“Fabulous for foodies - and for learning great secrets about NZ food and wines”

The Big Foody Food Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.58*
and up
Auckland Afternoon Food Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Auckland's number one food tour experience. A fun and flavour filled insight into the excellent cuisine, markets, restaurants and producers Auckland has to offer. The Big Foody Food Tours have an excellent choice of tours to give you the ultimate taste of the city and a delicious introduction to Auckland and the regions. Book through our website and receive a bottle of local wine or box of chocolates! Make sure you book a Big Foody Tour at the beginning of your stay in NZ so you are geared up with the best places to eat and drink around the country! All our tours are small and intimate groups tailored to make sure you walk away having had a memorable time. We pick up from all hotels in the CBD for our driven tours All tour guests a New Zealand SIM Card. Book through our website and receive a bottle of local wine or box of chocolates!
Reviewed December 20, 2013

On a gorgeous Saturday before Christmas, I lucked out and had Elle as my private guide to a wonderful range of Auckland's culinary wonders: amazing farmers' market near the museum! with loads of great local specialities! tour of several neighborhoods sampling ships and cafés, breathtaking views from Mt Eden to cleanse the palate, a wonderfully innovative wine tasting with virtual/video tour accompaniment and education in "olfactory vocabulary", and then Fabulous Fish for lunch. Whether you're a first time visitor or a new resident, whether you're an obsessed foodie or just enjoy learning about a new place, this is a GREAT way to spend five hours in Auckland.

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I had a lovely day with you. I hope you had a fab time on Waiheke and at Hobbiton!!!! Keep in touch, big hugs Elle

All reviews
"great tour"
in 11 reviews
"tour ended"

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I arrived fresh off a plane from Montreal to meet with Elle who picked me up at my hotel. To my surprise and delight, her 2 other guests had cancelled so I had the pleasure of having my own private guide :)

The great reviews regarding this tour spot on and Elle is everything you'd want a guide to be: enthusiastic, informed and incredibly friendly. It is widely apparent she loves Auckland and is not shy to show off its' vibrant food scene.

We visited a farmers' market (where they had the most divine free-range bacon!) and chatted with the lovely food producers. Elle later brought me to a great European foods specialty store, took me sightseeing atop of Mount Eden and finished the tour with an informative wine tasting lesson and delectable seafood lunch at the Auckland Fishmarket. As she dropped me off back at my hotel, she even offered to give me restaurant suggestions in different places around the country as I was to join a group tour the following day. Overall, I had a fantastic time and I definitely recommend this tour to any food lover :)

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Oh what a lovely review!!! thank you and thank you for being such a lovely guest. I'm glad you had a great time and I hope you have a brilliant rest of your stay in New Zealand. Big Hugs

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I joined the tour right off the plane and it was such an awesome way to start off an unforgettable Auckland trip. This tour is not only about eating around Auckland, Elle is very knowledgable about food and how the food industry works in Auckland. We ate some real good local food, tried some exciting sauces and spices, went to Mt Eden, learnt about wine and seafood and ended with an amazing seafood lunch. Thanks Elle! You are wonderful!

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

You two were fantastic! I hope you had the best time in New Zealand and take back some great memories!!! :)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had the most brilliant day with Elle. I totally second what KarKar_S said below. I went on my own as my husband had work commitments and I was not sure what to expect. I enjoyed the best jam donut ever with my hot chocolate. The Italian food supply store, Sabato, is fabulous. I would never have found it if not for Elle and I could have shopped all day. I stocked up during the tour and then took my husband back for more the next week before we left NZ. The wine tasting was fun and interesting. The lunch at the fish market was delicious. NZ salmon is wonderful. Elle is an absolute sweetheart who goes out of her way for you. She even offered to drop off things I had bought to the hotel I would be staying at the next week so I wouldn't have to lug them around with me. She also emailed me addresses of where I could find supplies while we were visiting the South Island and gave me great info on restaurants to visit. I highly recommend this tour whether you are visiting NZ (like me) or a resident looking to broaden your foodie horizons. Elle has a great sense of humour too. I couldn't think of a better person to spend a day grazing with.

Thanks Elle, you rock! :-)

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for the best day!!! I'm so glad you had a great time int he South Island and got some of the Wasabi!! We'll be knocking on the door with a bottle of red to go with those steak knives if we're ever your neck of the woods. Thank you for a lovely review and it was so great to meet you! Big Hugs

See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a great way to start your day (or spend your birthday morning/afternoon)! I booked this practically at the last minute, actually the night before, and the next morning Elle was at my door bright and early, ready to start the tour. She began by taking me to an ice cream shop that makes their ice creams from scratch. What a fabulous start: delicious ice creams and a hot chocolate! Had she not taken me there I would have never know it was an ice cream shop, easy to over look on your own. We visited an excellent Italian food shop and a great cook book store that offers a variety of cooking classes as well. Great places to do some shopping! She also made a quick stop at Mt. Eden were I was able to get fantastic pictures on a beautiful sunny day! We ended at the Auckland Fish Market with a wine tasting experience and delicious seafood lunch. It is a true all around food tour! Elle offers a variety of places to experience in Auckland and her knowledge of the city and all things food is presented in a fun, enjoyable manner. She is also flexible to suggestions or places that you may be interested in visiting. The trip lasted from 9 am to around 3 pm. It's a great way to see Auckland and get a good mix of locations like some of the smaller shops and the the larger tourist-centered areas. If you like to eat and want to get a different view of Auckland this tour is a must! Even if you are going solo this a great tour to take! Thanks Elle for an amazing, delicious start to my birthday!

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for choosing us for your birthday treat. You were an absolute joy to spend the day with and I hope you have a fabulous time in NZ