“French dinner”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I'm french... and I enjoyed every bits of my evening.. a bit of home, far from home :)

Reviewed December 21, 2011

French owner, French maitre d', French chef, French staff, French wine, French food, French music, French atmosphere - get the picture. I like it a lot.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We chose Pastis for a Friday night dinner and booked for 6:30. We had been there before some time ago and to its predecessor Bouchon in Kingsland and it was handy to where we were.
The service and attention we received was excellent and the French staff were very helpful indeed. After a look at the menu we had made our choices but the blackboard specials changed our minds. My wife had the John Dory and I chose the venison. We had an excellent glass of pinot gris from Alsace - quite different but very good.
The meals were well presented and the servings were generous. No complaints about the food at all. For dessert we shared profiteroles - again a generous serving and too much for one. Our waiter seemed to sense that we wanted to share and was right on top of it.
The other diners need to know the meaning of the word discreet. This is the second restaurant in two weeks where we have found inconsiderate patrons have spoiled the experience. Loud conversations are not necessary. I don't know why it is that people seem to have to yell at one another to converse. Perhaps they think they are on a cell phone - or perhaps excessive cellphone use has caused deafness. Or maybe it is just arrogance - hear me, look at me, here I am.
Now this is not Pastis' problem - or maybe it is. A discreet word to tone down the volume.
There was a lovely accordian player there as well which set a Parisian atmosphere. Perhaps she should position herself a little further away from the tables. She was right next to us and was a trifle loud.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We visited Pastis during the lull in the Rugby World Cup crowds. We were greeted at the door, shown a beautiful table, and the rest went uphill from there. The staff was very attentive, and the food presentation was top shelf. The portions were in no way skimpy as we have experienced in some other French eateries, and more importantly, the food tasted and was presented with great care and pride. We had the specials of the evening, a duck dish and a snapper dish, and were they ever special. The desserts were great also.

1  Thank Pwrfdr
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Met friends here on a recent trip to Auckland. We each had a different main and all tried a little bit of each, whilst simple the dishes were all well executed. The highlight for me was the good selection of French wines available. With its central location close to SkyCity, I will certainly be back and would very much recommend.