“Very disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Australind, Australia
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Arrived for a 1 week stay at Quest. Amenities and Service are good. But not a good service for the cost we spend at Quest.
On the day of checkout, I was shocked to see the telephone call bill. An ISD call for about 4-5 mins was charged $20.55, to my surprise the bill is having all duplicate charges.
When questioned the same, the people at reception will reply that is the invoice generated from vendor co. nothing is there in there hands, and I have to pay as it is. - IF nothing is there in there hands, why they have to run a hotel - Else they should provide the bill receipt of vendor co.
When enquired about call timings and duration of call list, the receptionist is not willing to provide the data, as he also knows that they are wantedly charging more by duplicating the calls list.
After taking pain myself by explaining to what number I called and what is the duration and duplicacy in bill, He agreed and he will return any payment after checking the same from vendor co. , and if they finds to be duplicates. I dont know when the bill itself shows duplicate call timings with timestamps.
Went to Quest for almost 4-5 times to check the same about vendor feedback, but people over there are asking to meet the manager, who is not available till this time.
Finally met the manager, but he is replying the same.
Finally decided to file a case in consumer affairs against Quest on Hobson.

As, I dont want these kind of cheat to happen in Auckland, and Auckland should be free from crime.

Shortly, will be communicating the judgement...

--- Never ever suggest anyone to choose quest on hobson ---

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank sun s
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
You made 4 x international phone calls to India at peak time from your hotel phone, which ranged from 2-4 minutes each, making international calls to India in peak time can cost $3per min from a commercial phone.
I have met you 3-4 times and tried to explain you this. We have provided you with a copy of your phone bill as well as a copy of PABX from the phone company.
I feel was a bit childish and uncalled for you to write this, specially when you admitted that you did make the call but , but still didnt want to pay your bill.
I feel you need to accept the fact that you made quite few international calls from a hotel phone at peak time, which cost you $20.00 not duplicates and next time if you go to a hotel, ask the cost of making an international call or buy a calling card.
Sincerely
Franchise Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I'm surprised to read the complaints about poor housekeeping here. I stayed on 2 separate occasions a week apart and found the place to be spotless and very quiet. I had a room facing the apartment next door which dimisnishes the light but also the noise. The place is very well equipped - more than I needed - full kitchen, dishwasher, washer and dryer. .
I'm not a big fan of the Auckland CBD but if you are just staying the night to make connections in the morning, this is very convenient - right across the street from Sky City and the Inter-City bus terminal. About a 10 minute walk to Britomart or the Viaduct. There's a good Malaysian restaurant, The Mustard Seed, just a block up the street.
I found the staff helpful and obliging - they held a small travel bag for me between bookings so that I didn't have to drag unecessary apparel around.
Although I was happy and comfortable here, I will say that the lobby/reception area is cramped and unappealing, the wifi charges are absurd and the suites though very functional are stark and charmless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time to submit your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.
Monaco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I arrived for a 3 day stay and decided on these premises as I could not get into any of the other Quest premises in Auckland where I usually stay. I drive a medium SUV and it took all my skills to park in the car park allocated, both wheels were on the white lines, it is tiny. The lobby entrance from the basement was dirty both the floor and finger prints on the lift doors. Upon arrival in the room on the 4th floor it was very hot, and the airconditioner being in the sitting area it took some 3 hours for the bedroom to cool down. This was repeated for the next 2 days as housekeeping turned off everything each day. Housekeeping, well there seems to be a systemic failure of housekeeping, my crockery/cutlery was dirty, and the second day I had to ask for more towels as only one was left after servicing. The bathroom was not cleaned at all during my stay and the stainless sink in the kitchen was yellowed from lack of cleaning. Usually at other Quests my sheets are changed every second day but they were not at all here during my stay. In the literature in the room it said car parking was $15 per day but I was charged $20
On the morning I left the lift floor was sticky underfoot from not being cleaned, these are almost new lodgings and if Management could rectify these cleaning issues this establishment would be a lot more desirable. Also the emergency escape plans on the back of the door list rooms in alphabetical order whereas they are actually number listed on the doors, could be confusing in an emergency. I am aware management read and respond to these experiences and would hope they "Take on Board" my comments accordingly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ian P
Dear Ian,

Thank you for taking out time to submit your feedback, it is only through customers we can know if we are providing good service and all our standards are being followed by our staff.

I have investigated your cleaning matter and discovered that you checked in Sunday and checked out Wednesday, our bed linen change policy is every 3-days, however you departed that day. In saying that there is no excuse for not providing you sufficient towels or your kitchen not being cleaned properly. For this I sincerely apologise and as you said all your comments have been taken on-board. The message has been conveyed to the head cleaner in clear terms, to ensure proper cleaning standards are adhered to.

With regards to car-parking, the car-parks are within legal standards and can easily fit a medium to big saloon.

Again I apologise if all the above has caused you inconvenience and hope that you will take this as a one off incident.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights during a first time visit to Auckland. I found the location great for getting around the city on foot. Staff were incredibly friendly and professional and the room was clean, comfortable, well-appointed and reasonably priced. My only gripe had nothing to do with the hotel, but the smell of stale fried food wafting out from the convenience store next door was truly disgusting and made me dry retch. You can't smell it in the hotel, but it greats you every time you walk in/out the door. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Darren,
Thank you for taking out time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again near future. I apologise ffor the smell from the take away next door, we are in process of getting that rectified, having had several discussions with the owner, there will be proper exhaust in place so it does not affect the hotel guests.
Have a great week ahead.
Featherston, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed when the RHCP were in town. Nice welcome in the airconditioned building on a very warm day. The room was tidy and clean. Always a shame when windows can't be opened. Fully furnished apartment with kitchen, chairs and a double (not king size as promised) bed.
Convenient location, near sky city tower and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time to review out facility. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As far as your comments about the bedding is concerned, we do not have double beds here, only Queens Beds, King beds and Twins.
On investigating the matter we discovered that you were upgraded to a 1bedroom suite from a Studio apartment, unfortunately they all have queen beds. I apologise this caused any inconvenience.
Warm regards
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay it was really nice. Rooms are well cleaned. And the staff is really good. The guy over there name Jaspal and the lady named Jaquie is doing a good customer service. I thankful to them for making my trip rememberable. Love to come back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Karanveer,
Thank you for taking out time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again near future. Have a great week ahead.
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed at many serviced apartments. Usually with my wife and daughter we get a 2 bedroom apartment. Quest on Hobson had no 2 bedroom apartments left and so we got a 1 bedroom with an extra bed in the lounge for our daughter. Normally extra beds are rollaway things not much better than a camp stretcher. Here the extra bed was a proper divan single bed. Saved money and everyone so comfortable! Bathrooms awesome as you expect with modern quests. Ovation fantastic. Close enough even to sneak out at night for a quick walk to sky city casino. Service for our late check in was first class even checking 10 min after we had settled in that we were fully satisfied. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Don't forget to reserve a car park otherwise you have to use the public parking building across...