“FANTASTIC”

DeBretts Kitchen
Ranked #63 of 2,358 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The iconic Hotel DeBrett is nestled in the heart of Auckland city, at the crossroads of Shortland Street’s business and High Street’s fashion precincts, just two short blocks from the waterfront.Our 25 rooms and suites are individually decorated in a mid-century modern style, show-casing contemporary New Zealand arts and crafts, overlaid with 21st century comforts. At the core of the hotel we have created a glass roofed atrium and courtyard, which provide ambient meeting spots for guests and visitors, with a casual gourmet restaurant “kitchen” at one end, and the legendary art deco “House Bar” at the other. Tucked off to the side, exclusively for house guests, is a drawing room stocked with a selection of our own art, books, music and movies. Experience a mix of calm and bustle in central Auckland, and share our special home away from home, with personal yet professional service. We look forward to welcoming you to Hotel DeBrett.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at The DeBrett for two nights and had read the reviews on the restaurant so we decided to have dinner here. We were NOT disappointed! We opted for the special chef's three course dinner. From start to finish it was wonderful! The service was attentive and the server was lovely and knowledgeable. My dessert was my favorite part!!! It was a baked apple (but oh so much more!!) with ice cream. We highly recommend dining here!

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel restaurants often don't inspire nor stand on their own as a restaurant. Kitchen does. The food is worth searching out. The service is friendly but casual. The atmosphere lacks a little due to table placements around group tables.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been a regular here for years and there have been hit and miss but recently it's just more miss than hit. I like the restaurant it have always been my fav. But recently the service just went down hill. Even the foods, which used to be perfect now just dissapointing. I don't mind paying, took my family of three there and the bill came up to 300$ but paying 54$ for 12 oysters is just not right. I would still come back but not in a near future.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Being in my mid 20s, I don’t usually experience being looked down upon for being “too young” any more. However, this was not the case when we dined during the weekend. The girl who greeted (and I use that term very loosely) was absolutely rude (“What do you want?” when we walked in and no thank you when we left). They had a dining room full of empty chairs and yet she looked around like there was absolutely nowhere that she could place us. I should also note that these chairs did not fill up whilst we were there, so this was not due to reservations.

Despite that, the food was delicious and cooked to perfection. Lucky the food was good, because the staff did nothing for the experience.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Very limited mains menu. Mains at $38 were not sufficient without ordering "sides" at $9 extra. Quality of food was very average. Can't believe this place was a finalist in a restaurant top rating last year. The live music made conversation impossible in such an intimate space.