“Super Value, Super Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I treated myself to this hotel on the last two nights of a 9 week trip down under. This is much nicer than the hotels I usually stay at because I am notoriously tightfisted about hotels. I was only able to do the 9 week trip courtesy of 3 home exchanges. The last exchange was in Whangerai, and I came into Auckland for two nights to rest up a bit before flying back to The States. I am going back to NZ in 2010 and would definitely stay here again.

Concierge and desk staff both were welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed November 2, 2009

I stayed at the this hotel from the 18-20th of September. The room was typical Crowne Plaza. Happy with the house keeping. However I had the 2 worst sleep of my life.
The first night I felt that the room was too warm. The thermostat in the room did not seem to work. I had it on 10 degree Celsius and I was sweating (It was spring in Auckland). I rang up the operator around 11pm. The person said that he was sending someone up to fix it. Half an hour later, no one came to the room to fix the problem, so I rang again. The same guy them told me that they could fix the air condition from downstairs! I should wait for another 15 minutes before the room will get cooler. I wish he just told me that from the beginning so I did not have to wait and wait! Around midnight I was half asleep when the reception rang to check whether the AC was working. I confirmed it was working. Half an hour later the concierge rang to check about the same thing! I need my sleep!
The second day, during the day the AC seemed to work OK. I had not problem going to sleep, until I woke up at 2am sweating profusely. I rang the operator again. She said that someone will get in contact. I received a call about 15 minutes later. I explained that the room is too warm and I need to AC readjusted. She claimed that the thermostat was on 10 degree (!). She said she was moving it to 12 degree.

I waited and waited for the AC to start to cool down. An hour later, I couldn't stand it anymore. I checked the air that came out of the vent - it was HOT! I rang the operator again and said someone fixed my AC but now it's hotter than ever. The lady on the line was really apologetic. She said since the upgrade of the air conditioning system, they had so much problems. She checked the system while talking to me. She said someone adjusted the AC in my room to 28 degree!! She said that she has readjusted it back to 20 degree. The AC worked OK for the whole night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank durianlizard
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I'm stayting at the Crowne Plaza Auckland for 2 weeks while on business.

There is a lot to like about this hotel and only some minor improvements I can suggest.

The hotel is centrally located downtown and a 15 min walk to the water side.
The lobby is very large and often times quite busy with various groups and activities
Front staff are very friendly and helpful.

There is a bank of several elevators so the wait is never long.
Card swipe access is required to go to your floor.

I am on the 26th floor. My room is very spacious and comfortable.
Features include:
- Lots of hangars and drawer space
- Large safe that I can even fit my laptop in
- Flat screen TV with free Sky movies
- Work desk with wired internet and telephone (2 telephones in room)
- Very comfortable bed with 2 types of pillows + a pillow menu

There is a gym with several types of aerobic equipment + free weights

The breakfast was very comprehensive and fresh with lots of healthy choices.

What I liked
- Great room space, cleanliness and ambience
- Comfortable beads and quite sound-proof rooms
- Friendly / helpful staff
- Easy access to downtown

To improve
- The gym does not have any type of spray sanitizer to wipe down the equipment.
- The internet access ($15 daily charge) can sometimes slow down and will throttle speed after 500mb of downloads, so this could interfere with some work requirements.....however, talking to some IT people, it seems that the main line out of New Zealand to the outside world is only 5Meg, so this is a country problem, not a hotel problem.
- The chair at the work-desk should be replaced with a proper more comfortable work swivel work chair - the current one is NOT comfortable.

What you should also know:
- Parking ($18/day) is extra
- Depending on your rate type, the full breakfast is $30 (not sure about continental)

Conclusion:
- My first choice in Auckland

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank deathracer
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed for two nights at the Crowne Plaza in Auckland. The location was fantastic. We were very impressed. We got a great rate by booking online direct with the hotel and were so thrilled when we got into our room and found that we had an amazing view - looking at the Sky Tower. We were so well located in Auckland that we were able to easily walk to the places we wanted to go. We got a MAXX bus into the city from the airport and simply walked through an arcade to get to the Crowne Plaza. We definately recommend the Crowne Plaza and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We booked the Crowne through a last minute hotel booking system so got an outstanding price for a Superior Room on both occassions we stayed during our trip to New Zealand.

We arrived in the early hours of the morning after travelling from the UK for over 30 hours to be greeted by a friendly professional member of staff who greeted us by name as we approached reception and informed us that our room was awaiting us - we were made to feel extremely welcome which was great after a long journey.

Room was outstanding and spotlessly clean. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in and I've stayed in many hotels. Plenty of clean towels in the bathroom and other condiments. The room was decorated beautifully and felt very welcoming.

Restaruant was superb and staff extremely helpful and friendly . Service was superb and the food outstanding value for money - in fact it cost us less to eat in the restaruant than to eat in Auckland!

We were so impressed with the service and facilities available to us at the Crowne Plaza we booked a further two nights at the end of our holiday and once again we could complain about nothing the service and value for money were totally outstanding.

Our overall view of this is hotel is it is worth every penny and would be more than happy to recommend it to anyone who requires a hotel whilst in Auckland.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy2471
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Were on a multi stop South Pacific tour and selected this hotel based upon other positive reviews. Of 14 accommodations, mainly hotels, that we used this may well have been the best (and we were fortunate enough to have good experiences throughout). The location could not have been more central, the room was excellent and the car park convenient and time extended by friendly staff the next morning.
The breakfast (paid for separately but within the figure below) was as good as can be had.
Admittedly we booked at an internet deal of 190 N.Z. dollars with said breakfast (car park was another 8 dollars).
The somewhat unusual nature of the foyer might be offputting to some as is open to an adjacent mall, also the slightly godforsaken nature of plumb central Auckland may not be attractive but that's hardly the hotel's fault.
Mere yards away the revolving restaurant in the Skytower was a surprisingly good-value and pleasant experience (make sure you book the lunch with tower access deal as is barely more than the cost of the access alone).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Swansonian
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We spent two nights in a club room at the Auckland Crowne Plaza. The room was comfortable with a large bed and many pillows. Although the sofa in the room is a one-sitter it was still nice. Our room overlooked the city, and therefore we did not have the same issue of being across the street from another hotel.

The Club Lounge on the top floor is not a nice as others but it was still good. It is not particularly large for a hotel that caters to businessmen. One could easily see how if everyone rushed in for breakfast at the same time that space would be an issue.

Breakfast in the lounge consisted of basic food items like cereals, hot and cold pastries and fruit. All in all, nothing special but it fit the bill. The afternoon nibbles were nice, along with canapes in the evening before dinner.

As with a previous reviewer the sole computer in the lounge can be a problem. Although there is a sign asking others to be mindful of those wanting to use the computer, there is no one there enforce it. Fortunately, we did not have a problem.

The hotel is centrally located with access to all the treats of downtown Auckland.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple