“So Close to Vector Arena”

Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington New Zealand
“So Close to Vector Arena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had a beautiful clean apartment which was a studio but had a fully equipped kitchen and a bedroom that was enclosed by glass sliding doors - very different! I could not believe how easy it was to get to Vector Arena - out the back door of the hotel, up a few steps, along a short road and there was the stadium. I slept well, didn't hear any traffic noise even though the apartment faced Beach Road. Only this I was not too happy about was that the shower had no walls and the water went all over the bathroom, around the toilet and on the sides of the washing machine. I would have no hesitation in recommending these apartments - they are great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the beginning of June - 2 adults and 2 children (aged 1.5 and 4 at the time). We were greeted by a lovely lady who was incredibly helpful. Our 2 bedroom room was lovely, absolutely spotless. We had a family suite (queen bed in one room, 2 singles in the other). The only gripe I had with the room is that our 2 girls were in the front room which faced Beach Rd, during the night it was quite noisy from traffic (even on the top floor). If you have light sleepers I would recommend seeing if there was a similar room on the back side of the hotel. As this is a serviced apartment not a 'hotel' as such, the towels are not changed every day. This was no concern to us, but I have noticed that other reviewers had an issue with this - so don't expect them to be changed daily.

The service was above and beyond. We called the front desk at 3:30am in regards to excessive TV from the room next door which was waking our children. The staff member came up as soon as I hung up and sorted the problem. The following morning I requested a cot for out youngest, and we left for the day. When we returned a portacot had been set up in our room, and made up with lovely clean sheets and an extra blanket. Nothing seemed to be an issue for the staff at Waldorf!

The parking building (an additional $18 a day) is away from the hotel, not a long walk but not covered so leave your bags when you check in so you don't get everything wet when you come back from the carpark.

Overall, a beautiful hotel that is in a brilliant location. Easy walk to Queen St, Britomart, and the Viaduct. We will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would have less road noise, and the top floor was wonderfully peaceful!
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We found the apartment to be well equipped, with separate sitting area/ kitchen. The bedrooms were well proportioned and there was washing/ drier facilities, like a home from home.
Overall, it was very clean with a balcony to have morning tea, weather permitting and in my view a value for money base to visit the city which was on the doorstep.
The staff on the check in desk were very polite, helpful and informative.
Would definitely stay again should we get back to Auckland.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in Waldorf apartments a few times and always a great experience. Far better than staying at a hotel, I'm not sure why more people don't stay in apartments. Although service is reduced (I.e. No new towls each day) that far out weight the benefits (fully furnished with dishwasher, washing machine etc)

• Stayed June 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of May. We had a 2 bedroom apartment on the 8th floor. Both bedrooms had external windows and were a reasonable size and the bathroom was spacious.

The furnishings were good quality and comfortable although the sofa had slight damage.
The bathroom had a reasonable supply of toiletries, but shower gel would be welcome rather than the soap dispenser.

The apartment was very well equipped and was quiet overnight. There is the hum of traffic from early until late, but this is expected in a such a central location.

The apartment was very clean but we were disappointed that the room smelt of smoke after being closed up - we needed the windows open when we were there. The receptionist had offered to find us another room if necessary.
Our room was serviced on the 2nd day.
Friendly staff, both at reception & housekeeping.

Room Tip: Bedrooms with external windows, on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Nelson Nz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Booked a 2 bedroom apartment through Expedia and got a lower rate than hotel offered direct.
Apartment small but very good value so close to city centre.
Lounge area quite roomy and full kitchen facilities. Bedrooms small especially second one but adequate.
Has a balcony.
Easy access to restaurants, rentals cars etc.

Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the Waldorf Stadium for two nights, Saturday and Sunday. I have stayed, and happily a number of times however there were a number of issues for me during this stay. At 4 star and expensive for two nights I expected higher quality.

Check in was good. My credit card was requested for payment of the night not covered by the deposit. I was ok with that, although more used to paying on the way out. The receptionist was polite and helpful.
The room was less acceptable. There were holes in the covering and the chairs and sofa are none too clean. This was not a clean or two away from clean, but long term grime.

In the promo pictures, there is bedside lamp in the twin room. There was none in our twin room, creating inconvenience, including inability to read while the other occupant slept, and the need to navigate the room in the dark once the light was off. Additionally one bedroom room was an internal room with a partial glass wall at the top. When the light was on in that room it shone through the glass into the other bedroom.

The dispensers for hand cleaner and in the shower are simply awful. We did use the hand one, but the shower one….it's not 4 star. The only other place I've seen this is in the Ibis Luton. Two star. The shower one had mould around the dispenser button.

The apartment was not serviced, and when I queried this I was told it can be serviced on request every 4th day. This us advertised as serviced apartments, and I could not find anything on booking.com nor their web site to say they are only conditionally serviced.

On check out I was once again asked for my credit card to pay the other night. As I am not on internet banking for my credit card I could not check this and am currently awaiting the statement to ensure there has been no duplicate charge. An easy mistake but as the payer not a comfortable one, and one that places the onus on me, the customer, to follow up.

All in all this was not a good stay. My 8 year old niece commented on the lack of cleanliness and the holes in the furniture, and we certainly felt very let down indeed. I emailed the hotel for comment but had no reply.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first before you accept it.