“very poor hotel”

Best Western President Hotel Auckland
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 2, 2009

this hotel was not clean, very basic ,very noisy until 3am,awful t v,no view,but superb location,needs a new manager someone who cares about customer service and cleanliness.we stayed 12 nights booked by our travel agent in the Uk,I am not given to
complaining but made an exception for this hotel.the cops came and opened my safe in the lobby I was informed of this the next day by hotel staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2009

This hotel is perfectly located beside the Sky Tower. The room was great, it had a separate kitchen bit with a microwave and fridge. It was very clean and modern and I would definitely stay there again. There is a 24 hour convenience store adjoined to the hotel which is great if you have an early tour pick up and don't have time for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank dustycat51
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Nice room large space. Living room with open kitchen, coffee table and TV in room the bedroom was a large bed with a bathroom with just a shower.

The breakfast was very nice and included in the price of our room. Great location you can walk to the Sky tower or into town. If you book tours they will pick you up from your hotel we did loads of stuff here and loved it would go back again. nice short good review. all thats needed really

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My friend and I were in New Zealand for 2 weeks. We were staying within a budget so I decided for our last night in New Zealand to treat my friend and me to the 2 bedroom suite. At $180, I thought we were getting a really nice room. I always stay in Best Westerns and found them to be reliable and consistent. We head up to the room to find that they only gave us one bedroom and locked the other bedroom so we had no access. When I went to let them know, I had to "prove" what I had reserved. Thankfully, I had my email printout. Needless to say when they unlocked the door of the 2nd bedroom, it was just a bed and a TV. The rooms had an old smell. I also found the desk clerk to be rude and condescending. Don't eat or drink in the lobby! He'll wave his finger at you and scold you for it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We choose the President for the great location, less than 100 metres off Queen St in Mid- Town area, and it was perfect, just around the corner in Queen Street was a Farmers department Store which was handy when I discovered I'd left my moisturizer at home. The hotel was very resonally priced compared to other inner city hotels and the the staff were so friendly and helpful giving us great ideas for a good days outing (Kelly Tartons Underwater World and the Auckland Museum). Our room 112, was very clean and even had a little kitchen area with crockery and kitchen sink. Television reception was the only thing that wasn.t that great but we didn't come to the city to stay in our room to watch TV either! Great shower and water pressure too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We arrived in Auckland after being in Queenstown 3 nights and Christchurch 1 night. I say this because this surely sways our view. It was time for our boys to visit a big city to shop, andmy wife and I were in the mood for a peaceful pub in which to kick back. We found that and more within just blocks of this hotel. But the hotel's basement parking is a bit tight.

Queen Street, which is just a half block down the hill, is a major shopping avenue, but High Street is where some of the more interesting shops lie. My wife and I liked a Belgian pub (The Occidental Belgian Beer Cafe‎') on Vulcan Street, which was a few blocks on the right down Queen and toward the harbor. We also ate later at Tosca, which delivers Mediterranean-style food (Spanish-Italian-French fusion). We recommend it as well.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We paid a quick visit to Auckland form the Waikato to see a show at the Civic. We had a 2 bedroom room, and the overnight parking ($15).

2 things going for this hotel are the price and location. The overall standard of the hotel is rather average, the rooms are clean, however the hallway outside our room appeared to be storage for trash and dirty laundry – albeit stored “neatly”.

The staff were realy good, we had some requests for the room, which were taken care of promptly. Due to some other driver's mix up we had to park in the incorrect spot, and this was all taken care of administratively without having to shuffle cars around, as I have encountered elsewhere. Eric did a top job at reception, and checking in/out process was probably the easiest I have encountered in central Auckland.

The bed was comfortable, as was the sofa. The tv reception was terrible. We stayed mid-week, but I imagine that due the central location it could be noisy during weekends. Restaurants, theatres, cinemas the casino and shopping are all nearby. The bathroom was clean, but the toilet had the world's most feeble flush.

As other reviewers have said, there are other more modern or luxurious hotels nearby, but none that had rates as good as this for a 2 bedroom unit. For a short term stay, with a full itinerary I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends