“Best Deal Around”

Ranked #19 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Best Deal Around”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

This was my 3rd trip to NZ and the umpteenth for my hubby (he lived and worked in NZ for two years). On our previous trips we stayed at the Ascott Metropolis. For the value, the Stadium Waldorf is far superb. While not luxe, it is contemporary, clean and has everything you could ever need, kitchen, washer / dryer, a/c, etc.... It is conveniently located, being so close to the Foodtown is amazing and it's a short walk to city center / Queen Street. We lived at the hotel two weeks and can't imagine a better choice for the money. Sure, you could splurge on something more posh but why bother? We decided it was much better off to spend the $$ on activities and meals around town. As the Kiwis say "Sweet As!!"

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
32 Thank Sailgirl22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I usually stay in a 5 star CBD hotel for my regular business trips to Auckland. The Waldorf Stadium tariff is about a third of what I usually pay and the accommodation was superior. While I only used the well equipped kitchen for breakfast, it was nice having a spacious 1 bedroom apartment, with the working space that this provided as well as a laundry. A broadband connection to a laptop costs $30 a week and there are some excellent pubs and restaurants within a 5 minute walk.
While I found the location to be excellent and could walk to all my meetings in about 10 minutes, there is also an excellent green bus service (called The Link) that stops outside every 10 minutes. This takes a circular trip around the inner city for $1.70 and one can get off and back on again at any point. It goes both clockwise and anticlockwise and covers many of the city's major attractions, areas of interest as well as the city centre . I used The Link to go to the excellent Olympic Pool and Gym in Newmarket each evening, which is only about 8 minutes away.
There is no inhouse restaurant, but I usually find hotel restaurants overpriced and disappointing anyway. They are numerous great places to eat within 5 minutes, including the nearby Mac Brewery, Ima in Forte St, Parnell village (via The Link) and no doubt many others. I also can do without a concierge service. Staff and room servicing were fine.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
32 Thank jeff031
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I canceled a booking at another Auckland hotel after reading TripAdvisor, and booked this one at the last moment before traveling. What a great move! My top floor apartment was clean, modern, very comfortable and very quiet. The bed in the main bedroom was very comfortable, and the whole place was really well soundproofed. All cooking and cleaning amenities were provided, further adding to the value. The large supermarket just a couple of minutes walk away was a bonus. I've stayed at a lot of hotels, and I reckon this one tops all of them when value is taken into consideration (less than NZ$100 per night). I really don't think that I could have asked for anything more.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
28 Thank sw2092
Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2010

The apartments were clean and new which makes the stay comfortable. However, if you are travelling with more than just your immediate family, you will find sharing a toilet and a shower inconvenient. We booked the 3 bedroom apartment for 3 nights and when you have 6 people waiting in turn for their shower or toilet needs, it is NOT fun! You would have thought in excess of 2 rooms there will definitely be 2 toilet facilities. But that was certainly not the case.

Location wise, it was quiet and nice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
27 Thank AraleMelbourne
New Zealand
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Ok this is the 1st time I have ever had to do this to hotel. I stay on average 60 -100 days away from home each year. So here is the honest truth. Lol where do I start?? This place is HORRIBLE!! FYI THEY OWN SCENE 1, 2, 3 and other Waldorf!!!!!!

Booking- easy, Confirmation-fine, Price-acceptable, Website-misleading, I will explain. Check in Website started Guarantee 2:00pm- not true, Rooms good size (I rented 3 bedroom) 2 doubles 1 single, Over all look of hotel-nice, Furniture up to date, lounge couch can act an another bed- good to know, Parking is in public car park that is NOT Camera or monitored, This has never been a concern for me before, but a MUST for car rental people or enthusiast that love their cars. Small kitchen- adequate Plates wine glasses and so on-, adequate. 1 bathroom no bath a washing machine and dryer, the gym-old, pool- doesn’t exist, in house restaurant- doesn’t exist location average. INTERNET $10hr!!!! Swipe card if lost !!!!!!!$500!!!!!!! per card!!!!

Now my experience, I came for work with my family 2 kids 2 adults, we woke up at 6:30am caught our flight on time and arrived at the hotel an hour early with a guaranteed check in of 2:00pm, we were told we had to wait, 2 large chairs and 2 stools, there was another family of 4 waiting as well.

We decided to try the hotel restaurant, it’s down the block, so we walked around looking at empty shops and decided to sit in the reception and wait for our additional 10 mins, which ended up being 1.5hours longer, I asked what about your guarantee? They said sorry, the other family was still there as well, they offered my kids and I free coffee, we declined as my kids were already getting frustrated, and they don’t drink coffee, lol, 7 and 15 years. We made our concerns known. The said it was house keepings fault.

When we got to our room we moved our own bags-fine, room looked clean on 1st inspection-it wasn’t. Couch had what looked like dried vomit on it, cushions where dirty both sides, bathroom huge wade of hair in the drain middle of floor; washing machine was filthy on floor, as I dropped an item and had to retrieve it 2 pairs of other peoples clothes still there, old soap in shower. Good towels and linen.

I took blanket and laid on couch, my daughter said look the cricket running under the couch,... on the 9th floor, nope I caught it was cockroach about the size of a child’s thumb. So we just move on and decide to enjoy the wonderful pool that is in the photos in website, lobby and hotel book, in our suites! Lol, NO POOL, so we got changed silly us it was 5 mins drive away.

The next day I dropped my husband off in our rental care and parked it in the 4th floor car park, as a ALL the parks are reserved or taken by other business, when I returned to my locked empty car, the door and been CROW BARRED, Window SMASHED, and Glass everywhere! FYI This costs $1500 Excess! Hotel didn’t offer any assists, no vacuum, they didn’t want to look. I told the security guard he said LOCK IT OF LOSE IT! WHAT A FOOOOOL! They used a crow bar, it was LOCKED! He didn’t care, they stole my satellite navigation form the glove box, I was told the thieves look for the round circle on your wind screen. They said they hold no liability, and there are no cameras and it wasn’t his job.....So what was he doing? Sleeping? Texting?? So I parked my broken windowed care right outside where he sites, it was again broken into for the 2nd time!!! I am thinking that this is an INSIDE JOB!!! Again they didn’t care, rolled eyes and laughed.

So we go to bed after 3 hours of this it was 12:00am. Very stressful 1.5 days!
Rental car guy came with new car and he said what is wrong with the staff here? They are so rude and they don’t want to talk about it? He is from Auckland, born and raised. We told him what our experience has been.

They delivered us a new car, Thank-you thrifty.
Housekeeping is fine, but they don’t do dishes, and it is only 5 mins per room, hence the dried vomit never being detected. Beds made sometimes, I wonder why it took 2 hours to clean my room, with 1.5hrs being extra??
I have now woken up this morning to BITES on my face, Looks like either BED BUGS or COCKROACHES, I also don’t feel very well, fever and nauseous, I have a welt and slight bruising on face by my ear, I am going out to dinner with client tonight, I may need to cancel.

So to sum it up this is THE WORST SERVICE, THE WORST STAFF, THE WOST SECURITY, THE DIRTIEST, And MOST MISSLEADING PLACE, I have ever stayed! For the same price you can stay closer to the CBD and get a pool and free internet. Never RECOMEND!!!! And if you have Allergies STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!! You will get a reaction! Surfaces cleanned with cold water or harsh chemicals,varied from day to day.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
10 Thank TravelAlotNZ
Sydney
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We are frequent vistor to Auckland, We stayed with my partner for six nights and wished we could have stayed longer. We got a great deal of 110NZD per night for a large 1 bedroom apartment suite. We did not expect so much quality, space and luxury at that price point thus we were incredibly surprised to find the Waldorf Stadium ApartmentHotel to be a very beautiful boutique hotel located in a central water front areapart of the city next to Vector Areana and very close to nice bar and coffee shops in Vulcan lane and High St. as well as Queen Street's eating outles and fashion shops.
Very recommended and would stay again inthis lovely place

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
27 Thank marvin88
Edmonton, AB Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2010

On our first stay here (three nights) we had a one bedroom Deluxe apartment. It was really nice, clean and new. My only issue was the tables, all black and sharp edges, on dark grey/black carpet. I kept bashing my shins on the corners. There’s a busy road out front but it’s pretty quiet with the windows closed. The AC was sufficient for comfort. Parking is in the Stadium parking lot but there is an entrance at the back door to the hotel. There is a new Countdown grocery store a block away. You can walk down to Queen’s Wharf in about 15 minutes.

They had broadband connection for $8/day. The elevators require swiping with your room card. Unfortunately the cards sometimes didn’t work. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Our second stay here was less pleasant. We booked for one night on our return home. They didn’t have a similar room to our first stay and the agent said we would have to take a Premium Apartment. Turned out the “Premium” apartment was two bedrooms crowded into almost the same space as the Deluxe one bedroom. It was crowded and claustrophobic, especially in the Queen bedroom which had no window and barely room to walk around the bed. There were glass sliding doors to separate this room from the living area which made it airless if closed. Make sure you don’t rent this room.

Kitchens had good appliances with basic necessities. Not a lot of restaurants open nearby in the evening.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple