“Friendly Staff and good food”
Review of Jack Tar

Jack Tar
Ranked #71 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We visited Jack Tar with my family for luch in Sat afternoon. The restaurant was pretty full, we can't find a table. A friendly staff offered us a high table in outdoor seating and bring some water very quickly. We ordered one fish and chips, Hawaiian pizza for my kids and burger for me and my husband. We waited quite sometimes until the food came, the long waiting might be because of large number of customers. We enjoyed our food, particularly the Hawaian Pizza. My son loved it so much. Food was ok and reasonable price. We enjoy our lunch and looking forward to having luch there sometimes in the future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Visited Jack Tar with a group of 10 other oldies on a day escape from the retirement village resort. Exactly why we chose Jack's is a mystery as it is in what appears to have been an old cargo shed now divided into a multiplicity of restaurant/bars all appearing to be the same as Jack's.
The lunch menu was very acceptable with my choice being "Steak sandwich" with the inevitable, and seemingly must-have, fries. The fries turned out to be the best part of the meal, they being thick - hopefully meaning less fat - with several remaining unconsumed even after passing the bowl around the table. Ronald McDonald would have been horrified at the size of said fries though I believed them to be very good and exactly the opposite to those skinny fat-filled fries at Ronald's place.
The sandwich was humungous comprising mostly thickly cut (that's THICK) bread allowing discovery of a thin steak and salad within. Thankfully, the already applied salad cream moistened the otherwise dry bread to make it more easily edible. While the meal was large it was not appetising and one side of the bread was too much to jaw through after exhaustion arrived.
My table server was on-the-ball, attentive and helpful. My half-glass of red at $9 was about normal for this type of bar.
The otherwise great view across the harbour failed to exist due to a large ferry berthed immediately within my view. All I was able to see was part of the starboard side the very close ferry hull.

2  Thank Probian9910
Reviewed June 7, 2014

So, I love the up and coming Wynyard Quarter area where Jack Tar presides, if only it were more popular on the whole. So many lovely bars and restaurants but the small population of NZ (possibly) makes them rather empty a lot of the time, especially at this time of year.
Arrived on a Saturday evening about 10pm after a rugby match, shame it was still rather quiet. Given a late evening menu but a shame to see most options only as pizza, especially when the main menu said food options available until 11.30pm.
I can understand a restaurant going to reduced menu later on, especially if it's not busy but what I would love to see is a restaurant sticking it's neck out, creating an event?/specials? etc and so a busy and popular place to be and therefore still able to offer all their wonderful food, not just pizzas (80% of the menu) and some chicken wings (sauce was lovely on the wings!) and a few other items.
I'd like to get good food later on and I am willing to pay for it. Half of our group couldn't eat pizzas or carb for healthy (and medical) reasons and it would be great to know that somewhere in the Wynyard Quarter was offering a good selection of food on a menu that isn't mainly pizza. Also a bit sad that we couldn't get coffee after 11pm either.
Not the best experience I've had but also aware that it was late, I will love to come back and see what they do during the rest of the day, but unfortunately in my mind, my first experience here has been a little tarnished so I really hope that they would normally pull out all the stops.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

great bar just on the waterfront down from the harbour. Great views. The food was spectacular and the service you couldnt fault. We went there on a sat night and didnt book , we had a waiting time of about 10 mins , by the time we had got a drink our table was ready. Really lively bar with lots of chatting and atmosphere. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We were a group of 11. Service & food all fantastic. I had salt & pepper squid salad & that was the best I have ever tasted. The chips were enormous & a few of our family could not eat all their food. My sister goes here quite a bit so was really pleased that she chose it.