“Good Latin American food”
Review of Besos Latinos

Besos Latinos
Ranked #313 of 2,460 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled at the very back of the quaint Elliott Stables is a treasure trove of authentic Latin American gourmet delights. Besos Latinos – ‘Latin Kisses’, a romantically filled and enchanting promise that is delivered to the lips in every morsel. Softly lit by fairy lights and candles, the old brick interior is added to by a feast of colourfully spicy and original murals by Mexican artist CeciliaMijangos. Her inspiring interior design equals the food for its authenticity and uniqueness. Enormous flower arrangements add drama in the curved recesses and add an air of surrealism when mixed with the eclectic collection of gothic Latin American folk art. This is a restaurant to come to enjoy a host of new flavours and combinations in an old world space. It certainly seems as if Auckland is a distant city as finer details materialise into the larger landscape of the airy space. The lively atmosphere at Besos Latinos is perfect for either a group or a couple on a date!
Reviewed May 19, 2016

Part of the Elliot Stables - several restaurants each with their own dining area or you can eat in the communal area in the middle, Beso Latinos offers Latin American food at affordable prices.
The service was friendly and efficient and the food cooked to order. The place does get busy pre show, so bear this in mind when ordering as something complex can take time - not good if you are trying to have a meal within time limits.
The place has a pleasant buzz about it.

Reviewed May 2, 2016

I had heard about Besos Latino so I was very excited when we finally went there for dinner. However excitement soon turned to disappointment when the food arrived - pedestrian at best. The food was stodgy, heavy and overly salty. The Holy guacamole was little better than pub fare, the arepas were fried instead of grilled, and the service slow and at times inattentive. The saving grace were the cocktails; the piña colada was the standout drink. Will go back for the cocktails alone but will give dinner a miss next time.

Reviewed April 30, 2016

We went for lunch. We tried ceviche (fantastic), guacamole (OK), beef arepas (Stand-out great) and empanadas (good). The Pisco Sour took a while to come, but was awesome. Haven't had such a good one since visiting South America. Staff were all Spanish speaking and a good array of South American countries were represented

Reviewed April 24, 2016

Not sure how authentic the food is, but it tastes great. The prices are reasonable and the portions are generous. The best part is the location - right at the back of Elliot Stables. You could order food and have it delivered to a table in the centre of the "court" but eating in the restaurant itself is very pleasant. Much quieter than out in the open and the decor and lighting create a nice atmosphere. Service is prompt and it is a great place to grab a quick meal before heading out to an event at Aotea Centre, Civic, Q or elsewhere. We have both shared small plates and had mains - wait staff happy to work around any alternative. When you pay the bill it is like "whoa - that's reasonable!" Not "fine dining" - but a good meal and a nice experience overall.

Reviewed April 12, 2016 via mobile

My partner had hinted we were going somewhere special for my birthday, he had tried some delicious empanadas at the seafood festival and would not tell me where from so he could surprise me.

We arrived a little bit early to an already set up quiet table at the far end of the room, our waitress was so warm, friendly and attentive.

Now let's talk about the food, I was completely blown away. I am usually a fast eater but with every dish that came out I found myself trying to slow down and enjoy every bite, from the velvety guacamole with actual home made chips (just like mom used to make) to the tacos/quesadilla with flavoursome tortillas, I was in Latin American heaven!!

The garlic prawns came on a bed of tomatoey rice packed with delicious flavours that kept me wanting more even when I could barely breathe from eating way too much.

I felt that after our meal we were left to our own accord to talk and recover from the feast we just had, our waitress insisted on dessert, what's a birthday without dessert after all and they had Flan on the menu literally every Latin American child (inner child) favourite dessert.

Dessert came out, they sung me happy birthday, I went completely red and when we left I even got a birthday hug. Made me feel a little bit less home sick, the food, the music, the lovely staff.

I am glad this was saved for a special day :)