“Great location and good facilities”

Best Western President Hotel Auckland
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 22, 2013

2bed family apartment booked through hotel club, great price and location is excellent.
Large countdown supermarket next door, Elliot stables on Elliot street is a fabulous eating venue , lots of restaurants to suit all tastes with central seating . Windows thin so a bit of noise -earplugs help here!
Would stay again and recommend to families.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Nice small hotel with great location. Short, easy access to/from the airport bus and the bus station. Very friendly and helpful staff. Simple, clean rooms with all necessary facilities. Very pleasant stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here one Saturday night. After reading a few reviews on Tripadvisor we were ready for the loud noise of the city but it wasn’t too bad at all. Our room was really nice, very spacious and clean. We had breakfast at one of the many eating places close by. We were also really fortunate to have a late check out which meant we were able to have a leisurely breakfast. My main point (and please take note of it) is that the car parking cost is not included in your booking. That is extra that must be paid when checking out. Unfortunately I thought because I’d booked a car park when I booked the room it was included, it wasn’t. I was extremely rude to the hotel receptionist because I was certain I’d paid for it, I hadn’t! I found out the next day when I dug out my Visa statement (how embarrassing!) So please check your credit card statements and maybe even take a copy of it with you to save yourself embarrassing yourself like I did. We would definitely stay here again and we would recommend it for families and people staying for a few days as it has a kitchenette.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you are looking for a convenient, clean, and friendly place... this is it!! We had a wonderful stay here!! The staff was very friendly and very helpful! I highly recommend this hotel. The main transportation hub isn't far away, easy access to the airport bus, there is a grocery store next door, and a Starbucks down the street (not that you'll need it because there are soooooo many great cafes to get coffee from!), and Domino's pizza is just across the street. I see others have written that there are homeless people around... well what do you expect? It's a hotel in the city! I passed them multiple times everyday for 8 days and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. Also, the lift is NOT dogey as others have written! Its a fast lift that you never have to wait for! We had a great stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Friendly woman and rude man at check-in. Parking garage safe and secure.

Hotel was in the center of downtown, but wasn't noisy when we got up to our room. A lot of beggars/homeless congregate outside the hotel, which made me uncomfortable with my two children.

VERY old furnishings, furniture, and elevator. Hotel is in great need of an update. Uncomfortable beds. Took about half an hour to cool down the room but once the air conditioner decided to work, we were comfortable.

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment with two adults and two small children. The entry way was TINY and also doubled as the kitchen. The kitchen consisted of a microwave, bar fridge, hot plate, and sink. The bedroom doorway was too small that we couldn't fit the pram through without breaking it down. This room was in much need of a central living room/area. Would be a good room just to have a sleep, but wouldn't want to be cooped up in the room any longer than needed.

It is in a great location for visiting the Sky Tower, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the area. Would not recommend for families with small children.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had the first time travelling to New Zealand as a solo traveller. First, I want to praise about the convenient location
1. In the City, but not too noisy
2. Near the bus stop for airport transfer bus
3. Next to Supermarket, so it was easy when I wanted some snacks and other needs.
4. Walking distance to Sky tower (3min)
5. Walking distance to Ferry Port (10min or so)
6. Walking distance to Art Gallery (5min)
7. Near the local bus stop (outer link) that goes to Museum, Parnell etc (3-5min walk)

And I liked it because it was clean in terms of shiny bathroom, clean linen, fresh towels etc. It had enough space probably for two persons, too.

The only problem is that I did not have a nice view, just road, but I did not mind at all considering I had great-view time at nearby Sky Tower.

The service is sufficiently friendly, business-like, though. But no staff offended me at all, so I did not have any bad comments about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staffs were friendly, handy location, reasonable price but a bit old styling hotel. The lift is quite dodgy when it stopped at our desired floor you can feel the rough stopping. One of our springbeds were extremely soft. If you bring car, make sure you book priorly the hotel parking space which is safe. They have a very limited parking space. We did not book and on our second night we park inside the Tournament parking behind the hotel where someone smashed the window of our rental car and took our GPS. Yikes, I thought Auckland is as safe as where we live, Christchurch.. We are surely wrong on that part!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family