“Comfortable and clean”

Ranked #48 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Napier, New Zealand
“Comfortable and clean”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed here Guy Fawkes night, and thankfully we had a nice quiet room and had a good nights sleep!
It's your usual hotel room,which was nice and tidy and clean.The only complaint would be the over use of a cleaning product,that made the room smell strongly and we couldn't get rid of it.
Reception was ok, but would recommend they have a map of the rooms and show you on arrival where it is.We got lost!
Would stay here again,as it is quiet and central.

Room Tip: Ask to be shown were room is.We did ask for a quiet room,and we got one.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cater63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We were lucky to get into this hotel given how busy Auckland was for the world cup. Though it has seen better days the hotel and rooms were well equipped, spacious, clean and comfortable. Very friendly staff who couldn't be more welcoming and helpful. Maybe not one of the most glamarous places I've stayed but in terms of value for money certainly one of the best. Thank you Quality Inn West End - you were great!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the main hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed October 24, 2011

By far the worst hotel I've stayed in over the last few years. We stayed in the part across the road from the main building. It was a dingy and dark room with grey towels and grey sheets. Very nasty.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank David H

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Vacation, this word means different things to different people. For some it may be a break from work and school, while for others it is going to somewhere exotic to get away from the normal surroundings of life. When people go on a relaxing vacation, they expect comfort, organization, and convenience. On this particular vacation I took to Auckland, New Zealand, this vacation was both an escape from school and normal life. For a week during my spring break, my family took a vacation together to New Zealand. My expectations for this trip were high. I’d seen pictures of the beautiful nature and heard about the amazing shopping. During our time in New Zealand we stayed at different Inns and hotels throughout the city. We chose different spots based on location, then we chose different inns based on price and cleanliness. When I think back to when I stayed at different places in New Zealand, I think about one Inn in particular; this would be the Quality Inn West End.
The Quality Inn West End was where my family stayed for three nights. A remarkable location is desired when it comes to tourist’s attractions. This inn is conveniently located 30-45 minutes away from international and domestic airports. After many tourists fly for many hours at a time to get to the island of New Zealand, not many want to drive much longer. Location is nearly the most important aspect when picking a place to stay on vacation because a traveler wants to visit as many places as they can without having to take up time with driving. Within a 15-20 minute drive from the Inn, the Auckland Zoo, Western Springs, Eden Park, and the Needle are all easily accessible while staying at the Quality Inn. A benefit amid staying at the Quality Inn is the workers provided us with many pamphlets to guide us to the best site seeing places around the city of Auckland. One day, one of the hotel workers called for a reservation for a tour van to take us site seeing for the day. The van picked my family and another hotel guest up in front of the Inn. During this day trip we were able to easily go into the rainforest, much like where The Pirates of The Caribbean was filmed, the black beach, the mountains where we went to a waterfall, and into the city. If you are going to Auckland on business, staying at the Quality Inn is an easy walk to Auckland’s City Centre for the business community. Also, the city, which is near the Inn, is filled with authentic restaurants and up to date fashion shops. While the location is exceptional, the price of the Inn is also something to be taken into consideration.
While considering the pricing for an inn a person must take into consideration the location, the surrounding sites desired to visit, and the duration of the stay at the accommodations. A Quality Inn in the States, in an equally populated city as Auckland, is nearly half the price per night. This may be a deal breaker for some but because it is in an exotic place and surrounded by so many great sites, to me the price was worth it. The price was acceptable only because I stayed there only three days. If I stayed longer than a week I would have looked elsewhere because of the higher price. When looking into a place to stay one will consider the location and the price but online pictures don’t do justice when actually going to the hotel or inn.
A few aspects of a location can’t be answered before going to an inn. They are the style and cleanliness of the spaces. These questions can’t be answered until after seeing the housing. When I saw the outside of this inn I was impressed with the old architecture and design of the place. However, once inside, the up to date style is lacking. Particularly the bed comforters, they were the original ones from when the Inn opened which was in the 80’s. The age of the comforter was shown by the discoloration and the bold flower theme, this made the room look dingy and a bit dirty. Shabby carpeting caused the value of the room to decrease. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained. This room was essentially my favorite part of the stay because the shower had an open window that went out to the back of the inn. Since it was in the back and gated I didn’t have to worry about leaving the window open. The view was great; it opened directly into exotic and beautiful trees. Nothing in the room was broken but rather worn from the years. When walking into the lobby, one of the first things I noticed was a cat sitting on a nearby chair. I was confused as to how a pet was allowed to stay in the inn. Quickly, I was informed this was the house cat. It was there all the time and wondered where it pleased. This cat was no harm to me, but I’m sure it would be a bother to those with cat or fur allergies. Although the cat is referred to on the Inn’s website, it could easily be overlooked and cause certain inconvenience for those allergic. Walking through the lobby to your room you pass a large indoor swimming pool. I never swam in the pool, even though it was nicely heated, I didn’t care for the look of it. Because the inn is old, the age of the pool showed and it was unsettling to me. Although, I’m sure it was warm because many children were playing in the pool throughout my stay. Overall the cleanliness of the entire inn was good but the up to date look was absent.
While thinking back to my time at the Quality Inn West End I mostly remember all the memories that were made in the surrounding area, not much of my memory contains what I didn’t like about the Inn itself. Even though I wouldn’t mind up dating the inside or reducing the price of the stay, the time I spent in Auckland, New Zealand wouldn’t be the same without my stay at the Quality Inn West End. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is out for an adventure in the land of the Kiwi.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Kathleen P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at the Quality Inn West End for work for about 7 weeks. It's a bit old fashioned and outdated, with multi-coloured 70's carpet and peeling wall paper, but I found it to be very comfortable with great staff. The reception staff were fantastic and nothing was a problem and the housekeeping staff were diligent and reliable - and one time even washed, dried and folded my laundry when I couldn't get the machine to work. (Thank you!)

The restaurant staff were a bit distant and didn't really seem to remember me even though I had breakfast there almost every morning

The bed was very comfortable and the hot water pressure was good.

Due to the Rugby World Cup being on at the time the rate was a bit inflated and I don't think this did them any favours because the place was empty most of the time I was there.

Room Tip: I had a "Garden room", seperated from the main building and I think this was a better opti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank isc00ty
Taranaki
Reviewed September 1, 2011

A couple with one child we absolutely loved this Hotel. We had stayed in Auckland city the night before in a highly priced Hotel and found it stiff and uncomfortable. We left and were really really happy with the friendliness and homeliness of this place. Everyone made us welcome and the rooms were clean and tidy. The meals were great and it was like a home away from home. We will definitely stay there again when in Auckland and would recommend it as a friendly, welcoming, homely place to stay. Our son loved the pool. The spa was excellent and the staff were the best ever. If there is anything you are unsure of or wish to know ask the staff they are very helpful - all of them from Chef, to Reception staff, to Cleaning all lovely. Thanks so much for a great stay :D

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul and Camill... M
New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed here for business. My room was in the hotel part and direly in need of refurbishment. Furnishings, bedding, towels - all drab, very drab. My "white" towel was so grey that I actually wondered whether it ever sees hot water. The overall feeling of the room was old, grey and past any use by date. The hotel is close enough to a bus stop to be able to go into the City Centre. As for trying to order a light lunch on the premises - which we tried after two p.m. - proved to be a bit of a mission. Breakfast was good enough. Will not stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business