“Fantastic Afternoon on America's Cup Boat”

Explore - America's Cup Sail Auckland
Book In Advance
More Info
$119.45*
and up
America's Cup Sailing on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour
More attraction details
Owner description: Feel the thrill of sailing an authentic America's Cup yacht. Take the helm to help steer on course or work hard on the grinders to hoist the mainsail during this hands on sailing adventure on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic Afternoon on America's Cup Boat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

These boats are built for speed not comfort and the afternoon on one was fantastic. Everyone could have turn helping to crew and the 'real' crew were great. A great blast.

Visited March 2014

Naperville, Illinois
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Sail Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Arriving a day early for a NZ/Aussie cruise provided me a cloudless day to take advantage of this opportunity. As sailing junkie, i was instantly attracted to this as I searched for things to do in Auckland for a day. BINGO! These aren't the new cat style boats but are they fun to ride in. The crew was expert in demonstrating safety, set sails, and use the grinders. Everyone that wanted to got to handle the helm and/or grind to their hearts delight. A couple of the braver lads even got on the foredeck and assisted dowsing the huge spinnaker. The 3 plus hour sail around the harbor was both amazing and beautiful with well informed skipper providing area knowledge. A great sail!

1 Thank ddelockery
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Absolutely Unacceptable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked my America's Cup racing sail with Explore NZ in November for a sail on February 22nd. After arriving in NZ, I tried to book the same sail for a friend. To avoid confusion, I booked through Viator instead of directly with Explore NZ. The next morning, February 6th, Viator emailed me to say that it could not book the sail because it was not scheduled for the 22nd. I contacted Explore to find out if that was true. Explore emailed me back to say that the racing sail I booked was, in fact, not scheduled for the 22nd. I send a couple of emails over the next few days asking for an explanation as to why the sail would not take place and why Explore NZ had not notified me, none of which received a reply. Finally, I simply asked for a full refund. I feel that this organization has very poor customer service; I should have been notified and given some explanation as to why the sail I booked was cancelled.

2 Thank Spencer C
nzl4041, Marketing & Communication Executive at Explore - America's Cup Sail Auckland, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Spencer C,

I just wanted to send our apologies for our less than acceptable service to you.
Unfortunately in this circumstance there was an internal communication breakdown between operations who cancelled the trip and customer service whose job it is communicate with our customers. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and in this case we have learned some important ways to improve our procedures for any future trip cancellations.

Regards
Aimee
Explore Group
Colorado Springs, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I'd do it again in a heartbeat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This will go down in history as one of our most amazing vacation experiences. Our crew was fantastic. We had so much fun. We probably broke a few rules (went out into the Hauraki Gulf, raced the other yacht, stayed out a bit over time) but we were having incredible fun in amazing weather. Learned a LOT. Those interested need to know that the yacht can't sail without YOU - you will be part of the crew. But there's still a lot of time for getting to know others, enjoying the experience and taking tons of photos. We'd do this trip again and recommend it highly to everyone. If you don't take or wear a rain jacket the crew will get one for you if needed. Choose shoes wisely and hold on tight. Crew was very entertaining. It was educational and tons of fun.

1 Thank Victoria B
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Husbands 50th present”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Crew were very informative but sensed a little tension between one of the guys and the girl that was on the ropes. She didn't seem to like him telling her what to do and muttered a few times under her breath. The trip itself was very good and we had a good day for sailing. They provided sunblock but I do suggest that you take a water bottle and my husband and I got thirsty especially if you intend to do the grinding. Overall we were pretty happy.