of a chest of drawers was one of only two shortcomings; the other was being charged $10 NZD a day for Internet access, with the threat of a download limit. I do think business hotels have to include wi-fi as a fundamental inclusive in the room charge. And the extra 1.5% charge for paying by credit card is one of those extras which can feel like a rip-off.
There is an in-house cafe-restaurant, which supplies the room service (which was speedy and good), but I ate across the road in the Q CafeBar which provided great breakfast from 8am.
Overall high quality and great value for money right in the heart of the CBD, with plenty of room in the room!

Room Tip: AS a City-centre hotel, higher floors are quieter, and there are not extensive views.