“Great setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Riverhead

The Riverhead
Ranked #86 of 2,225 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, New Zealand, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nestled on the shores of the upper Waitemata, The Riverhead is steeped in local history and was a vital part of the development of early New Zealand. Prior to The Riverhead being built on this site, Thomas Deacon, the original owner, owned a pub on the point just below where The Riverhead now stands. The early Maori used this landing point as the place to disembark and portage their waka across land to the Kumeu River to get easier access to the lands in the Far North. Early immigrants then used this same route to travel north, disembarking at Helensville and continuing by ship north via the Kaipara Harbour.
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great setting”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I have been to this restaurant a number of times now, and each time the food and service is pretty consistent - I would characterise it as very good, rather than excellent. The mussel and fish chowder is nice, but for $19 I would have expected a much larger serving. The tempura-battered fish (terakihi) and chips is very good, but how about at least a salad garnish on the side? My wife had the lamb and declared it to be superb. Service was efficient and not too overbearing.

• Visited August 2014

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Chillaxing”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

went for my bday lunch during week, nice food, saw a very friendly smiling employee there dont know her name though, but enjoyed the atmosphere, will be great when the building is finished bring on summer will return for a pre xmas drink!!! :) Would recommend taking a few friends out there and enjoy!!!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Something special”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife and I went to the Riverhead for something a bit special for an anniversary we have, and were blown away.

I ordered a Buffalo dish which I understand was a special the restaurant had been running in a competition which had just finished. Apparantly I couldn't vote in the competition because I was told it's finished. It was an amazing dish of locally sourced ingredients including water buffalo and gorse flowers and a daisy wonton - weird and magic. Good to hear of a business of this size supporting the local community too.

The weather was pretty amazing for the end of July (thanks global wamring!) and the river at high tide just added to the romantics of it all. We enjoyed it so much we'll keep this place in mind for all our special outings

• Visited August 2014
Melbourne
“Food poisoning warning”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Absolutely disgusting service and food. Never experienced such rude customer service, not to mention the food poisoning I got from the lamb. The manager should have a serious talking to after the way she spoke to us. I would never go back, not even if it was free. Stay clear unless you want food poisoning and a ruined night. Yuck.

2 Thank Kd2192
Ribs300, Owner at The Riverhead, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi there,
It is extremely concerning that you believe you have suffered from food poisoning after eating our lamb shanks on Saturday night. From our records we sold over 60 of these dishes on Saturday, all cooked together in a batches, with no other negative feedback or incidents. We take any issues around the quality of food very seriously and operate a stringent food safety programme and have specific procedures to follow should there be a complaint, so we would love it if you could contact us directly on 021 2433479. It also is totally disappointing to hear that your concerns weren't dealt with appropriately.
We are serious about our business and want to ensure that the experience at The Riverhead is perfect every time.
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst 50th birthday ever”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Went for my fathers birthday. We had one main arrive 15 minutes late, as well as our sides arriving 20minutes late. Other guests arriving a lot later then us were receiving their meals well before us. And the food was terrible. One dish was un eatable. When this was raised with the manager she was very unpleasant and said it was their key main dish and implied something was wrong with us despite all of us tasting it to confirm. No apology at all. Would never visit again!

3 Thank Svenjamjn
Ribs300, Owner at The Riverhead, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello,
Firstly, sorry to hear of the issues you experienced at your Fathers 50th last Saturday. As owners of The Riverhead we are very concerned to hear that you has problems with the standard and delivery of food and the way it was handled by our front of house team.
I wonder if you could contact us directly on 021 2433479 so that we can get more specific about the items of food you had issues with and the personell concerned as we would like to follow this up with our team.