“Outstanding day out - unmissable”
Review of Milestone Tours

Milestone Tours
Ranked #22 of 167 Tours in Auckland Central
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the real New Zealand with Milestone Tours. We specialise in day tours and shore excursions in and around Auckland. Enjoy Auckland's city sights and picturesque beaches or come with us to Waitomo, Rotorua, Taupo, Hobbiton, Coromandel, Matakana or the Bay of Islands.Our half day, one day and two day tours will help you make the most of your stay in Auckland. With a maximum of 10 guests, our high-quality, small-group tours showcase the best of New Zealand's scenery, culture and history. If you would prefer a private tour please contact us. We can tailor an itinerary to your requirements for 2 - 20 guests.
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Four of us took Milestones Adventure tour while in Auckland and it was one of the best things we did. It had a bit of everything including a drive up an extinct volcano with awesome views of Auckland and a wonderfully informative and fun walk through the native forest to a spectacular waterfall - the black sand beach was incredible too, as was the surfing we watched. The picnic in the bush was a great touch too, especially as the sun shone for us.

This was the only 'formal' tour we took on our holiday and it left us wondering if we should have done more as it gave us a real sense of where we were and what we were seeing.

There are newer reviews for Milestone Tours

Reviewed June 28, 2010

As a single female traveller I was a little concerned about spending two days with a
bunch of people I didn't know. I needn't have worried. Milestone Tours were great.
We were kept busy enough by a very friendly and knowledgeable guide (Gavin) but not
so busy we couldn't stop to take lots of photos! The group was small it was hard
not to feel at home. Gavin treated us all like long lost mates and was eager to help
with recommendations for dinner stops.The cultural performance at Whakarewarewa
(apologies if I have misspelt) was fantastic, the geothermal pools and caves truly
magnificent. I would not hesitate to contact Milestone Tours on my next visit to New
Zealand nor recommend them to friends. I thoroughly enjoyed my tour and walked away
thinking that it was money very well spent.

Reviewed May 25, 2010

This tour might be a little pricier than most, but it is absolutely worth it. Gavin knows the North Island in and out, and his tour was the best I went on in over two weeks in New Zealand. He speaks Maori, and his knowledge of all things Kiwi is truly spectacular. History, geography and culture; he knows it all. But the tour never even gets close to cheesy: he avoids the touristy towns and anything less than 100% genuine. I can't recommend his tours enough.

Reviewed May 8, 2010

My wife and I had a great trip with Milestone Tours on our visit to Rotorua, Taupo and the Waitomo caves.

Our host on the trip Gavin is exceptionally knowledgeable on all things Kiwi and he is also the proud owner of the family-run company. Gavin's attention to his guests is notable and really showed us the benefits of small group touring - especially since my wife and I were the only guests on this tour. On top of this, the Mercedes van we toured in was in excellent condition, and Gavin's skills behind the wheel (especially with his ex-police defensive driving background) made us feel safe at all times, even in some wet and wild conditions.

Our first stop on the tour on day one was in Otorohanga for lunch. This town itself is nothing terribly noteworthy - very similar to most small towns in Australia, but offers the chance to see how the locals live and grab a bite to eat. The afternoon activity to the Waitomo Caves was an impressive sight, with the glow-worm caves probably the best we have seen in both NZ and Australia - definitely worth a visit. We were even serenaded by a church choir group in the cathedral hall who wanted to try out the acoustics of the cave. On to Lake Taupo for the night where comfortable accommodation provided a view over the lake and the chance to explore the town and local restaurants.

Up the next morning for some sunrise photos over the lake and a bite to eat with the included breakfast at the restaurant. Off on day two of the tour and a visit to the close by Huka Falls which were a very impressive sight. Amazing colour and the volume of water over the falls is a must-see. On to the Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Park and a visit to the bubbling, steaming mud pools (also the first chance to really smell the sulphur). On from here to see the impressive Lady Knox Geyser blow some water and a walk around the Champagne Pool. Unfortunately the weather was not great, so our walk was a quick one. I should mention we also made the mistake of buying lunch there at the exceptionally expensive café – we should have held on to Rotorua and would recommend the same for everyone else.

On to Rotorua and a trip to the small Maori village of Whakarewarewa – not the most impressive tour we’ve done, but very authentic in the delivery and the Maori concert at the end was quite impressive and even gave me the chance to perform the Haka. The day finished off with a chance to explore Rotorua and a scenic trip back to the hotel.

Overall, we were very impressed with the tour and our guide Gavin – the personalised service does make the extra cost of small group touring worthwhile. A one day tour of this region would have been far too quick, so the relaxed pace of this tour made sure we got to see all the “must-sees” in a comprehensive and informed way. We certainly do recommend Milestone Tours to anyone wanting to fit in a fair bit of sightseeing around north NZ in just a couple of days.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

My wife and I just got back from two weeks in Austrlia and New Zealand, and by far the highlight was Milestone's two-day tour of Rotorua, Taupo & Waitomo Caves. Gavin clearly does this out of a love of showing off New Zealand to visitors. Unfortunately (well, lucky for us I guess) there were cancellations due to the volcano in Iceland, resulting in us having a very private tour group consisting of my wife and I and one other guest. I suspect you would be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more about the country than Gavin, and his passion really shows. In addition to his knowledge, Gavin went out of his way to make sure we had a good time and had the best experience possible.

Just one example: When my wife and I asked what Hokey Pokey ice cream was and mentioned we had never tried it, and the other guest on the tour mentioned she could go for some ice cream as well, Gavin offered to find us an ice cream parlor to try some. (We had an hour to kill before heading back to Auckland.) When the place he suggested turned out to be closed, he vowed to stop in every town between Rotorua and Auckland until he found us our Hokey Pokey. (Luckily, there turned out to be a cute ice cream place around the corner, so crisis averted.) And now I have a new favorite flavor of ice cream - I just need to go back to NZ to get it.

We will be recommending Milestone to any friends who go to NZ.