“Auckland from the Hilton”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Auckland from the Hilton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

Just a stones throw from downtown Auckland the Hilton is situated on the waters edge of the spectacular Waitemata Harbour.
Easy car ,train and bus access to this location. The lead up to the Hotel is less than inviting along a car parking area inbetween a mix of residential apartments and businesses. Once through the doors though it's a lovely setting. Efficient check in, attentive staff. Comfortable clean rooms. They knew it was a special occasion that we were there celebraring and in our room we were greated with a beautifully decorated welcome cake and a note from the manager. They didn't have to do that, but it made a real difference to how we felt. Well done Hilton ! Great breakfast, top class.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher level, ours was level 7, and at the end of the hotel nearer the water. Ask if...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear rsuyker

Thank you posting your review on TripAdvisor. The team and I were pleased to welcome you to the hotel and ensure that your stay was a memorable one.

We hope to see you again on future travels.

Kind regards, Roger.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

I've had a few stays in Hilton Auckland and it is hard for me to rate this hotel due to its level of service.

First of all, the hotel itself is amazing mostly due to it's location.
The view from the bow suite on a good day is absolutely stunning.
The location of this hotel is actually getting better and better due to recent development of the downtown area. And with Parnell and Mission Bay area not so popular as they used to be, I guess it will only get better.

It has one of the best hotel restaurants and bars in Auckland, and having Asian dishes in the room service menu was a big plus personally.

The rooms are up to high standard and feels very spacious due to the white theme all over.
However, rooms on the other side of the harbour have absolutely no view.

What I have problem with this hotel is the service.
Hilton should be considered one of the top hotels in Auckland along with the likes of Sofitel, Langham and Skycity Grand. But the level of service I get from this hotel from time to time cannot even be compared to its competitors.

During one of my stays last year, I was refused of a room upgrade in a very rude manner by a front desk staff. I was told that the higher tier rooms are not available when their website show the rooms available.
And the room was not even serviced when I came back late to hotel.

I've written a complaint letter to the office and Garry, director of Operations, was kind enough to give me a call to apologise and compensate with a gift voucher.

I was happy enough with their response but this April when I used my voucher, I was booked into a corner room then had the room changed by the hotel just a few days before the stay.
They said that the voucher was not for the room type. I'd totally understand that if I was told of it before the booking was made. However, being moved to much smaller room on a such short notice completely ruined my plans for the stay. And that's not how a global hotel chain should treat its gold members.

It is really hard to give a hotel good rating when you've been so disappointed by its service on multiple occasions, even with everything else being so nice.

Room Tip: - If you don't get the rooms on the seaside, it's not worth paying the premium for this hote...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sungjae H
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Sungjae H

Thank you for posting your detailed review on TripAdvisor and naturally I am very disappointed to read your concerns. Please accept my sincere apologises for the slip-up in room type allocation when you returned to the hotel for a complimentary stay and as you have conveyed your expectation of what you thought would be a memorable and enjoyable experience did not materialize. I have personally taken the time to review your case with our front desk team, reiterating the importance of accuracy and consistent levels of service to our valued guests.

On a more positive note, I am pleased you enjoy the stunning waterfront location and the food and beverage experiences in both FISH restaurant and in room service.

We do hope to see you back on future stays to ensure next time we “Make It Right”.

southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Hotel in fantastic location, used valet parking so that made life easy, car quickly brought back as soon as required.
Rooms big comfy well appointed with the usual high end toiletries.
As a mere silver hilton honors holder the usual annoying wifi charges wrankle a bit.
Breakfast was good selection of the usual fare.
Staff especially the concierges all very professional.
No complaints at all would stay again.
Only one note to those from different timezones who might need to sleep during the day, as its right in the harbour boats start tooting once the day gets going, and there seemed to be some maintenance working going on the days I was there drilling and so forth, no dramas but just a little.
And you will likely need a sat nav to make it from the airport if you dont know Auckland .. Its not the most direct of routes.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear softywalter

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Hilton Auckland on TripAdvisor. It was our pleasure to welcome you to our waterfront property as a HHonors traveller. I am glad the team looked after you well and we look forward to welcoming you back on future stays.

Vienna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Coming again that year to our favourite hotel in Auckland we had an enormous pleasure:
The view from our bow suite was as marvellous as ever to harbour and city and this time no enormous cruise ship obstructed our view (last time this happened for all of the day)and we where not bothered by the stench of the hip´s kitchen nor by hundreds of waving and greeting us pensioners,watching us having our drinks on the terrace of our suite.
We were happy.
The kitchen of the restaurant is really exquisite (the lamb and the tuna were perfect) and the restaurant is nicely located in the direction to the sea.Service,Staff,Wifi room,room service were again first class as we had expected from last time.
We shall come again and recommend the house to our friends

Room Tip: choose a harbour view bow suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ratpackvienna

Thank you for posting your complimentary review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you both had a truly memorable experience at Hilton Auckland enjoying the harbour splendour in one of our spectacular Bow Suites. FISH restaurant certainly does boast a unique dining experience in what is one of the best waterfront locations in Auckland and I am glad that this totally met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

hamiton new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Loved everything about the Hilton until I got the visa bill and they had taken out $500 for room authorisation on a cheaper room rate and 5 days later I had to ask them to take the room authorisation off my visa bill!

Room Tip: the ferry terminal side can be noisy at night. Rooms on the north side are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear donnazart

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing Hilton Auckland as your destination on recent business travel. I am pleased you enjoyed our waterfront hotel. My apologies for any inconvenience with the hotel’s pre-authorisation process. This standard procedure should have been clearly explained to you on check-in; your feedback has most certainly been shared with the front desk team.

I hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the ‘City of Sails’.

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Great location in terms of scenery, although a reasonable walk from the centre of Auckland. Nice staff, nice rooms. If you're oceanside nice views (if you're not, bad views). Overall, sleep quality was let down by a thin door = corridor noise unmuted.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear John M

Thank you posting your review on TripAdvisor and as per our previous correspondence acknowledging the online hotel survey you completed I am glad you enjoyed the hotel.
My apologies for the noise disturbance you experienced from the corridor; I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on future stays.

Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Before starting our four weeks cruise with the Holland America Lines "Oosterdam" we arrived in Auckland to stay for two nights at the Hilton Hotel to relax and refresh from travelling for 36 hours.
The reception staff was very helpful upon arrival, but also to arrange our short travel to the cruise terminal later on. We got useful information about Auckland.
the room was clean, spacious and comfortable.
We had a verry good nights sleep and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Glad we booked this hotel, as it was at the same ihgh standard at the next four weeks on our cruiseship.,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Frederik1947

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland prior to your cruise ship holiday last year. I am glad your stay was relaxing and memorable. especially with such ease of transferring directly onto the ship from the hotel. It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back should you return to the “City of Sails’ on future travels.