“Fantastic!!!”
Review of Waitakere Tours - Day Tours - CLOSED

Waitakere Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group, personal, active day tours. Waitakere Ranges has been our family home for over a hundred years. Share with us the wild bush, wild black sand beaches, real kiwi kai(food) with real locals and get a sense of the history and culture which has help shape this beautiful place to what it is today.
PA
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Shane is the best tour guide ever. Not only is he knowledgeable and friendly, he really works hard to ensure that you have the best experience. Even though there were only two people booked for the tour, he still took us out. I was amazed at the depth of his knowledge regarding the temperate rainforest plants and their traditional and medicinal uses by the Maori. It was great to get away from the city and see the coast through a local's eyes. He can also personalize tours to other areas so when I go back to New Zealand I will definitely be hiring him to do this for my family! I'd give him six stars if I could!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Love it!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The tour was amazing. Sean took us trough the river and up to the black San dunes. Then a visit to the rain forest with a fabulous ending at the beach. If you visit New Zealand this is a most do tour.

“Awesome guide!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Shane is an excellant guide! He is knowledgeable about the area and his stories about how he spent his childhood in the forest are just so interesting! Shane brought us away from the usual tracks and showed us the hidden gems of the areas that you wouldnt know if you were there yourself. We were simply blown away by the breath taking views! He was very nice to talk to as well! And to make the trip even better, he brought home cooked food (from his wife!) And we finally got to taste what the locals eat! Highly recommend going on a tour with Shane!!!

Honolulu, Hawaii
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Day Tour”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Get out of the city and see some of the real beauty of the Auckland area. Shane is the best person to show you the Waitakere Ranges.This is a small private and very personal tour. Shane will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the best places.Shane will share his love of this area with you and give you a tour to remember forever. His wife Ana with provide you with an amazing lunch. When in Auckland, contact Shane for a amazing expierence and you will be glad that you did. Shane and Ana desreve 10 stars for what they provide!!!

Visited March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing Day Trip around Auckland”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I had an amazing time with Shane seeing the west coast of Auckland. I found out about the tour through my hotel (who HIGHLY recommended him-having tried it themselves) and so I trusted them blindly. Best decision ever. Unlike other commercial tours, this felt like I was hanging out with a friend all day. Shane took me to very un-touristy yet beautiful parts of the town - Black sand dunes in the middle of nowhere (breath-taking), water falls, some hiking trails and a black sand beach (Anawhata). The best part was his flexibility in organizing the tour. For example, he would tell me that we can go to Piha beach (which is more popular among tourists) but the other one was more secluded, so it was up to me to decide. (Luckily, I was the only person on the tour that day).

He is also really knowledgeable about the area having grown up there and lots of little stories to say. In general, he was a great conversationist, so it was really nice to chat with him as well, while enjoying the rest of the the tour.

To top it all, he had organized food for the entire day - a lovely home-cooked healthy lunch (by his wife) and had fresh fruits and juices for the day too. They came as lovely surprises after a tiring hike!

I'd highly recommend his tour, even for people who may have lived in Auckland for a while, since some of these places aren't highlighted in typical tourist guides or even known to some locals.

Visited March 2013