“Ideal for us” 5 of 5 bubbles

Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel
Minneapolis
“Ideal for us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

We had a 2BR apartment for 3 nights to begin our New Zealand trip. I really don't think we could have made a better choice. The room had every convenience including a kitchenette with modern appliances. However, there is no wireless internet--a problem if you are using an iPad for your access. There is a computer in the lobby for your use (for a fee). The location was especially convenient and we did not need a car until we left Auckland. The ferry terminal, restaurants, grocery store, and bus stop were a short walk away. A very, very good value.

P.S. We thought the Indian restaurant in the lobby was great--very good food and service. The delicious smell did permeate the lobby, but not the rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank traveldiveski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I stayed at the Celestion Waldorf Apartments for 5 days during a recent visit to Auckland. I found the location to be very good as it's within walking distance of the central city. The parking situation, however, is very poor. When I arrived by car there was no place to park in front of the hotel other than a very narrow lane down the side which can only accommodate one parked car. I was forced to circle the block until the parking space in the lane became available so I could check in.

My booking at Celestion included free parking, however, the check-in staff were unaware of this and tried to charge me extra. In the end, I was assigned a parking space behind the hotel. It was great to have a parking space right at the hotel (others were assigned parking 5 minutes walk away) but several times during my stay I had to wait before I could park as the small lane used to access the car park was blocked by another car.

Once checked in I found there is only one small elevator in the building, which is also used by the housekeeping staff. I often had to wait up to 5 minutes before the elevator became available.

I found my room to be clean and of a comfortable size (2-bedroom with small living area and kitchen). However, in the main bedroom there was an audible humming sound coming from the ventilation/plumbing system in the ceiling.

Finally, on checking out the reception staff again tried to charge me for parking. They would also not immediately refund the $100 deposit I had made via preauthorization on my credit card, stating that housekeeping were unavailable to inspect the room until later that day. This surprised me as other hotels I have stayed at do this on the spot.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul110969
, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. Your pre-authorisation was released later in the day and with your feedback we will review our policies on such matters.

Our downtown location does present its own unique parking constraints which we try and manage as best we can. However in this case we have failed to meet expectations and for that I am truly sorry. Thank you for your feedback and we hope that you can give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Regards

Andrew Buenter
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Spent a week in an extremely comfortable apartment unit, facing quiet Emily Street. Ideally positioned for financial district, with Shortland Street within a 100m walk. The accommodation is superb, providing far more comfort and space than a 5 star hotel, at far less cost. It's great value. Also located 5 minutes from Britomart Transport Centre (rail & buses) and numerous good pubs and restaurants. I didn't use the kitchen once, as Ima in Fort Street is 200-300m away, and probably the best reasonably priced restaurant I've eaten at in Auckland. Unfortunately, it's only open Tuesday- Friday. Will be staying here for all my regular trips to Auckland.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jeff031
Waldorf_APTS_NZ, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Jeff thanks for your comments they do mean a lot to my team.
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

I generally research my trips in a lot of detail before I choose locations in which to stay, and we were certainly not disappointed in any way by the Celestion Waldorf.
I booked directly with the hotel by email for a week in March, and got a better offer than some of the usual global booking sites. We were 'upgraded' to a 2 bedroom suite rather than the requested 1 bed unit, maybe the luck of the draw when we arrived but very useful nevertheless as we were staying in NZ for 3 weeks and the extra room allowed us to store our clothes and stuff better over 2 wardrobes and bedrooms.
The location suited us perfectly, easy walking access to city centre within 5 or 10 minutes. Public transport passed by within a few metres. A very good supermarket only a few minutes away too.
The room was very clean and everything still seemed quite new, with all the facilities mentioned here and elsewhere. Everything functioned well, but the TV had limited stations for a devoted channel flicker like M. In room internet was relatively inexpensive by European and British hotel standards if you choose the option wisely, but any charge for this essential service is one of my pet hates. In fact FOC internet is now a deciding factor for me in choosing locations, at least when I am paying the bill.
We found the staff very helpful and welcoming. If you have a car, as we did for a couple of days, I'd recommend that you give the front desk plenty of notice to get one of the few on site parking spaces (daily charge). Otherwise you have to park off site in one of two parking lots about 5 minutes walk away.
We would definitely stay at the Waldorf Celestion again.
We loved Auckland, walked everywhere and used public transport too across the bay and beyond for the first couple of days before renting a car and daytripping to Coromandel and the Northland regions.

We know what we like and need, YMMV.

3 Thank Pardo
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed for two nights in a very comfortable, large suite with a separate bedroom, kitchenette, study, TV sofa, and balcony. The room was very comfortable, clean and great value for money. The immediate city area is dull but it's just 10 minutes walk from the Quay Street quays for plenty of choices for waterfront cafes and restaurants. Even my fussy wife said she'd be happy to stay there again! :)
Highly recommended

4 Thank tobyis
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

I satyed in a 1 bedroom+study apartment in Waldorf Celestion for 3 nights.It was in a great location and we had a great s[acious accommodation,modern,clean and well serviced.Very secured complex in a great central Auckland City location.Highly recomended by me!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank guyrogers
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed here for week.Got a 2 bedroomed apartment on the 9th floor.Staff were helpful and polite.The location for exploring downtown Auckland and the harbour area couldnt be faulted.For cheap but excellent food try the food hall at the back of the bus terminal-choice of various stalls-main courses round about $12 nz..If you are feeling like a blowout try the angus steakhouse,choose your own cut of beef,choose your sides add a bit of salad-the meat is grilled before your eyes then delivered sizzling hot to your table.We ate there 3 times in the week and the place was packed.
As regards the lobby of the waldorf,yes there is a smell of indian cooking but once in the lift the smell was gone,i wouldnt have thought to be honest that it would be offensive to anyone-in fact if i hadnt have seen the couple of reviews complaining about it i wouldnt have mentioned it.
If you stay there and are looking for a nice coffee and breakfast exit right out of the hotel and about 200 meters up the road on the right opposite the customs building is a lovely cafe serving really good food and the like with some very comfortable sofas and chairs so you can relax.
Would i recommend the waldorf-yes i would-remarkably inexpensive for its location and a great base for exploring Auckland.Only downside would be some nights there can be a bit of noise in the streets below from backpackers making their way back to their hostels but you get that in any city centre worldwide nowadays so its no great issue.

4 Thank ausspom