“Wonderful place ! Food amazing.”

Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Napier, New Zealand
“Wonderful place ! Food amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

WOW, we just had an amazing time here.

I was just out of hospital from a spinal operation, not quite ready to fly home to Napier.

We spent two nights ordering room service, purchased the hotel movie deal for unlimited movies for $ 30.00 and really relaxed. We were able to borrow the hotel wheel chair whenever we got cabin fever, to go for a walk.

The food was incredible. The chefs here are amazing. You must try the Lamb !

Thank you Sofitel for allowing us such an early check in so we could come straight from the hospital. I left here feeling much more confident for the trip home and very well rested !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was responsible for booking a five star hotel in Auckland for our staff Christmas party. There are a lot of nice hotels in Auckland however I decided on the Sofitel due to its good reputation around the world. What a mistake that was.

I had arranged a private airport pick up for my group. My boss checked in the hotel a day earlier than the rest of us. He had hired a car and drove to the hotel however upon check-in the staff told him that he had used the pick up service (which wasn’t cheap, NZD175.00 each way!) and the transfer would not be available the next day for the rest of the group. After some investigating the staff did finally believe my boss however they were not polite at all.

When my group arrived at the hotel the next day the check-in staff were not friendly at all. I felt as though I was inconveniencing them by checking in. When I got to my room I realised that they had put me into a disabled room and didn’t even advise me of this. The rest of my group were in fantastic rooms with lovely bathrooms and I was placed into a disabled room. It would have been nice if the check-in staff had given me the heads up, but no. After I had a shower there was literally water all over the bathroom floor. The shower had mould in the grout too. Another member of my group tried to open her room and the key wouldn’t work. She had to go back and forward between reception to try and get into her room. After 30 minutes someone finally helped her however the staff member told her that she would need to go back to reception later in the night to get a new key. Ridiculous!! Just help your paying guests Sofitel.

About one month prior to our check-in date I had arranged 2 x rooms with a late check out. The reservations supervisor was kind enough to offer the late check outs at no additional cost (in writing). On the day of check-out I went to concierge to double check that the late check-out was still confirmed and I was told it was going to be an additional NZD175.00. I was furious! Since checking into the hotel I had not had an ounce of good service. After waiting around for 10 mins and concierge checking with reservations they did acknowledge that late check outs were confirmed at no additional cost. I went out for the morning and came back to my room – low and behold my key didn’t work and they had locked me out. Thank you very much Sofitel.

I book a lot of clients into Auckland and I will never be booking them into Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour. Ever.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kerby1984
Megan Z, Manager at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Bonjour Kerby84,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour. I would like to sincerely apologise for not having met your expectations while you were staying with us in Auckland.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of personalised service to all guests; therefore your feedback is extremely valued & important to us. For those reasons, we would like to investigate the related matters further & will respond to you very shortly. Could you kindly send me your contact details to megan.zacharkiw@sofitel.com as I would like to contact you personally in that respect.

Thank you once again for your feedback & we hope that we receive another opportunity to provide you a magnifique Sofitel experience.

Kindest regards,

Megan Zacharkiw
Executive Assistant Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Great rooms, great service, Great location.
The service is what makes this hotel outstanding when comparing to luxurious hotels. rooms are clean with turn down service at night. Bottled water is offered daily in the room with a variety of teas available in the room. staff are friendly and offer assistance without it being asked for.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business