“100% recommend...MUST DO!!!!”
Review of Waitakere Tours - Day Tours - CLOSED

Waitakere Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group, personal, active day tours. Waitakere Ranges has been our family home for over a hundred years. Share with us the wild bush, wild black sand beaches, real kiwi kai(food) with real locals and get a sense of the history and culture which has help shape this beautiful place to what it is today.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

What an amazing day tour! It was just myself and my husband, and Shane still took us out. We saw things that we would have never found on our own. Shane was so knowledgeable, and fun. We had such a great time! Lunch was fantastic, by the way. We didn't have a bag sandwich lunch like many tours would do. His wife Ana made us the most amazing red cabbage salad, quiche, etc.
The entire trip was so great, I would consider doing an overnight tour (and I DO NOT CAMP!!!) because it was so well done.
I would say it was so informative and personalized that I could not have asked for anything more.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Shane is the best tour guide. Very friendly, knowledgeable and very proud of his Waitakere roots and the Maori heritage. His wife Ana makes an excellent homemade lunch, including fabulous shortbread! Even though the day was light to heavy rain, this tour takes you to the Karekare black sand beach then onto scenic Piha beach lookout and a fabulous hike through a rain forest where it opens up to the Kitekite Falls...these falls were amazing and beautiful cascading down the mountain. It doesn't stop there...you get to actually walk on gigantic black sand dunes and if you're brave enough you can walk down the edge to the river below. I was chicken, but those that did it thought it the best experience. This is definitely a must and gets you out of Auckland.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were in Auckland, and needed to get out of the city for the day,and I couldnt have picked a better tour. Shane picked me and my god mother up from our Auckland hotel and took us to the Waitakere ranges in Feb 2013. The tour was fantastic and Shane was very informative but made the tour exiting and personnal, not boring and sat in a coach like some other tours. This was hands on (or should I say feet on) as we walked along the sand dunes, swam in a lake, visited waterfalls, and the fantastic Pia beach, it was a hidden gem finding this tour. The food and company made this day unforgettable. Thanks Shane, for a brilliant New Zeland experience, I am so glad I went to the waitakere ranges on your tour.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Shane is the best tour guide ever. Not only is he knowledgeable and friendly, he really works hard to ensure that you have the best experience. Even though there were only two people booked for the tour, he still took us out. I was amazed at the depth of his knowledge regarding the temperate rainforest plants and their traditional and medicinal uses by the Maori. It was great to get away from the city and see the coast through a local's eyes. He can also personalize tours to other areas so when I go back to New Zealand I will definitely be hiring him to do this for my family! I'd give him six stars if I could!

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The tour was amazing. Sean took us trough the river and up to the black San dunes. Then a visit to the rain forest with a fabulous ending at the beach. If you visit New Zealand this is a most do tour.