“Best Wine Tour in New Zealand”

NZWINEPRO - Auckland Wine Tours
Wineries Honey and Black Sand Beaches from Auckland
Ranked #1 of 33 Food & Drink in Auckland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: NZWINEPRO™ are wine industry professionals offering personal wine making tours and scenic adventures for discerning enthusiasts. Owner & guide John McFarlane is a fifth generation New Zealander and has worked in hospitality and tourism for over 27 years. With 15 years experience working directly in the industry, you'll be guided beyond the cellar door with morning and afternoon options, stunning wines to taste, magnificent coastal scenery/regional parks, honey producers, cheese factory tastings, olive oils and delicious New Zealand cuisine. See how wine is made with private guided behind the scenes winemaking facility tours at Villa Maria Estate or Kumeu River Wines. Door to door service to Auckland's very best wineries and vineyards. Destinations include Kumeu, Huapai, Waimauku, Muriwai, Piha, Matakana, & Waiheke Island.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Auckland, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best Wine Tour in New Zealand”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We have just finished the Matakana Coastal Getaway with NZWINEPRO. This is the best wine tour we have ever been on! (and we have been on many) John is excellent and a great guide/driver/organiser/speaker and a font of knowledge about the wine industry. What a fabulous day we had. Along with four others, our first stop was the Puhoi Cheese Shop. Lots of tastings of yummy cheeses before visiting McKinney Kauri Park and Chocolate Brown for amazing chocolates. John was fantastic and he managed to get us to four wineries. Ascension, Plume, Hyperion and the Omaha Bay Vineyard. Our favourite was Plume and the lovely owner Farida treated us to tastings of their beautiful wines, a fantastic lunch accompanied by a glass of Pinot Gris. To top everything off we stopped for an ice cream at the Matakana Village and then for honey tastings and purchases at the NZ Honey Shop. What a fantastic tour! Comfortable air conditioned van, great tour guide, great food, great wine and cool people from overseas! Quality, value and just fantastic! Thanks John.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank 97Petra
John M, Owner at NZWINEPRO - Auckland Wine Tours, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hi 97 Petra,
I'm sure I know who you are. It was a pleasure to take you to Matakana. It was a great day and you were both so outgoing and cheerful. We were lucky with the weather, and the company was great too with out friends from Canada. Thanks for the gratuity, so kind. And thanks for such a lovely review. I'm so happy you enjoyed your tour and I hope you'll like my NZWINEPRO Facebook page to stay in touch . Best regards

John McFarlane

Cairns, Australia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“IT'S WINE O'CLOCK”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

With a few wine tours out of Auckland seeming to rate very well here on TripAdvisor... How can you choose? I am going to be very simple with this review.... CHOOSE THIS TOUR! John is a great guide, full to the brim with knowledge but also your friend for the day. With NZWINEPRO you get to visit tucked away out of sight wineries and foody places you would miss getting out there on your own. There is also allot of scenery along the way that you also would miss sticking to the motorway. I for one would book one of Johns tours again in a heartbeat! Please take it from me, a tour guide myself... Just do it! Enjoy NZ with a local :)

Visited April 2014
John M, Owner at NZWINEPRO - Auckland Wine Tours, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Tara that's a Stellar review, thank you so much.. I had the best day with you and our other guests. You compliments given the guiding work you do make me feel so good. Matakana on a nice day is so pretty in Autumn. I love what I do, but only someone who does it truly understands it. I'm so pleased that we were able to get it to work out and the day we had was fun. It was a lovely sunny day and the trip to Ta Wharanui only made me think of camping and wine..If you're ever back over the ditch be sure to let me know. We could go to a different region or discover something new. Thanks again Tara - It was a pleasure to meet you.
St. John's, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We did the Waiheke Island tour and I highly recommend it. We had a little extra time starting out as there was just the two of us, so John took us up to Mt. Eden to get a fabulous view of Auckland and he identified some of the points of interest. We then took the ferry over and spent the day touring and tasting some great wines in addition to some olive oil. Lunch at Mudbrick was excellent. John was an excellent host and is very knowlegable. It was great having a local New Zealander share his broad knowledge of the wineries and local area.

Hi Greg,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your tour to Waiheke Island. We got a beautiful day that day and it all worked out so well. I'm glad you enjoyed the inclusions and the trip to Mt Eden. Some days you can and some you can't do things like that. It's just good luck! Soon the Waiheke tours I operate will only be available in the weekends as we go into winter so i'm glad you got to go there. Thanks so much for writing your excellent review. I hope you'll like my NZWINEPRO Facebook page to stay in touch. Thanks again - John McFarlane
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wine Not... we recommend you should”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were gifted a wine tour for a special event so duly turned up with few expectations. John is highly professional, certainly knows his stuff and knows how to ensure his guests enjoy themselves.Suffice to say it was truly excellent. Totally better experience than turning up yourself to the wineyards as the service was smooth and special.

Visited April 2014
nzwinebug, Owner at NZWINEPRO - Auckland Wine Tours, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hi Trevor, Thankyou for your excellent review and for posting some pictures. I really appreciate it. I had a great day with you both, the pleasure was mine. I love the fact that in Auckland people get out amongst their own environment and actively take part in all the diverse number of things that are going on around them. I'm glad you enjoyed your present, it's a great and kind gift. We have great wine and food and the friendly bond all kiwis share with each other makes it all the more a small adventure. I hope you and your friends will l like my NZWINEPRO Facebook page to stay in touch with news, photos and great deals. Thanks again - John McFarlane
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A wonderfully indulgent five hours! ”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

On a cloudy, wet holiday in auckland I booked one day in advance & selected the wine tour & black sand beach visit. John was an excellent host & introduced me to several great wineries, an off-the-charts delicious restsurant, Provenance, and a beautiful visit to the beach. He's knowledgable, professional and entertaining! Highly recommend it!

John M, Owner at NZWINEPRO - Auckland Wine Tours, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Hi Camille,

Thanky ou for your lovely great review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your day out. The weather was a challenge but it only made for a dramatic West Coast scene. I hope the wine you bought made it back to Luxembourg and that you'll be able to enjoy a few glasses with friends there. I hope you'll like my NZWINEPRO Facebook page to stay in contact. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope you'll make contact when you return in February. All the best - John