We liked this Hilton - a highly imaginative design that takes full advantage of and inspiration from its setting on the edge of Auckland’s harbour. It is white and glass throughout and looks like an ocean liner. Parking is a breeze, check-in totally up to the mark, luggage arrived in our room in minutes and the room itself (No.611) was superb, with a broad balcony on which to admire the view of the jumbled cityscape, the container port and the bay, all the way across to shabby Devonport.
Our room gave us everything we needed and maybe a bit more. While the bathroom wasn’t quite up to the ultra-new standards of the Crown, Napier (qv), no one could find anything wrong with it once you got used to the sliding door and the glass shower wall which actually looked like the door. There was a big flatscreen TV, rapid internet, a comfy bed and cool decor.
Downstairs, there is a bar for lunch snacks and White restaurant where we had dinner. This is a rather smart place, with contemporary food, not perhaps as buzzy as the scores of waterfront restaurants around the harbour and the marina. We had a particularly fine lunch the next day at a place called Cin Cin in the old customs building.
The hotel emailed us five days before our arrival to advise us that a large cruise ship, the Sun Princess, would be docking early the next morning. We got up at 6am to watch it sail in and after an hour or so it had completely obliterated our view - it was like an apartment block had arrived from Mars overnight. For a while it was a novelty, even exciting, but then the noise started to get to us - it was like having a vacuum cleaner going in your room. But we checked out by 11am anyway so it didn’t spoil our stay at this enjoyable and highly professional Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Auckland sits on the iconic Princes Wharf 300 meters out into the Waitemata Harbour. Enjoy views over the city or past the harbour to the Hauraki Gulf. Take a trip from the nearby Ferry terminal or enjoy the fun at the nearby Viaduct or Britomart precincts. Whether for business or leisure, Hilton Auckland is ideally located on the vibrant Auckland waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland Hilton
- Hilton Auckland New Zealand