“Good central location”

Scenic Hotel Auckland
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in this centrally located business hotel. The reception was generally well staffed with friendly and helpful team. We arrived at 10am and was too early to check-in. However, the manager managed to find us one room ready so that we could have a shower and freshen up after the long flight from London.

The room had a separate bedroom and sitting area. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of wardrobe / storage space. There was also a kitchenette, minibar and tea / coffee making facilities. The bathroom was clean and spacious. In the wardrobe, there was a good size umbrella, which I found very useful for the rainy days. My room faced the main street and was slightly noisy as there was no double glazing.

Breakfast was not included in my room rate. As per usual, hotel breakfasts are expensive and under-valued. I had the buffet continental breakfast one morning and was not overly impressed with the quality. There are many cafes nearby for breakfast anyway.

They have wifi (payable) throughout the hotel with very reasonable fees. I paid NZD 5.00 for my iphone to connect for 24 hours. I also utilised the valet parking option for my rented car. Again, I thought the price was rather reasonable (NZD 20 for 24 hours unlimited entrance / exit).

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is centrally located in the 'CBD' and about 15 minutes walk to the Ferry area.

Overall, a good hotel that I would come back again !

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and felt disappointed. The first room we were given was very small and overlooked a noisy ventilation shaft between the buildings. The staff were very helpful and moved us to a much larger room overlooking the street. There was a separate bedroom as such but the bed was so close to the wall one side it was impossible to get out of bed without having to slide sideways along the wall. No drawers for clothes and a tiny wardrobe where we could not open the door fully because of the bed. The whole room was decorated in brown and beige and looked drab and dreary. The windows were covered in dust and dirt on the inside and the room looked as if it could do with a good freshen up. The guests laundry facility was so dirty I could not put any clothes on a flat surface and the sink for hand washing did not have a plug. The housekeeping in this hotel needs attention as the lift doors had had something spilt down them which wasn't cleaned off in the 3 days we were there. We cannot fault the reception staff who were polite, helpful and friendly. We were booked to return for another 2 nights later in the week but decided to cancel our booking and go elsewhere.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I’ve stayed here about six or seven times over the last four years and overall found it a nice enough hotel. On my first visit they spoiled me rotten, as I was upgraded to a penthouse – which was a bit much for one person, but I appreciated the gesture.

Since then I’ve developed a better overall picture of the place, as I’ve now stayed in a series of nice enough, but very standard (various-sized) rooms.

The beds I’ve found to be very comfortable, although the rooms can be a bit too small and not very charming (perhaps a tad drab or bleak might be better terms). However, they’ve always been very clean, functional and with a decent enough fit-out – and the toiletry products provided are very good for a hotel of this type.

The gym is pretty weak, though. More of an afterthought, really. Whilst the bar doesn’t pass muster, either: I had to explain to a bartender how to make a martini. Perhaps it was just her first day on the job out of school – I hope so, anyway.

More seriously, though, staff members are always exceptionally pleasant and courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room if there's two of you.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We had a very good experience here. Upon check-in, we were given a free upgrade to a penthouse. This was a 2-level unit with full kitchen, laundry and living room and balcony/seating area on the first level and bedroom and bath on the second level. The room was clean and updated. The location is good being a 10-15 minute walk away from the harbour (there are also bus stops right outside the hotel and across the street. The only negative that we could see is that there is a construction site right next door, but, they were only working during the day and we were out sightseeing at that time, so it was a non-issue.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the service, location and facilities here. Rooms are large, with kitchenettes -- even a stocked mini-bar! For the money, this hotel is excellent value and even the restaurant had wonderful food. Very helpful staff

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed here for just one night. Firstly, they were very accommodating when we arrived at 8.00 am. from a cruise ship, and they let us into our room straight away, which was great. Large room with a well equipped kitchen area and a small but adequate shower room. Apart from probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, the room was a bit bleak and cheerless, not helped by the very large bare window which had just a roman blind, which was obviously either up, and as the room was very overlooked, was not good, or down and the room was pitch black. A voile curtain would have been nice, giving privacy and light.

Good location and just minutes from the main street. Breakfast however was very poor. It was almost as if they just couldnt really be bothered. Very little choice, no customer service whatever, reminded me of a motorway service station restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with curtains!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank polly66Hertfordshire
Reviewed February 2, 2012

You know, I read all the reviews before booking here, and although none were raving in flavor of this property, none were completely disappointed either. And that is exactly how I feel...it was clean which is very important, and the staff was lovely, which is helpful. The location was good for a couple of reasons... First, it was central. Which means that you ane not close to the Harbour, but the bus is close by and for $.50, you can get there in ten minutes. It is also two minutes away from the Aotea Center, if you are planning a movie or an event there. Secondly, the Airport Express stops literally at the from door, which is helpful if you are messing with luggage.
A Couple of things happened during our stay. The A/C went out, so it was very hot one night. When they got it fixed, there was an awful humming noise that made it difficult to sleep. BUT, the staff did get the problem fixed in short order. Then there is a (potential) problem with construction noise from next door. It started about 7:30 in the morning. But, since we are early to bed and early to rise, it was not much of a factor for us. If we had wanted to sleep in, this would have been a problem.
I heard others say that the rooms are large. I would think this is subjective, and depends on your frame of reference. The room size is adequate. The bathroom IS spacious, and in my opinion, they should have made the shower large enough to bend down to pick up the soap bar when you drop it.
You would think that after all I have said, I would not recommend this hotel, but, actually, I would stay here again. Major city hotels are a matter of trade offs. How much are you willing to spend for what you want. For me, clean takes precedence over anything else. The room and lobby furnishings are a little tired, but everything was clean. The bed was only a double for the two of us, but it was clean and comfortable.
Bottom line is that we were not willing to spend another $100 a night for posh surroundings or $200 or more for a Harbour location.

Room Tip: My room did not have a cook top, only a microwave. So, if you are planning to cook breakfast or a li...
3  Thank Geri D