“A mouth-burning experience!”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My partner and I had dinner at Moochowchow this evening, and I give the food high marks for freshness of ingredients, well prepared. When we were first seated, our waitress took the time to ask us if we had ever dined there before, and when we told her we hadn't, she explained that the dishes we ordered would arrive as they were completed by the chef, and that everything was meant to share, which was very nice. She did not explain, however, that almost all the dishes we ordered were extremely spicy. When she asked us how we enjoyed our food, we explained that we had left an entire plate of tofu curry virtually uneaten because it was just too hot for us. This is a very trendy place, very popular at the moment, but it would be better if they remembered that every customer counts. If they would have offered to prepare a new dish, or any other resolution to our uneaten, too-spicy dish, it would have shown more grace.

1  Thank JulesLandsman

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was a member of a group that attended dinner here. The Taxi driver advised that it was the place to go etc and a good choice for dinner.
We arrived and were promptly seated, as we were a group we were able to try basically everything on the menu. The food was absolutely sensational, something for everyone, but be prepared, don't be fussy and ask for anything specific as you get each dish 'as it comes'.
The cocktails were great also, we enjoyed a few of those prior to moving on to wine.
The venue is excellent, a grand old house in a previous life by the looks of it. We really enjoyed our evening for dinner, although it did appear to me as though we were being slightly rushed to get in and out and I also sort of felt as though it was a privlege to be there.
Absolutely would recommend this venue for those wanting to enjoy some great food.

1  Thank Adam6750
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Excellent array of Thai influenced foods: pork belly especially nice. Great cross section of foods to try and sensibly it's not that extensive that the chefs are struggling to provide too many options in a reasonable time frame.

It's noisey there. I've probably eaten in far too many places now and the acoustics aren't good. It was as bad as Prego further along Ponsonby road is. Go early if you prefer a quieter time.
And stay away from a table full of Botoxed women. They can't use facial gestures to communicate so they YELLED! It was that bad we almost moved.
Reading and writing these reviews reminds me I need to be a considerate guest as well.
Go, enjoy the food...and take a few people so you can request the private room maybe!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I'm so not a fan of fusion Asian food - it's Asian food or nothing at all! However, I was slightly misled by friends as this was not really fusion at all! The menu is small by the dishes are delicious and satisfying; cocktails are divine. The environment was sexy and social. It's not cheap so I would recommend it more for special occasions or socials given that Asian food is not expensive in Auckland (but then their environments are not appetising either!).

1  Thank Eleanor2510
Reviewed April 23, 2012

the food is sensational..full of flavour and beautifully presented. there is such a respect and understanding of their craft here. standout dish for me was the poached salmon..it excels on all levels..and is pretty damn close to perfection in my opinion.