“Great pizza if you can find it!”
Review of That's Amore

That's Amore
Ranked #121 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

That's Amore is a great little pizza place but its hard to find. It is a great example of the benefits of sites like Tripadvisor as you would never find it if you were just visiting the city like me and wandering around trying to find somewhere to eat.
Although it has a High Street address (parallel with Queen's Street) you are actually looking for an escalator which runs up between a row of shops and a little garden with a waterfall and military statue. There is a small sign to That's Amore at the bottom but easily missed. At the top of the escalator you still need to keep some faith following the path around to the right and then finally at the next corner you find a little corner modern glass 'unit' which is the restaurant.
It's the sort of place I wouldn't have gone in without reviews. It doesn't look like much, especially on a quiet Monday night but the pizza is lovely and the staff friendly.
I can see that you might need to book at the weekends as there are probably no more than 20 seats.
I like egg on my pizzas and chose the 'Bacon & Egg'. I was a bit sceptical but reassured and it proved a good choice. The 'bacon' was thin sliced Parma ham.
Small pizzas more than enough for one and on average $14 so no worse than the rest of the world (with pizzas expensive for what they are everywhere). I'd go back for the food and service. The setting is not great, not helped by many of the other units being empty and it being rather quiet that night.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you love pizza - then you must visit That's Amore. A large selection of pizzas to choose from, great quality ingredients, and incredibly authentic. Nice selection of wine. Great staff and central location. If you want to eat in then be sure to book as they are busy!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

A tiny spot attached to a hotel - I was expecting reheated frozen pizzas. Instead we got tasty pizza toppings on beautiful hand made thin crust pizza dough. The gnocchi my youngest daughter chose was equally tasty. And beautiful home-made gelato to finish. Awesome.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went here with my daughter and son-in-law for a belated birthday dinner - they had been there the week before for the actual birthday. Our young Italian waiter made the dining experience a real pleasure, and the pizzas (three of us shared two medium sized ones) were just wonderful. Yes, they do do Hawaiian, though you might get a rather scathing look if you order that. But real Italian pizza, with relatively simple flavour combinations, is so much better. We treated ourselves to truffle oil, a flavour I've not had before - intriguing, a delicate aromatic spice sensation, definitely worth repeating. The only downer was that we missed out on the tiramisu - they only make small quantities. A tip is to order your tiramisu when you make your booking.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We just wanted a light dinner on arrival in Auckland and this fitted the bill. Their pizzas are fabulous - nice thin crusts and real Italian type pizza. Great service. Would recommend.