“Very noisy! Don't expect to get a good night sleep.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auckland
The Red Monkey Travellers' Lodge
Ranked #46 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
“Very noisy! Don't expect to get a good night sleep.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

To be honest I think there are better locations and better priced rooms available in Parnell or Newmarket which have more happening than Ponsonby. It's a very expensive area even just to get a bite to eat or a drink. Better value in CBD. Wooden house where you can hear every door slam and everyone walk up and down the stair so we didn't sleep well at all here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jenay222

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at the Red Monkey Lodge for 6 weeks. I took a double room for single occupancy at a cost of 280NZD per week. There was a slight mix up on my arrival but Teresa (who looks after the house) came straight away when I called and prepared my room for me. The room itself was great for my needs. There was a double bed, a bedside set of 2 drawers, a chest of drawers, a small desk with chair and a wardrobe space. The bedding provided included a large blanket and there was also an electric heater (so I never got cold). There weren't many hangers so I was glad I had my own but that is a minor point.

The house itself had 2 bathrooms, both were clean and good in size with a toilet, sink and shower. The toilet had a bucket next to it collecting drips in the bathroom I used but it was never allowed to overflow and didn't cause me a problem. The house also had a small tv room (with 2 x 3 seat sofas), a kitchen dining area (with numbered cupboards, fridge shelf and freezer shelf as well as a shared food area), a BBQ and a number of outdoor seating areas.

I paid my room rate each week by card or cash. It is easier to pay cash as you can just post it into a safe but I preferred to pay on card so would arrange a time to pay this when Teresa was around.

Fresh towels were provided in a storage cupboard. Bed lined was not replaced and I therefore washed this during my stay. Washing machine was 3NZD per wash and the drier was the same.

I met people here and enjoyed my experience. Red Monkey is in a great area of Auckland with good transport links, bars and eateries.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house get road traffic but this didn't bother me
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We spend 4 months in here. And we felt like home, no only because of the place, which was tady, clean, well situated, quiet, and confy, but because of the people living there and specially the owners and managers, excelent people who made us feel like home.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
And... if you have the chance to stay at THE RED MONKEY MANOR, it is definitely worth it. In my humble opinion... It is the best acomodation in Ponsonby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JOSEGONZALEZMARTINEZ
Paris, France
Reviewed April 30, 2013

After travelling around for a year, we stayed in this really nice house for 4 months while we were working. Teresa is really helpfull and welcoming.
Regular rooms are a bit small.
We stayed in room 1 for a month when we first arrived. Bigger bed and a lounge side (tv, table...).
We really felt like we were home.
The house is cleaned daily.
30 min away by foot from the city,10 min by bus (in front of the house)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for a budget place in central Auckland for a few weeks. We came across the Red Monkey who were offering a room-only with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. We were met by the hosts, who are wonderful people, very friendly and welcoming. The room was small but comfortable, good cooking facilities and a great ambience around the outside area with all the guests. It is kept very clean and tidy and free wifi. Poison by is 5 minutes walk away. All in all, a great place for your money.

Room Tip: Our room was just inside front door so a bit noisy. Go for an upstairs or back room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We found The Red Monkey Lodge to be clean, comfortable, affordable accommodation in a fabulous location. The hosts, Teresa and Clinton, are hospitable and caring and go out of their way to cater for their guests needs. We really enjoyed our stay and recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wellington
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at The Redmonkey Lodge for two weeks on holiday and it was a great place to stay. It is kept really clean and the rooms are nice. It has a really relaxed atmosphere where everyone gets on well. Meal times are a great social occasion.
Ponsonby is a great location with heaps of cafes and bars. It is only a few minutes walk to Ponsonby road, where the public transport is very convenient. Teresa is very helpful. I totally recommend to other travellers who are budget concious as they have really good weekly rates.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SJared
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland
Quest Ponsonby
#5 of 60 in Auckland
Uenuku lodge
Uenuku lodge
#34 of 281 in Auckland Region

Been to The Red Monkey Travellers' Lodge? Share your experiences!