“Great location, mediocre everything else”

Quality Hotel Parnell
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sacramento, California
“Great location, mediocre everything else”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I booked the rooms before I realized how little mobility my 78 year old mom and her friends are... but it also never occurred to me that a third floor room would have no lift. Or the hotel parking lot could have too few spaces for guests, or that the wifi connection could be so frustrating, or that the rooms would be so warm in summer.

The price is competitive and Parnell is a great location. The detractions were just too many for me to recommend to anyone but the solo business traveller on a budget.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the small print when booking on-line.
1 Thank Julie S
Wayne D, General Manager at Quality Hotel Parnell, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Julie S

Thank you for your recent review about our property and the difficulties faced in regard to our studio rooms being accessible by stairs.We realise this can be an issue for some guests so make mention of this on the booking website for our upper floor south wing rooms to assist guests in making the best choice when reserving accommodation. We would have been more than happy to move your Mother to a room with lift access, however, due to the hotel being fully booked we were unfortunately unable to do this for you on this occasion.

Our complimentary car parking over the property has 80 marked spaces with additional parking available on the grassed areas and where guests are unable to find a space we will assist where we can to find a place.

The weather has indeed been particularly hot this summer. We do not have air conditioning units in the guest rooms but there are permanent fans in the rooms and where additional fans are required we have free standing fans available and will always provide this when requested.
Our apologies that you had difficulties with the wifi connection, and we have contacted our ISP to investigate our coverage in that particular area.

We hope you are able to return to us at some future date.

Wayne Darbyshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Freiburg i. Br.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Back again at what used to be the Barrycourt.
And again very happy with the hotel.
Decent rooms with good ventilation and good beds.
A quite acceptable breakfast and an alright dinner.
And very friendly service.
The wifi is free if you take the trouble to join the customer club.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Wayne D, General Manager at Quality Hotel Parnell, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Freiburg i. Br.

Thank you for your recent review, and we appreciate your continued patronage. It is pleasing to see that we consistently meet your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Herrliberg, Switzerland
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I came here upon a recommendation from some family in Auckland, and I must say it was one of the best recommendations I was given ! The room was nice and spacious, with a fantastic view. I was surprised by how clean it was. The bathrooms were a bit old but I was in a unrenovated room according to the staff, who might I add were both helpful and polite. The breakfast was delicious, but I can't judge the lunch or dinner. Very close to central Auckland, a walk or a short taxi ride will be enough, and the beds were surprisingly comfortable. All in all a very nice hotel, which I do recommend to anyone who intends on going to Auckland.

Room Tip: Try to ask for one of the renovated rooms, or go to a third party website such as Booking.com
Dear William B

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your subsequent recommendation of our Hotel to other travellers. It is always pleasing to receive positive feedback and I will ensure that your comment on the standard of room cleanliness is passed onto our housekeeping staff. Our refurbishment programme is on-going, and at some stage in the future we will upgrade the bathrooms as and where required in each of our guest rooms.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Auckland, New Zealand and Quality Hotel Parnell sometime in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed there a night in May 2013, good location, very close to the Rose Garden. The room was okay, but bath room was a bit out of date, still clean, just wouldn't want to spend more time in the shower. Service was okay, friendly but not very warm. The highlight was the breakfast, that's all I could remember that made me happy about this place. Having said that, it's fair for its price.

Room Tip: Not by the lift nor stairwell
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wayne D, General Manager at Quality Hotel Parnell, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Chris_ryb

Thank you for your belated review, and your subsequent comments. We hope that we have the opportunity of a return visit from you in the future, as we feel that we have made positive steps over time to improve on our service levels and facilities.

General Manger
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is certainly not a five star hotel - in fact it's a pretty old motel that used to be called Barrycourt. But there has been a lot of renovation and the room interiors have come up pretty well. We arrived at night and I had a sinking feeling looking at the concrete block building - it's not pretty and I was concerned how things would be inside. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment on Level 3. On check in the lobby was fine and it was easy to park outside - rather like motel parking outside the building - which was very easy and convenient. Our apartment was quite large - both bedrooms had 2 beds - one with 2 doubles and the other had a double and a single The bathroom was large enough (with a washer and dryer inside), a kitchen and a lounge room with all the usual features and a deck outside with a nice view of Auckland. You can certainly tell it's an old hotel but the refurb is tastefully done and everything was clean and tidy and modern. The bedrooms had old fashioned wardrobes - the kind that have a dressing table built into the centre - but it provided more more useful space than most modern bedroom furnishings.

Internet is free - but you need to join the club! After signing up to the the Quality Hotel club we had free internet access and it was great high speed internet that worked brilliantly - this is a huge advantage as so many hotels charge a bomb for internet. Location is another great thing about this hotel - it's about 5 mins walk to Parnell Road - a street full of coffee shops and restaurants - and some fab boutiques. It's so much nicer in Parnell than the city (just 5-7 mins away) - so why wouldn't you want to stay here!

The only downside of the hotel was noise - but a very particular noise. On the first night, I could hear voices like they were next to me - as it turned out, there were people sitting on their deck above our room and the voices just carry so much. I actually had to call Reception at 2am to say the voices were getting quite loud and I was unable to sleep and within minutes it stopped. The next couple of nights there were obviously older people in the room above so their voices were quieter when they sat on their deck - but even then, for some reason if someone is sitting on the deck above you, you hear everything. That's actually quite a big downside if you're a light sleeper but I guess it depends on what sort of room you have!.

We paid NZ$196 a night for our 2 bedroom apartment and we booked that directly with the hotel. That's amazing value! Next time we book, I will check about the noise issues and choose a room accordingly but at that price with parking and internet and lovely staff at the hotel, you simply can't do better in Auckland. I normally use booking engines but with this hotel, call them directly as you get just as good a deal - or better!

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear MIWSing

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, and for your thorough review and subsequent recommendation of our Hotel. We are pleased that you found us amazing value for money, and that you were satisfied with the quality of our refurbishment.

We look forward to your next booking, and our staff will endeavour to allocate your a room on the quieter side of the Hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My room on the 3rd floor had a nice view of the water, and the bed was fairly comfortable. Parking was super convenient, and I'm glad they don't charge for it. The staff at reception were friendly and welcoming. The biggest down side is the terrible restaurant. My omelette was fried to the point of becoming rubber, and the fries stank of old, fishy grease. I had never before done this in my life, but--out of reflex--spit my food out onto my plate upon first bite. That is how bad it was. To the restaurant staff's credit, however, the server acknowledged the problems and my concerns and did not charge me for the uneaten meal. I'm grateful she had the courtesy and class to take my honest feelings into account. For that, she earned my respect--for herself and on behalf of the hotel, as well.

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel but don't eat at the restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Houstonian12

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and whilst we are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay at our Hotel, it was disappointing to read of your experience with some of our food items on our lunch menu. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and as a result our Chef has reviewed the cooking procedure for these dishes to ensure that we do not have any further lapses in quality, as we always endeavour to either meet or exceed our guests expectations.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.
west yorks
Reviewed February 10, 2014

only had 1 day left in N Z so booked here a triple room well we got a suite 2 gigantic bedrooms kitchen and lounge, balcony overlooking port area (fascinating) and central Auckland its a lovely area shops and eateries staff most helpfull will go again if in the area its a bit expensive to go there from Manchester though!! i thought a good value hotel and spotless clean

Room Tip: Mention Tripadvisor really!! 5th floor spot on
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wayne D, General Manager at Quality Hotel Parnell, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear franny59

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and we are pleased that everything was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the great views from your room.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to New Zealand and our Hotel in the future.