“Great location, good hotel”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great location, good hotel”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Spent over a week here on business.

The room allocated (1619) was a very good size, and very comfortable.

Room itself: Large with plenty of space, king size very comfortable :-), and after recovering from the jet lag had no problems with 8 hours a night!!!!
Airconditioning - I know there is supposed to be some, but it didn't seem to make a difference where I put the thermostat, it stayed the same comfortable level.
There is a large window that lets in an acceptable amount of light, but there is no real view, unless you like the view of a car park! Look around the "corner" and there is a bit of skyline.

Bathroom: Large with a wetroom area, I think also caters for disabled guests. There isn't a huge amount of space or shelving near the sink to take toiletries, as it is only really big enough for one. But still acceptable.

Restaurant: I had breakfast here each day and the initial service to get you to the seat was good, however, they are not very proactive when it comes to serving more coffee. More suited to a relaxed event rather than a quick turnaround.

Café: Had a meeting in the café section and it took a long time to get any service for coffee, and even after finding someone to serve us, they did need some reminding to actually provide the drinks.

The reset of the staff from concierge and reception staff were very good, helpful and cheerful.

Overall a good hotel, though somewhat let down a bit my the level of service in the restaurant/café.

Location: Very close to the Skytower (<5 minutes walk) and the harbour area for either the ferries to the islands, or the cafes/restaurants (about 10-15 minutes walk).

Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear SteveGreenway,

Thank you for your well written review, I was gripped........... I am delighted to read your comments regarding our team, our room, our breakfast and our location. However, I am disappointed to read that we let ourselves down in few areas, Rest assured this will be addressed and fixed immediately.

I look forward to welcome you in the near future and I am positive you will give us a 5 star review!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Where it's all very Real!
E-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Masterton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotels locality was perfect for us. Very comfortable bed, great staff - especially Winston and his fellow workers in the Restaurant. Meals were top class. We enjoyed our stay and would book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view. They are very helpful
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 469Diane
Dear 469Diane,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us and found our location perfect for your purpose of travel. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team especially Winston - He is certainly one of our superstars! I'm thrilled to read your comments regarding our ARIA restaurant as we have just changed the menu- Our Head Chef Adrian and his team will be delighted to read your comments. Thank you!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Where the beds are soft and the coffee strong!
Sydney
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Had 3 nights here for business. The room was clean and made up well every day. A good sized room and bathroom. My big gripe is the air con.....cccooollllldd. I worked out that you need to turn the temp up to about 30 degrees (celcius) for it to be a comfortable level. The other thing I didn't like was the hairs ( not mine! ) on the blanket. Do they ever get washed?

The location was good, the service was good and the gym was ok also. The Aria restaurant puts on a fantastic breakfast and the dinner was also delicious.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear TokyoRocker,

Thank you for your review! I'm pleased to read you had a good stay with us and found the location perfect for your purpose of travel. I'm delighted to read your comments regarding our fantastic breakfast and delicious dinner and our service. Thank You!
Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the room temperature but I'm glad this was fixed. I can confirm that the extra blanket which is sealed in the bag are washed after every use. Guest safety and hygiene is of utmost importance to us. Only if you would have informed us we could have resolved it immediately to your satisfaction. Thank you for highlighting your concern, rest assured I will be actioning this immediately.

I look forward to welcome you in the near future and I'm positive you will give us a 5 star review!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guests at the heart of everything we do!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 17, 2014

A perfectly located central Auckland hotel with good service and nice rooms. They've updated a lot of things to keep the comfort level high, but you can see some slightly dated fixtures in places - it's nothing that stops it from being an excellent, comfortable stay, but it's not the 5+ star look they'd LIKE to have. Fortunately, the service is. Beds were very very comfortable indeed, rooms very clean, tidy, and modernised well... all in all, good.

EXCEPT: How in the name of all that is reasonable and tourist/business friendly can they justify extra charges for wireless access in this day and age? Seriously, what a joke. We won't be staying again until they join the rest of us in the current internet era. It's not like there aren't hotels just as good in Auckland that aren't competitive, *with* wireless.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Ajkiwi,

Thank you for your fantastic 4 star review! I love your comment " it's nothing that stops it from being an excellent, comfortable stay, but it's not the 5+ star look they'd LIKE to have. Fortunately, the service is." Yes! we are a 4.5 star hotel providing world class service. I prefer not to put a number infront of service as service must be exceptional no matter what star it is, This is the culture we strive on.

With regards to your comments regarding internet, We offer complimentary internet throughout the stay for all our IHG Reward members. Joining our program is quick and easy.
So please come back and get spoilt with all the other benefits our IHG rewards program has to offer.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Become member of IHG Rewards Club: Complimentary Internet @ every stay!
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

The parking was a bit difficult as I have a truck but everything else outweighed that small bump in the road. Brilliant service. Can do attitude. More than happy to help. Awesome gym too. I did have to check the bill at the end as a few costs had occurred on my bill that we hadn't had but they were quick to correct and help sort.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear TravelandExperiences,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us. Thank you for highlighting our brilliant team and their can do attitude as this is what make us different from the rest. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your bill, However I am delighted to see that our team was able to resolve to your satisfaction.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Convenient! Bcos we take care of all your needs!!
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had a 1 night stay here at the Crowne Plaza before going out on a cruise. The hotel room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast in the lounge was hearty and internet was available. The concierge assisted me with contacting a tour that I had booked. The hotel was centrally located.

Would plan on staying here again if in Auckland.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear LA_Travelers_1,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review!! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. Yes, we are blessed with our location as we are at the centre of all activities. Thank you for your kind words and I'm delighted all aspects of your stay was successful. I will pass on your comments to our concierge team in particular, They will be delighted to be online superstars!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Your exploration base!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed two nights at the Crowne Plaza on business. I was assigned a disabled access room (which may be bigger than normal), with large bathroom, large room with comfortable bed and work desk. On the 16th floor, the room was quiet. Rooms are well-appointed with a modern chaise lounge and flat screen tv. Only criticism would be for the TV to pivot so that it could be watched from the lounge as well as the bed. Check-in and out was quick and efficient. The gym is well-appointed but only has one cross-trained which could be a problem in peak hour.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear parischris2007,

Thank you for your fantastic 4 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our large, quiet room with comfortable bed. I have taken your comments on board regarding the best possible place for the TV to be placed in our accessible room, as I truly believe our guests give us the best feedback and we always put our guests at the Heart of everything we do! Thank you for your kind words regarding our team!!

I look forward to welcome you in the near future to score us a 5 star review :)

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Business or Leisure!! we can do best!!