“Froid et inconfortable.”

Frienz Backpacker Hostel Auckland
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

On se demande où est l'isolation des fenêtres. I had hairs on my sheets and I came in my room... No copboards. Tiny rooms. You don't want to stay there longer. The showers are tiny too. I was not felt well in this establishement. A lot of stairs, the lift was out...

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This was leaps and bounds better than the other two hostels I tried in downtown Auckland. One was unsafe, and the other tried to nickle and dime you for everything.

The price may be higher than some others, but it seems to have adequate services included. Very few places offer computers for free even if the connection is slow.

The downside is that there are a lot of people and cooking can get congested. The main area is loud, but I had no issues in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The main issue of my stay was no sleep due to all the noise. I guess if you want to be in party central all night, this is the place. But if you wish to get some sleep don't choose this place. The walls are paperthin which results in you hearing all conversations around you while trying to have timeout in your room. I finally managed to fall asleep at 4.30am even though there was still people coming walking down hallway while talking loudly. I had got my own room as I was exhausted, but think I should have just paid more and gone elsewhere. It was in great location, but there are many places to stay in area. The place was very basic. The room stated Thursday was its cleaning day. That is not much considering the amount of people that head through here. The office staff were helpful. The showers were very basic. I have stayed in many hostels over the years so am comparing to other hostels. When comparing this is one of the worst I have stayed in. Would not recommend sorry.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

No idea why this place seems to have so many bad reviews! I stayed at Frienz for just 2 nights but would happily have stayed longer if I hadn't been moving on from Auckland. Location was good, central, easy access from the airport shuttle, friendly atmosphere, met some really nice people in a short space of time. Came on a Thursday which was the pub crawl which was fun and good value. Rooms were clean and comfortable considering the price, bathrooms seemed fine...they did the job! Free wifi on the computers in the lobby, nice little TV/lounge area, standard kitchen. Basically has all the requirements of a good backpackers at a decent price (oh and it's unlicensed so you can bring your own booze, yay!) I'd stay again if I came back to Auckland.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Good central location, and you shouldn't expect too much from a budget hostel. However...

Dirty, scummy and faulty showers, stuffy bedrooms, bad mattresses and it does not look anything like the photos as it is run down to say the least. Lift appeared to be not working or completely unsafe for use. Altogether the above mixed with an unwelcoming atmosphere that attracted some boozy unfriendly travellers makes this place a hostel you'd want to avoid.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Calebski
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed there last year with my girlfriend in a double room. First night we agreed to stay in a twin room, because there was no double room available. Changed the next day into the double room, which was obviously not clean. We mentioned that at the reception and the baldy, weird guy was shouting at us, as if it was wrong to complain... It took a while before somebody cleaned it and even then it wasnt really clean. The kitchen was a desaster and showers were broken. Think you can get a way better deal in this normally so friendly country...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Arns30
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed here in March for 1 night and although I booked a twin room there weren't any available when we arrived so had to stay in a 4 bed dorm. The room was ok but a little on the small side and the mattress was awful, it was so saggy I thought I was going to sink into the bunk below! The bathroom was clean but there was only 1 shower and 2 toilets for the whole floor, that being said I didn't have to queue at any point. The kitchen area was quite small and a bit too cluttered to accommodate everyone comfortably. There was free internet but the computers were really really slow, however, free internet it seems is a rarity in most of New Zealand so I wasn't complaining. The security is a good factor here with codes to get in from the street and also a different code to access each floor of the hostel and the hostel's location is great, right in the centre of town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo