“Ok, but no more”

Ranked #310 of 2,344 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We visited Besos Latinos for lunch on Jan 2014 with huge expectation. Not only the restaurant had a great review on Cuisine, but also, being a Mexican myself, it is always a bonus to find such a promising restaurant while on holiday. Unfortunately, having read the dinner menu the night prior to our lunch date, our hopes for a truly Latin American meal were too high. The dinner menu reads fantastic, a combination of classic Latin American food with a kiwi twist. The lunch menu, on the other hand, is nothing more than average, what you encounter in most so called "Mexican" restaurants. Compliments to the chef, a young guy from Mexico City, his red rice reminded me of my Mother's rice. Also a very charming guy. My empanadas dish comprised two Argentinian empanadas, tasty, rice, salad, and unfortunately, a dollop of an unknown substance called salsa. It was more like pasatta, if not Old del Paso. Come on, make a proper salsa mate! It also had some totopos (tortilla chips), from a packet. Not good. The ambience is great, the restaurant tastefully decorated with all sorts of Mexican knick knacks. A huge bonus is to be part of the Elliot Stables complex. All in all, ok, but not wow. I am sure that the dinner menu is much, much, better, so we will return... for dinner, perhaps.

There are newer reviews for Besos Latinos

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went here with a friend for lunch. We ordered from the lunch 'specials' menu - soft taco with chicken (advertised $12.50). The tacos themselves were lovley - warmed on a char grill or similar, although the chicken was pretty bland, in my opinion. When we ordered (my friend got the beef taco) we were asked if we wanted 'guacamole and cheese' with that - and, assuming they were part of the dish (we weren't told otherwise) we said "yes, please". Turns out these were 'additional extras' ($4) for what would have been an incredibly bland dish without them. I can say that the service was efficient and friendly, and possibly had we ordered from the main menu we would've received a more satisfying meal. I can only say that if you're going to do lunch 'specials', it's counter-productive if you're then losing potential repeat business by sneaking in extras and leaving your diners feeling cheated. There are plenty of other excellent eateries in Elliot Stables that I will go back to again before Besos Latinos.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

This being the only place serving food in the Stables at 2200 Friday night we were welcomed at this restaurant.
I ordered Haloumi cheese & what arrived was a piece of rubber in a tasty sauce. I complained & it was explained that they would replace it but it would still be the same. I asked to speak to the chef who, to his credit, came with the original slice of cheese he was supposed to cook for this dish,
Well, Haloumi cheese at any other good restaurant is at least an inch thick & is grilled to be runny on the inside &crisp outside. This poor chef was presented with a thin slice of rubbery cheese, definitely not Haloumi, that he was supposed to do something with ! Poor chef.
The buyer needs to go visit some other similar places & taste what Haloumi is meant to be!
Their other offerings have deteriorated lately I feel food wise which is a shame as they fill a gap in the "after show" patrons. Why does Stables die after 2100?

besoslatinos, Owner at Besos Latinos, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hola Iwikau – we appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns. We’re sorry we did not deliver a flawless dining experience. We work hard to offer good food and friendly service and our main aim is to serve authentic Latin American cuisine in the restaurant, true to it’s roots. Again, we’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Your comments will be passed on and will assist us in improving our service. Muchas gracias! Luis C.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Excellent empanadas and sangria. Nice atmosphere.
Staff was efficient and friendly. Authentic food and ambiance.

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked for the Latin singing and dancing which we enjoyed and created a great atmosphere so good for that. Once we sat down a waiter was on top of us pushing to order and we rushed it. I did not like my food - maybe I do not like Latin food? Neither did my partner. The problem is there are so many great eating places in central Auckland and you can't just serve average food. Once we had ordered the Waiter ignored us so ordering drinks was hard. The margarita was great!! Did we have a good night... Yes the entertainment was great but would I go back to eat? No.