“Great hotel”

Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Nice hotel, well appointed rooms and active and attentive staff who really tries there best to make you feel happy.
Bar, lively in afternoons and the restaurant for dinner was pretty full and both food and service good.
Breakfast good quality and wide choice of items, only clearing tables is a point of attention.

If there is one think I need to mention as not so nice its my room location. (all rooms XX5) I opted for the more expensive room with Marina view only to find out my view was blocked for about 75% due to an apartment building. So if you ask me if the extra for this room was worthwhile, no. It would be fair from the hotel to call this partial Marina view, i feels a little as knocking some money out of my pocket for not much....

I will mention this when I check out coming sunday because its ok to ask more for whatever you like as long as you are honest.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roger S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,007)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed twice, for 3 nights at the beginning of our trip to New Zealand, and 3 nights at the end. The hotel is a glamorous and immaculate ultra-modern glass box building with walls of glass and modern pools and fountains overlooking the viaduct portion of the harbour in a swanky new business park/community about 10-15 minutes walk to Queen Street.. Fresh flowers and fine art decorate the public areas, highlighted by a magnificent Maori wood carving at the end of the hallway in the reception area.

We arrived at midnight, and most of the lights had been turned lower in an already-dark lobby area, and only one front desk staff person was available at that time: we ended up lugging our own luggage from the taxi to the front desk since the porter was engaged elsewhere...surprising not to have assured staff at the entrance in a 5-star hotel. Since I was traveling with a family member, I had requested two beds, but there was only a king bed in the room so I ended up on a roll away: the hotel promptly credited me on my bill for the problem, and I appreciated it. The beds were separated into two adjacents twins for the remainder of the stay. The hotel also had an incorrect king room reserved for my return stay, but said this was probably more of a problem with the information passed to them from the internet booking site (Orbit) that I had used; however there was a room available with two beds.

For security reasons, room keys are required for the elevator which will only stop on your floor. Elevator and room door are highly senstive, and we ended up having to swipe the key multiple times for it to work; a bit annoying.

We selected a luxury room overlooking the viaduct; a canal lined with private yachts and modern condos, and then a fountain view room on the return trip. From the water view room, you can also see the Sky City tower from the room's walls of glass. The seating area included a comfy sofa and bar with gratis coffee expresso maker and Illy Italian coffee and teas; a nice touch. The desk was a bit too small, but usable. There are not a lot of TV channels, but there was CNN and the BBC. Like all of New Zealand, there was limited closet space to hang clothes and coats. Bathroom was spacious with both bath and shower with high-end fixtures. There are no electrical outlets near the bed that we could find, so since I sleep with a CPAP respirator, I had to run a very long extension cord (which I bring with me) from the desk on the other side of the room.

Since we got up too late the first morning, we ate at the take out cafe which had some limited seating. It was nice. The other mornings we had the buffet breakfast in the Lava restaurant. The buffet was high quality but was actually a mix of buffet food and the need for ordering certain items to be cooked fresh such as eggs, pancakes or porridge; in actuality since I like a large breakfast when I am touring, this limited the amount I could eat since I was too embarrassed to ask for seconds. American-style coffee was made fresh from a delicious french press. Service was prompt and professional.

Chris, the concierge is a knowledgeable professional that took are of us during our stay. We liked all of his recommendations. Otherwise, we felt the staff was very young, energetic and eager to please, but a bit amateurish and lacking on how to seamlessly respond that comes with a staff that has years of experience and that I normally expect in a 5-star hotel.

The Sofitel is in a swanky new business park waterfront area, but a short walk to actual tourist areas. For those wanting to be in the middle of Queen Street city center shopping and shows, Sky City Grand may be a better location as the Sofitel is a 10-15 minute walk up a hill to that area. The Hilton is also a better location if you want to be near the prime waterfront and upscale Brito Mart shopping area, although it was looking a little worn when we walked by it (we did not go in however).

Room Tip: If you don't select a water view room, note that many of the rooms overlooking the inner pool an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ScottN
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Excellent location, very clean, private, safe hotel. Never ate there, but the bar was always hopping at night.

The service was hit or miss. Sometimes things would be taken care of in a flash, other times we would be ignored. When on vacation the last thing you want to do is worry about where your bags are or when the turn down service will be. The "concierge" was whichever bellhop was around the desk and the knowledge of Auckland they had was from absolutely none to a bit more than a travel book. The physical hotel is a 4-5 star premise, but the service lacks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mj23439
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at Aucklands Sofitel for our 4 year anniversary and were very impressed with the service and quality of the hotel. The only problem was we ordered the romance package which offers a daily in room breakfast however when it came to check out we were advised it was only for dining in the restaurante, however it was refunded with no fuss. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Our rooms were beautifully positioned with views of the AKL Harbour Bridge & Waitemata Harbour. Staff we helpful and accommodating. Nice touch with the French being spoken. Service was impeccable, bags were held until check in and for a few hours after check out time.
Breakfast was more than ample, only criticism was that one meal was delivered cold.
Would definitely return and use as our Auckland base.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is the best hotel I've ever stayed in! Everything about it is 5 star! The staff are friendly and extremely helpful, the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, the rooms are sparkling clean, the beds are the most comfortable ever and the facilities are amazing. If you want to feel like royalty, this is the place to stay!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Wonderful service throughout the hotel and large generously appointed rooms. Only a short walk to the fish market area that links via foot bridge to the other side of Viaduct Harbour where there are heaps of restaurants, night clubs and water based activities, Fantastic location.