“Private Dining”

DeBretts Kitchen
Ranked #81 of 2,272 Restaurants in Auckland
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The iconic Hotel DeBrett is nestled in the heart of Auckland city, at the crossroads of Shortland Street’s business and High Street’s fashion precincts, just two short blocks from the waterfront.Our 25 rooms and suites are individually decorated in a mid-century modern style, show-casing contemporary New Zealand arts and crafts, overlaid with 21st century comforts. At the core of the hotel we have created a glass roofed atrium and courtyard, which provide ambient meeting spots for guests and visitors, with a casual gourmet restaurant “kitchen” at one end, and the legendary art deco “House Bar” at the other. Tucked off to the side, exclusively for house guests, is a drawing room stocked with a selection of our own art, books, music and movies. Experience a mix of calm and bustle in central Auckland, and share our special home away from home, with personal yet professional service. We look forward to welcoming you to Hotel DeBrett.
Auckland, New Zealand
“Private Dining”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We booked a private dinner for 25 friends here (an annual event). The location is lovely, the food great (given they were catering for a large group out of a small kitchen there were some small timing issues but the quality was excellent) but above anything else the service was fantastic. Unknown to us we had actually miscalculated numbers and had an extra person there - they did not skip a beat and we were not even aware of our mistake until the following week

Auckland
“Surprisingly good - very noisy”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I recently attended a work lunch at The Kitchen and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The lunch menu is small but most dishes are good. The pork is disappointing - don't bother. The tuna is excellent and the poached chicken is also nice.

The room is light and pretty but it is very noisy - the ceiling is high and the floors are wooden. I would not recommend this venue for anyone who struggles to hear or for important conversations!

Good wine list.

Staff are ok but not particularly attentive.

Melbourne, Australia
“tasty food, stylish atmosphere”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had dinner here while staying at DeBrett Hotel. The restaurant was pretty busy, and I was seated near the kitchen area, so it was rather loud, but I enjoyed it as I could see the actions in the kitchen. I guess this is not exactly the place for intimate dinner (the tables are pretty close together), but it's a very good one for a relaxed date or meeting with friends.

The dishes strike somewhere between comfort food and fine dining; they are well-executed and presented, without pushing any boundaries. The oysters I had as starters were really beautiful and fresh. I also liked the textural variations in the scallops dish, with pancetta and peas. The lamb with pickled grape reduction was good, but not special, and I thought the leg croquette was too rich to accompany this dish. Finally, I had Vahlrona chocolate pave as the dessert, which was rich as well (as it's supposed to be). The "croissant ice cream" didn't conjure any images of croissant for me, though.

Service was friendly and smooth throughout the dinner. I'd gladly revisit this restaurant if I come to Auckland again.

• Visited November 2012
Sydney
“Great Presentation - noisy room”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We enjoyed our meal here. the food is very well presented but we felt it lacked taste. The service was friendly and efficient. The restaurant has a very high (void) ceiling in part and this makes it very noisy.

Melbourne, Australia
“Enjoyable Dinner”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Kitchen is the "in house" restaurant of Hotel DeBrett and is worth a visit.

Very helpful and attentive staff, good wine list and great food.

Not your typical "in hotel" restaurant

• Visited November 2012