“Taste bud sensation”

Ranked #2 of 2,372 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: SIDART Restaurant is an award winning fine dining restaurant located in the Three Lamps Plaza, 283 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland. We are open Tuesday to Saturday for dinner from 6pm and Friday's for lunch. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Art on a plate. A journey of tastes, colours and sensations on the palate. Wonderful and very interesting wine matches. Great service and presentation. Tiny criticism for one course of cool plates resulting in cool food which I think would have been better hotter. Overall, despite the expense, very good value for an exceptional, occasional experience.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Since moving to NZ we were looking forward to visiting SidArt more than any other restaurant. We went along to the Tuesday night test kitchen that serves up 8 courses for $80.

First thing is first, the food is fantastic. Each dish is beautifully constructed and presented on a variety of different plates. It consisted of 3 fish dishes, 3 red meat dishes and 2 desserts. I won't elaborate any more than to say that we really liked all of them and loved 3 of them.

The reason that it has lost 1 star is because we were a little disappointed with a few aspects. First of all, I chose the matching wine menu and while the wines were nice they were very small pours and I than buying a full glass and sharing between two. Plus none of the wines were from the list not available by the glass. Another issue was that it took 4 hours to get all of our food which was too long compared to other fine dining restaurants that I've eaten at. Another niggle is that by the time the food arrived is was at the lower end of the temperature range. I noticed that their pass doesn't have heat lamps and I wonder if the final few minutes preparing the food result in it starting to get cold. Finally, the atmosphere was more of a bar atmosphere rather than a fine dining romantic feeling. This is because the tables are all very close together, which is not something I've experience in other restaurants in this price bracket.

Overall, we would definitely go back but may try a few other of the top restaurants first.

1  Thank CarlEdinburgh
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I've done the 8 course test menu twice this month at Sidart. Sid and his team are absolute legends. From the minute you arrive to the minute you roll out of there, it's a fantastic experience. Each dish is literally a piece of delicious edible art. This place is for real foodies.. If you want a steak and chips then don't come here. I will definately be going back each month to try the new test menu! Divine!!! Congrats Sid..

1  Thank SouthwestofTexas
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is the best I have dined at ... anywhere! It may be similar to others in Auckland but this ticks all the boxes.

Best to book well in advance, especially for groups as we were fortunate enough to get in last minute. staff were so professional and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. You only have two menu options, 5 courses or 10 courses and these are with or without wine. They will even modify dishes to your dietary needs. We selected the 5 courses, one bottle of white to share and then a glass of red to enjoy with the dessert. Every bite and drop were amazing!

Arriving at Three Lamps Plaza you may have concern, but once you step through the door you are simply in another world.

Do it and Enjoy!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

There aren't enough superlatives in the English language to describe this meal. We splurged on the 10-course degustation for two people, plus wine pairings for one person. Sure, it was expensive, but it was well worth every penny. When I had made my reservation, I was asked if we had any dietary requirements, and I had replied that our only requirement was that the food be amazing! Well, it was. There were actually more like 13 courses, because there were three "amuse-bouche" courses to start before the "official" entree courses, mains and desserts. Every single mouthful of every single course was a new taste experience. I can't adequately describe all the different, unusual combinations and presentations, suffice to say that we were surprised and delighted and in raptures with every morsel. Besides that, the service was flawless. Our principal server was also the restaurant's wine expert, so we got the best of both worlds. His knowledge about every detail of both food and wine was extraordinary, and best of all, he was a lot of fun - we had a great time kidding around with him in between the more serious details of the presentation. And the wine! My partner (who did the drinking) was in oenophile heaven. And the location/setting was a big surprise - you walk into this pretty ordinary looking mini-mall, expecting nothing special, but once you walk through the restaurant door, you feel like you're in another world altogether, with spectacular views out over the city. Wow! If I had to make one criticism, it would be that the temperature of the dining room was really too warm. We were roasting by about mid-way through our evening (which lasted over 4 hours!), so I can only imagine how warm the wait staff must have been. Other than that, a perfect experience all around. If you have a special occasion and some extra cash, go to Sidart.