“Pretty Good”

Dining options: Reservations
Auckland
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Came here for a farewell dinner for our homestay. Had been to a similar place called 'Gengis' in Rotorua. The idea of the place was good, and them cooking your food was pretty cool. I didn't really seem to notice the staff, they didn't really say much or interact.

Food was yum, mum didn't like it though. It's one of those places where you love it or hate it, it's devided 50/50. You really look foward to dessert, well at least the kids and teens do. Place was mostly clean.

It seemed like there was a bit of panic in the kitchen though, and the layout of the place was O.K. My final conclusion, is to not organise to go there. If you are organising a night out, consider other places first. But if someone invites you for like a casual thing, dont say no. Also if you're hungry and pass it while walking, and are willing to pay a bit mopre money than Mcdonalds, pop in, and you SHOULD have a good time.

• Visited February 2012

Auckland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food bad service”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Food was great, i really liked the way it was cooked infront of you. But the staff were all rude and didn't even take drink orders for us. When we tried to get the waitress' attention she gave us this really evil look and ignored us.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Georgia K
Auckland, New Zealand
“Waste of money”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Food is horrid raw and cooked all a little to close for comfort not sure of standards and not really a clean place but staff friendly at least so big ups got that not going back again sorry

“Good value for money”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went here with my parents for a treat.

The concept is fairly simple, you take a bowl and fill it with the meat, veggies and oils/sauces you want. You then take it to the chefs who cook it on a giant tepan style hot plate before placing it in a clean bowl and handing it back to you.

The meat was cooked wonderfully and essentially you could go up as often as you want.

I didn't sample anything from the buffet really and just had the bowls of food - I must have had around 4 before feeling pretty full.

In terms of value for money, you can go up as often as you like so I think this is a big plus - obviously don't fill your plate and only eat half of what you have picked up as potentially you could be charged extra for waste (which is fair enough and is something I have seen over here in the uk).

Other people have commented that it is pretty noisy - this is a fair assessment, however, it is set out more like a canteen style setting, I would compare the atmosphere to that of a Wagamama and so we didn't find this to distracting as it is something we are used to.

To conclude, I would say the food is here is quick, simply cooked, but good value overall, especially if you're all really hungry.

NB - as all the food is cooked on the same hot plate, nut allergy suffers may need to exercise some caution, whilst the hot plate is wiped down frequently, my sister did have a very very MILD reaction, I would emphasise the MILD part on this point, however, it is something to keep in mind.

• Visited December 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
“One time visit”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Big place, I have been here a number of times in the past, but returned recently after 6 months to find that the prices have gone up, the quality of the food has gonedown.
Selection much less now, service is so slow, and nt a friendly team no more.
The idea of this sort of Stir Fry is great, but they have lost grip on looking after the customers, I will not return now, shame because it is not far from my home.
For $25 per person better value else where...
From Downtown use New Lynn bus, too far from train station, car parking good.

• Visited September 2012