“Great Location, Service and Views@”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Orangevale, California
“Great Location, Service and Views@”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

I stayed at the Auckland Hilton for three stays during December 2007. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a deluxe harbor view room twice and on the last stay received an upgrade to a Bow Suite looking out over Waitemata harbor. The suites are amazing with a long wall of glass and the show of boats really demonstrates why Auckland's nickname is City of Sails. And the balcony must be 100 feet long. Plus this isn't a shared balcony, you have it all to yourself. I'm not usually one to do room service but we did just to enjoy the amazing view.

On all three stays the staff was excellent and the breakfast we were given in White was delicious with a huge assortment of choices.

Overall I'd give this hotel a big thumbs up.

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Califdavid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

We booked this hotel through wotif.com, but Hilton.com will meet any competitor's rates. We loved the ship-like architecture and decor of this hotel. Our room had a lovely deck with great views, an especially comfortable mattress, and large bathroom. The staff was incredibly helpful. After our taxi driver cheated us on our fare from the airport, the hotel valet arranged for us to use another taxi company for our return trip, which resulted in a much nicer driver and a savings of $50 in taxi fare. The cocktail lounge is well-designed, has great views, and lovely wines. We are frequent guests at Hiltons and we think this is one of the best Hiltons we have ever stayed in.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank hanalei2014
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

My family and I stayed here for one night at the end of our two week driving tour of Northland. We stayed in two connecting rooms on the seventh floor looking back to the city. As other reviewers have noted, this is a sleek and modern hotel, well situated right at the wharf dock. It's definitely expensive but that's because it's the Auckland Hilton! First, the positives and then the negatives: we loved our rooms. (We got a king connecting to two twin beds.) They were well equipped, plush and very comfortable. The bathroom and shower were spacious and well designed. There's an interesting outdoor pool outside the small gym. One end of the pool is transparent and you can see the front check in area four floors below. Very cool! My wife got a massage on our deck and she said it was wonderful. The decks have an eye-popping view back towards the city, but as others have observed, if there's a cruise ship docked at the wharf, it not only obscures the view, it obliterates it. We were lucky there were no cruise ships docked there when we stayed at the Hilton, but I did take a picture at the beginning of our trip for the ferry to Devenport that clearly shows how even a relatively small ship can get in your way there. That being said, the Hilton is right on the water, right on the wharf and there are literally dozens of restaurants and a few shops close by. I was able to drop off our rental car at the front check in area and the concierge facilitated the rental car agency sending someone over to drive it away so I wouldn't have to do any more navigating on Auckland streets. Prior to our trip, the concierge desk was also able to arrange personalized transportation for our family from the Hilton back to the airport when it was time to leave. So, from that standpoint, our stay there went well. But there were two glaring exceptions: I had made these reservations almost eleven months in advance. (I had reserved CONNECTING rooms as described above.) But, on the day we were to check in, I called the Hilton's front desk to reconfirm the reservations for that night. One of our two reservations had been lost and the front desk staff seemed clueless as to how to fix my problem. (If I hadn't called, we would not have the room configuration I had confirmed 11 months earlier!) Finally, a front desk clerk was able to block out the room next to the room that still had an existing reservation. I found that really surprising. Neither room was ready at the 3pm time that other guests were allowed to check in, so we had to twiddle our thumbs. The other incident occured after checkout: when I got home to the U.S. I checked my Visa statements online to verify all of the charges we had incurred in New Zealand. I was shocked to see that, in addition to the room charges that had correctly been billed to my credit card, there was a "mystery charge" at the Hilton for almost $600 NZ. It took ten emails to Hilton's front desk to sort out that the problem stemmed from the front desk clerk swiping my card twice at check in! If I hadn't looked at my account online, I wouldn't have noticed the erroneous charge until actually getting the Visa bill in the mail. My pleasant stay at the Hilton was definitely tempered by bad memories of check in gone awry (lost confirmed reservations) and surprise to see additional charges erroneously added to my bill AFTER check out.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Problems before check in, at check in, and after check out
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingManVan
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

This was our first visit to New Zealand. We stayed just one night before we boarded our cruise ship. This was our Hilton HHonors reward stay.

The hotel is located on Prince's Wharf, close to all of the waterfront and downtown Auckland. This is the most convenient hotel for a cruise to/from Auckland. Basically, the boarding for our cruise ship occured in a adjacent wing of the same building, with a very convenient ramp to luggage loading area. Actually, a porter from the hotel took our bags to the loading area.

Everything about this property was outstanding, including the staff members we interacted with. The room was clean and well appointed, with a lot of neat conveninences (automatic light in the closet, speaker from the TV in the bathroom). Compared to most hotels in the US, I really felt that the people who worked there were well trained and willing to work hard.

If I had to complain about something, the hotel restaurant was a bit overpriced. I heard from others that the food served there was worth the price, but we had no idea since we did not have dinner there.

The breakfast was well done.

I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if you are HHonors Silver/Gold and up.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — nothing...however I understand that the actual rates are very high during peak season.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank N_and_R
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed in the 2-bedroom suites in the Hilton apartments adjacent to the hotel on the last night of our NZ trip as we were a family of 4 adults. We thoroughly enjoyed the stay, and wished we could have stayed longer. The apartment was huge and spacious, and we were right on the wharf, next to the water. The water views were unmatched. The beds were soft and comfortable, the linens and pillows the fluffiest and best I have ever slept on. Reception in the hotel were courteous and polite, and the porters were exceptionally friendly, and they escorted us all the way to our rooms with our luggage. Hotel valet parking was professional.

The only downside was the late check-in (at 3pm) and the cleaning service. We were waiting since 2:30pm and the rooms weren't ready till after 3:30pm, which I thought wasn't at all professional given the high rating. However, front reception were quick to apologise and give each one of us free drink vouchers to their Bellini Bar which made the wait a little bit more worthwhile. The comfortable lounges in the lobby and the good views of the harbour all helped as well. The only shocking thing was when we entered our room after being given the all-clear by the receptionist, we found the two cleaning guys still mopping the balcony!! They had to quickly rush out after our porter gave them a stern look. The balcony was only half mopped, as seen by the water marks!! So other than this hiccup at the start, the rest of our stay was pleasant. I would definately come back again and recommend it to others for the price, space, luxurious stay, and unbeatable location, but please just improve the speed of the housekeeping service!! Thanks.

• Liked — Waterfront, good value for money, spacious and conveniently located
  • Disliked — Definately housekeeping. Speed it up guys!
  • Stayed January 2008
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton Auckland for 2 nights in January 2008.

The hotel is new, modern and large. We were upgraded upon check-in to a Bow Suite - corner suite at the front of the property, right on the harbour. The balconies were excellent and the room, though an odd shape, was large and clean.

I've given this review 3 stars because this property didn't 'wow' me like it should have. First of all, it's expensive - never mind the room price...the drinks, the food, the minibar, and the paid internet - all were overpriced, in my opinion.

The rooms have dated almost immediately - while the bathroom is marble, it did not seem as clean as one would expect and while the double vanity & the amenities were nice, I feel the bathrooms lacked character. I guess I expected more from one of the top rooms in the hotel. The beds are very comfortable with great pillows but again, the side tables, the lamps, the tv cabinet seem to be aging a little.

Pluses? Bellini bar, despite the prices, was a relaxing place to hang out and made EXCELLENT specialty cocktails. We received two coupons upon check-in for a glass of premium (Cloudy Bay) sauvignon blanc, but it was the cocktails that won us over. The views from the rooms, & the location of the hotel in general, were excellent.

Minuses? Hasn't developed it's character yet - you can see it trying very hard to be a hip boutique hotel but I was left with the impression that 'it's just a Hilton'. Oh, and the complicated coffee machine in the room delivered some pretty bad tasting coffee (minor).

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SamW_DC
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

I can't speak about the regular rooms, but our bow suite was fantastic. With windows curving along both walls and a wrap- around deck that offered stunning harbor and city views, we were blown away. The bathroom was clean and replete with marble. Service overall was well above average. Our room was made ready despite our early arrival at 8 AM. Concierge was always helpful. The restaurant White was excellent. Even the outdoor pool was a nice refuge on a rainy day (since it's heated to around 90 degrees -- not good for laps but great for soaking). Room service food was tasty and it was a joy to have an espresso machine right in the room.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple