“The best”
Review of Waitakere Tours - Day Tours - CLOSED

Waitakere Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group, personal, active day tours. Waitakere Ranges has been our family home for over a hundred years. Share with us the wild bush, wild black sand beaches, real kiwi kai(food) with real locals and get a sense of the history and culture which has help shape this beautiful place to what it is today.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent 21 days in New Zealand and Australia and had 15 tours and Shane is the best. He knew more of the region than all the other tours guides put together. His wife makes an excellent lunch

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were highly encouraged by a Kiwi friend to contact Shane for a day of hiking. Shane helped us figure out where to base ourselves (Piha), how to get there from the Auckland airport (Piha shuttle), and gave us a fabulous day of hiking in three different spots including the beach featured in the film The Piano. Shane's family has been in the area for 5 generations and thus he can give you the complete history of this part of NZ in an interesting and personal way. He knows every plant and every animal and can answer any question about NZ you might care to ask. And his wife sent along a delicious and healthy lunch. Shane is quite booked up but it is worth organizing your schedule around his - you wouldn't want to miss this experience.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was a super tour, in spite of the weather not cooperating, although it was obvious the rain that was with us pretty much all day was very needed. Shane picked us up at our hotel at 8am and dropped us off at the airport 8 1/2 hours later and during that time we saw waterfalls, a real rain forest (in the rain no less), marvelous beaches, a Gannet Colony, some huge trees, lots of beautiful countryside and had a great picnic lunch thanks to Shane's wife Ana. Shane is a great spokesman for New Zealand, and the Waitakere area being a 5th generation Kiwi. He's extremely knowledgeable about all the flora and fauna of the region as well as providing background on how this area was settled. My wife is a Croation from the Dalmatian Coast and Shane shared with us much lore relating to the early Croation settlers thanks to his wife's ancestry. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see a side of the North Island of NZ that other tour groups might gloss over.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Shane arrived right on time, very friendly and full of info about the locals. We visited a Gannet Colony, nice walk on a black sand beach, another nice walk barefoot down a small stream and flowing water with very soft, smooth black sand. Seems only the locals know about this place. Part of the hike was to be across some very large sand dunes near the end of the walk, but it proved too hot to walk barefoot and came back down the stream. Finished up with a nice hike through a rainforest, lots of scenery and Shane filled us in on the flora and fauna of the area. We were treated to a lunch provided by Hanna, the salad was to die for. Bring sunscreen, you'll need it.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Shane knew everything about New Zealand.. History, geology, Maori culture, he knew it all. Throughout the tour he would tell you bits of information about things we're passing etc. He grew up in the forest so he seemed to genuinely know all of the facts just from his love for the outdoors rather than straight out of an encyclopaedia.

First we did Piha Beach which was super. One of the most beautiful places I've been to on my travels, we walked around and got photos etc after climbing over some rocks (It was nothing too strenuous, old people and young children would be capable without a problem)

After this we hiked for around 25 minutes through a bit of forest until we got to a beautiful waterfall - The water was absolutely freezing but Shane managed to get me in. We swam under the falling water and it was so beautiful and refreshing. The girls on the tour didn't bother to get into the water because they didn't want to get wet but I bet they regretted it! If you get the chance to jump in, just flipping do it! :)

Then we had lunch which was made by Shane's wife I believe! Was a super lunch and I enjoyed it - The only thing I could point out was that the two dishes were risky ones in terms of.. Well one was a salad which had nuts, a lot of people are allergic to nuts. The second was a quiche thing but with unwhisked eggs which could be risky for some people, including my girlfriend! But I assume there are different lunches every day. In my opinion lunch was super though!

My advice would be that if you're allergic to nuts or egg just give him a call!

Thirdly we went to an inland desert type thing - It was massive dunes surrounded by forest at one side, fields at the other side, a stream at another side and a huge lake at last side.
Pretty unusual and was a great experience to see. Shane was able to tell us that the all blacks and other local sports teams train here by running up and down the steep sides of the dunes so I gave it a try.. Was tough! Again - Beautiful scenery.

Then we went to another beach, which I can't remember the name of. It was incredible though, We were at a viewing point at the top of a cliff face and at each side there were miles upon miles of beach. Pretty sure that particular beach goes on for 60 miles according to Shane.
There were literally about 50/60 surfers and it was good to watch and great for photos

Lastly we went to a viewing point at the top of a hill from which you could see Auckland city centre and the skytower etc. The day we went up there was a bit of cloud so it was tough to see but I can imagine on a clearer day it would be brilliant!

Thanks for a super day Shane!

1  Thank Dan M