“Joining a cruise ship”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Great hotel if you are joining a cruise ship in Auckland as the ships berth along side the hotel. Easy to get to from the airport via the inexpensive (especially compared to taxi fare) airport bus which stops two blocks from the hotel. We had room 714 with a full view of the harbor, until the ship arrives and completely ends your view and your privacy. This was OK with us as we were leaving to get on the ship. Wonderful breakfast with a wide variety of choices which was free for us as elites but could have even been worth the $29 they were charging.
The staff was competent and very friendly. The room was large, clean and well equipped. One of our highlights was buying a bottle of wine at a nearby liquor store and ordering Cheeseburgers from room service for an alfresco dinner on our patio/balcony.. Another highlight was a trip to Waiheke Island for lunch at one of the wineries. The ferries are right next door.

Room Tip: Ask if a ship is coming in to block your water view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2012

Dear braidmacd,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the hotel on tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you found the hotel's location convenient for your needs and that you were able to enjoy a glass of wine on your balcony. As you mentioned the Ferry terminal is a short walk from the hotel and Waiheke is certainly a great day trip.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland, I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

My husband and I recently planned a three week vacation and cruise to Auckland and Australia. Not having been there! After some research we chose the Hilton in Auckland. This hotel is built right on the pier! If you ate cruising...he ship pulls right up beside the hotel! Great access to downtown and local ferries. Really the views are spectacular and harbour district with pubs and entertainment couldn't be better. We highly recommend to anyone

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Cindy_49,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your recommendation.

I hope we may see you back at the hotel on future travels.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

I was lucky enough to get a 7th floor room, towards the end of the hotel. Cruise ships tend to berth nose inwards the higher and nearer the end of the hotel you get, the more likely you will be clear of them.

That's said they are only there a short time, however if you are too and you either wanted a view of the sea or some peace and quiet, perhaps a different location would be better.

They do have a good gym and the narrowest pool I've ever seen! 2m wide narrowing to about 1.2m but plenty long enough to do twenty strokes.

Very helpful staff, genuinely so. I liked that.

Room Tip: Invest to get 7th floor nearest the big suites. All rooms get the morning sun unless a cruise liner...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Dear sashman1,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the hotel location and choice of rooms during the visit of a cruise ship while you were at the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you found the hotel team genuinely helpful during your visit. I hope that we may see you back on future travels.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband is a diamond member so we usually get pretty good treatment at Hilton hotels but the Hilton Auckland made us feel like royalties. We stayed here on points and still they upgraded us to a deluxe room, gave us 5 free drinks vouchers, and a bottle of chilled champagne upon arrival, plus free breakfasts and free wi-fi. The decor of the hotel is clean, sleek and comfortable. Our room had a balcony and cruise ships docked right outside, which was kind of fun when we watched them sail away in the evening. Bathroom was spacious, had towel heaters. Lots of sink counter space and nice hair dryer. Everything in NZ is energy saving and green, and the hotel is no exception. My husband thought the bed was too soft and it may be uncomfortable for people who like hard beds. They do offer all sorts of pillow choices. The best thing was the staff at the concierge, who were all extremely helpful in giving advice for tourism even for outside of Auckland as well as for the South Island. They booked our rental car for us from Avis and we never had to go to Avis ourselves, the car was at the hotel ready to go and they even got us special rates given to Hilton by Avis.

The only thing that could use improvements IMO was the buffet breakfast. The food was just so-so. As a vegetarian I would have preferred better pastries and more vegetables. However, the cook who made eggs to order was very endearing. He took great care to make every egg dish well for each guest. I hope he knows that his efforts were noticed and appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank probativev
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear probativev,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and the special touches we provided in recognition of your husband's Diamond Hilton honors status. It was great to see that the team were able to assist you with your needs during your stay and I have taken onboard your feedback regarding breakfast.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Not a huge fan of Hilton Hotels, we were pleasantly surprised by the clean, contemporary decor of this Harbor side location with stunning views. Unfortunately it was too cool to enjoy our balcony. We did not have problem with service as others describe. Walking access to several harbor restaurants and shops, we enjoyed a short, two night visit.

Room Tip: Check when making reservations about the cruise ship schedule so as not to be disappointed if they b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear C O,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on tripadvisor following your stay in November. I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel convenient for your needs in Auckland.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Had a great midweek stay at the Auckland Hilton. Location is excellent and views from 3rd floor where we were are amazing from the balcony. Shame we woke to a cruise ship blocking our nice view.
That said we love the big comfortable bed best on our stay of four weeks around the country!
Service is excellent as expected and breakfast food and service the best in NZ.
All eggs cooked to order not the old crustry buffet you get used to.

Room Tip: check cruise ships are not blocking you views
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Tim J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, I appreciate the feedback.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that despite waking up to a ship outside the hotel you enjoyed the views at other times. It was great to see you enjoyed breakfast and found the bed to be very comfortable.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed three times over the past two years at the Hilton Auckland and by pure luck I haven't had the cruise ship alongside problems as in other reviews. I was a passenger on the Diamond Princess which departed from Princes wharf (which gave me the idea to return and stay at the Hilton) so I can see it could be a shock if you didn't know beforehand. Only issue I've had was when I was given a room facing into the other wing. Paid a surcharge and moved to a harbour view. Didn't eat at the restaurants, too much choice nearby. Have never been greeted as a return guest, a small thing but it's always good to be welcomed back. This hotel is probably in the best location in the city. Would return, purely for the views.

Room Tip: If you can't stretch to a harbour view room stay at the Langham instead.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo