“Fantastic mezze style food with a hint of fine dining”
Review of Ima Cuisine

Ima Cuisine
Ranked #89 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Middle Eastern inspired breakfast, lunch and a family-style sharing dinner. Cooking has always been the focus of my life, I've been a cook since my early teens. However when I left Israel to study in the UK, it really dawned on me just how important good food is - how great food can lift your spirit and make you happy, and bad food can bring you down. I came to NZ from Israel in late 1997 with two little girls and pregnant with the third. The food I love was very hard to find and I missed it terribly, and so I opened the Lunch Box. Ima is my second venture in Auckland. Ima (pronounced EE-Mah) means mother in Hebrew. My food is simple, honest, healthy and nurturing, like mum's food (providing she is a great cook). At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual. At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual, we hope our guests feel immediately comfortable and at home. We invite you to enjoy our food - made with love and the finest ingredients - we know it will make you happy! - Yael Shochat, Owner
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is probably as close to fine dining as I've ever got with mezze style middle eastern food. As with all middle eastern food it's big on sharing and the more people you have with you the better.

We had the mezze to start with had a great selection of vege bites dishes. The only thing I would say is that it would have been nice to have some meat and the pitta bread was very bog standard. I'm used to having char-grilled flat bread with hints of salt and herbs even when in cheaper mezze restaurants.

For the mains we had the lamb, chicken and snapper. You get free side dishes with all mains so you end up with a huge variety of food. The meat and fish dishes were all amazing. The carrot and feta side side dish and the rice were also fantastic. I felt that the other side dishes of tomatoes, vinaigrette salad, and spinach were all ok but nothing really special. However, it was a really nice refreshing change to get some many vegetables as oppose to the meat feast that you normally get in a middle eastern restaurant.

It is more expensive than a normal mezze restaurant but not by much. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

If you're looking for something a little different when it comes to breakfast and appreciate good service, this place is for you. Great food, original ideas and fabulous service. Located in downtown Auckland, a few minutes walk from most hotels in the area.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We are regulars at this restaurant and enjoy the service and atmosphere.
Some of the dishes are VERY pricy for what you get so understand that before you go.
A lamb dish to be shared by 4 is 4 slices of lamb @ $ high 20's. Seems like a lot for that little meat.
But .... be clear the tastes and blends of tastes are lovely

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Visited on Friday 31st to celebrate my birthday (which had been spent on a campsite a couple of nights previously). Absolutely blown away - kicked off with a half bottle of Roederer - a champagne you hardly ever see on lists, let alone in halves, and were impressed by the rest of the wine list.
We were well advised by our two waitresses (one was training) and they were utterly charming throughout. To start we had brik (tuna in pastry with preserved lemon and egg) and lamb kibeh, for mains the stuffed chicken and halloumi. We treated ourselves to dessert - a mixed platter of sweet treats and a sweet cheese dish, the name of which escapes me, but it was truly delicious. (If you're reading this, Ima's, please put me out of my misery!)
We found the portions spot on, and left full, but still able to walk :0), the meal had us talking until late about how flavours had been achieved and how very, very special the food was. Getting back to the UK today, one of the first things we've told family about our NZ trip was Ima's. Highly recommended - it's already on our agenda for the next trip...whenever that may be.

2  Thank laloue
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Really excellent food but small portions and rather pricey. Staff were friendly and in good weather you can sit outside. Recommended, but don't be too hungry when you go.