“Excellent hotel”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was my wife and I first holiday away with our 3mth old daughter.

We’ve stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and decided to stay here again due to the central location of the hotel and it’s amenities.

We requested a cot/crib at the time at the time of booking and it was set up in our room on arrival.

Our room was on the 23rd floor facing towards Queens Street. The room was large and spacious, even with the cot/crib nearby.

We had breakfast each morning. The staff were very helpful especially when they saw we had our young one with us.

There is a self-service laundry on the 17th floor, which we found useful when we needed clean and fresh baby clothes.

The hotel is centrally located and most things are easily within walking distance.

There is a good gym on the 12th floor with a good selection of cardio machines and weights.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear jbg7,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your fantastic 5 star review! I'm delighted to read you had another great stay with us - now with your 3 month old daughter. We are Thrilled to hear your great comments all around which is a real motivator!
Thank you for highlighting all aspects of your stay as its always good to know that we are in the right track providing consistent genuine service to all our guests.

I look forward to welcome you and your family in near future.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Thats us!
E-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

999 - 1,005 of 1,821 reviews

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Was a super busy weekend in Auckland, and my (plus friend had a) booking for a room with two queen beds had been changed to one king bed room.
Hotel reception were extremely apologetic and managed to do some magic (with complete occupancy for the two nights) but we were down graded (not that I would have noticed) but offered a refund for the difference (as cash!!).
Room had two double beds with a lovely view to the east of the city. Extremely clean and great housekeeping. Was perfect.
The view from the lifts would be amazing (if I wasn't afraid of heights ;-)
The bar downstairs was very welcoming and had very good coffee!
I thought it was a fabulous location, practically next to the Sky tower and a short walk to the harbour.
The mix up at check in was handled really well - and I was left feeling very positive about it all - great customer service! Concierge/door men were fabulous as well!

Room Tip: Higher the better! East side meant lots of sun in the morning - although the block out curtains wer...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear lilbluehorse,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I do really appreciate it when our guests award us this accolade. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, apologies that we got your rooms wrong, However I'm delighted to hear that our team were able to resolve it to your satisfaction. Thank you for your kind words. I will be sharing your comments with the team - Its a real motivator!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Great location! Great Hotel!!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our family of three stayed in a double queen room over two nights. We were really impressed with the room, amenities and, especially, the friendly and really helpful staff. Parking was really cheap at $10 pn (weekend rate). The location of the hotel is one of the best features. It's less than 10minutes away from Queen St, and the same to Skycity, but far enough away that there is virtually no street noise. The inhouse laundry facility is an asset, as is the gym and the glass lifts - our son thought it was a carnival ride :). We are so happy with our stay, that we've already started to plan our next one. Thanks so much!

Dear Vaaria2010,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I'm delighted to read you absolutely loved all aspects of your stay - our location, our room, amenities, parking.
Yes, we do have an inhouse laundry on 17th Floor which is really convenient for our guests and not to forget our gym on the 12th Floor which is handy for guests who love themselves( I'm one of them too). I'm thrilled to read your son loved his carnival ride :)
Thank you once again for your fantastic review.

We can't wait to welcome you again.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - A very cosy corner between NZ and your heart!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Spent over a week here on business.

The room allocated (1619) was a very good size, and very comfortable.

Room itself: Large with plenty of space, king size very comfortable :-), and after recovering from the jet lag had no problems with 8 hours a night!!!!
Airconditioning - I know there is supposed to be some, but it didn't seem to make a difference where I put the thermostat, it stayed the same comfortable level.
There is a large window that lets in an acceptable amount of light, but there is no real view, unless you like the view of a car park! Look around the "corner" and there is a bit of skyline.

Bathroom: Large with a wetroom area, I think also caters for disabled guests. There isn't a huge amount of space or shelving near the sink to take toiletries, as it is only really big enough for one. But still acceptable.

Restaurant: I had breakfast here each day and the initial service to get you to the seat was good, however, they are not very proactive when it comes to serving more coffee. More suited to a relaxed event rather than a quick turnaround.

Café: Had a meeting in the café section and it took a long time to get any service for coffee, and even after finding someone to serve us, they did need some reminding to actually provide the drinks.

The reset of the staff from concierge and reception staff were very good, helpful and cheerful.

Overall a good hotel, though somewhat let down a bit my the level of service in the restaurant/café.

Location: Very close to the Skytower (<5 minutes walk) and the harbour area for either the ferries to the islands, or the cafes/restaurants (about 10-15 minutes walk).

Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear SteveGreenway,

Thank you for your well written review, I was gripped........... I am delighted to read your comments regarding our team, our room, our breakfast and our location. However, I am disappointed to read that we let ourselves down in few areas, Rest assured this will be addressed and fixed immediately.

I look forward to welcome you in the near future and I am positive you will give us a 5 star review!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Where it's all very Real!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotels locality was perfect for us. Very comfortable bed, great staff - especially Winston and his fellow workers in the Restaurant. Meals were top class. We enjoyed our stay and would book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view. They are very helpful
1  Thank 469Diane

Dear 469Diane,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us and found our location perfect for your purpose of travel. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team especially Winston - He is certainly one of our superstars! I'm thrilled to read your comments regarding our ARIA restaurant as we have just changed the menu- Our Head Chef Adrian and his team will be delighted to read your comments. Thank you!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Where the beds are soft and the coffee strong!

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Had 3 nights here for business. The room was clean and made up well every day. A good sized room and bathroom. My big gripe is the air con.....cccooollllldd. I worked out that you need to turn the temp up to about 30 degrees (celcius) for it to be a comfortable level. The other thing I didn't like was the hairs ( not mine! ) on the blanket. Do they ever get washed?

The location was good, the service was good and the gym was ok also. The Aria restaurant puts on a fantastic breakfast and the dinner was also delicious.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear TokyoRocker,

Thank you for your review! I'm pleased to read you had a good stay with us and found the location perfect for your purpose of travel. I'm delighted to read your comments regarding our fantastic breakfast and delicious dinner and our service. Thank You!
Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the room temperature but I'm glad this was fixed. I can confirm that the extra blanket which is sealed in the bag are washed after every use. Guest safety and hygiene is of utmost importance to us. Only if you would have informed us we could have resolved it immediately to your satisfaction. Thank you for highlighting your concern, rest assured I will be actioning this immediately.

I look forward to welcome you in the near future and I'm positive you will give us a 5 star review!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guests at the heart of everything we do!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

A perfectly located central Auckland hotel with good service and nice rooms. They've updated a lot of things to keep the comfort level high, but you can see some slightly dated fixtures in places - it's nothing that stops it from being an excellent, comfortable stay, but it's not the 5+ star look they'd LIKE to have. Fortunately, the service is. Beds were very very comfortable indeed, rooms very clean, tidy, and modernised well... all in all, good.

EXCEPT: How in the name of all that is reasonable and tourist/business friendly can they justify extra charges for wireless access in this day and age? Seriously, what a joke. We won't be staying again until they join the rest of us in the current internet era. It's not like there aren't hotels just as good in Auckland that aren't competitive, *with* wireless.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Ajkiwi,

Thank you for your fantastic 4 star review! I love your comment " it's nothing that stops it from being an excellent, comfortable stay, but it's not the 5+ star look they'd LIKE to have. Fortunately, the service is." Yes! we are a 4.5 star hotel providing world class service. I prefer not to put a number infront of service as service must be exceptional no matter what star it is, This is the culture we strive on.

With regards to your comments regarding internet, We offer complimentary internet throughout the stay for all our IHG Reward members. Joining our program is quick and easy.
So please come back and get spoilt with all the other benefits our IHG rewards program has to offer.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Become member of IHG Rewards Club: Complimentary Internet @ every stay!