“New management; new and better experience!”

Ravenhill Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #557 of 2,327 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Contemporary
“New management; new and better experience!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I am not writing about Ravenhill as a tourist but as a discerning local. Three weeks ago Ravenhill reopened under new management. I have been there four times since.

On three occasions I have lunched with friends and once brunched (is that a word?) with my partner. Apart from the breakfast menu eggs and toast (up to scratch) I haven't managed to get past the grilled Haloumi pretzel rolls. Why would I? Perfect in every respect.

Coffee is just exactly as it should be (or better) and attention from the tattooed and energetic staff as good as it gets.

It's a little overpriced considering the numerous cafes in the vicinity but you won't complain. Enjoy it.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad food”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived and while looking at what food was being offered in the cabinet we were told "please sit down". We sat out in the courtyard which desperately needed a clean and tidy up, it has so much potential but very tired. We ordered eggs Benedict and muesli. The muesli was like sawdust and the fruit looked like it had been prepared days before.....apple was transparent, berries very soft. When paying for the bill we were asked how our meals were, we explained that muesli was not eaten and fruit was old......we were not offered a discount, refund or apology. Sadly, we won't come back again.

• Visited August 2013
“Lunch”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Good lunches, my wife had the Chicken Caesar Salad with plenty of good fresh greens. I had the Sirloin steak and very nicely done as asked for 'Just medium'. Not very modern layout but still we were comfortable and served by very friendly staff..

• Visited July 2013
“OK...”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Staff are friendly enough, coffee is average, space is good, seems mediteranean in theme..maybe just the decor - an old meat butchery from 1930s/40s. They sometimes offer 3 course meal deals on Thursdays circa $50/head including glass of wine.

Visited December 2012
“Understated but reliable.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is my local, along with some other very fine cafes and restaurants. I love it because I've had many happy memories there. The menu and food is generally very tasty and reliable and the coffee has always been fab. Disappointing that there doesn't appear to be anywhere to leave a 'phone message and emails aren't responded to. Tried to make a group booking and the day before a message was left asking us to confirm but I wasn't able to speak to anyone to do so. The staff are attentive and polite but we were the only ones there for ages. Perfect venue for larger groups, some cafes are just too small and noisy. Ravenhill has three separate dining areas, an outside courtyard, a quieter inside dining room away from the road frontage and beautiful big windows facing outside that can be opened up on a good day. The window benches are made of marble leftover from it's previous life as a butchery....loads of history here.

• Visited November 2012