“Like a second home”

City Travellers Auckland
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed at City Travellers on two separate occasions for three month stints when I was travelling/working in NZ.

I choose this CT before leaving the UK as it seemed to be the least party/noisy hostel in the CBD as I knew I was staying here for a few months and I would need sleep at some point.
I absolutely loved it. There were 20 of us who did everything together, from rugby games to BBQ's on the patio. Ranz the legend even put together a Christmas dinner which we all attended and had a brilliant evening. no one was home sick as we were all one big family.

My first room I shared with a mate, nice big room with en suite, spot on, good kitchen.

Second time around, again made loads more friends and business as usual, Like I never left!
This time had my own room and loved it!

Massive big up to Ranz, who loves having his head pattered (It's good to do when you check in for good luck on your travels) and Ahmed who is probably the nicest person you could ever meet,

If you want a quiet night sleep or thinking of staying long term I 100% recommend staying here

Cheers again boys and hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, level 5 is best to meet people, if you do stay level 4 make sure you venture up...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear Guest

Always a pleasure to have returned guests and thank for your review and time taken to send us one and wish you safe travels.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I strongly disagree with the reviews below due to me and my boyfriend - whom I met at the hostel, having the best time at City Travellers. A friendly-warm, clean, tidy atmosphere along with staff and friends made City Travellers feel like home.

Before staying there, I had stayed at a few other hostels in Auckland CBD, but nothing compares to City Travellers.

Rooms there were very spacious, clean, tidy and well presented, with plenty of storage room. Beds so comfy you couldn't wait to get back into it at night. Kitchens well equiped with all essentials needed, The whole hostel was cleaned every morning by the cleaners and throughout the day checked upon also.

If anything was broken or damaged in any way Ranz was straight on top of things to sort the problem out, as long as he knew about it, if they don't know its not much they can do about it.

Staff were so helpful at all times and would help you out when ever need be. I got to know them all well and had a good laugh and chat with them.

A very high standard of professionalism was displayed by staff at all times. Reception is manned 8am - 6pm daily by either Ranz/Ahmed and the only time it was unmanned was if a quick toilet break was required.

I have and would definately reccommend this hostel to anybody. Its a great place to be, you will feel like you have not left home. Situated in Downtown CBD, close to Queen Street for all your desired shopping needs, close to Britomart Countdown for food shopping, and with a nice Indian, Chinese and Thai take away downstairs you couldn't ask for much more.

I would like to give a BIG thank you to Ranz and Ahmed along with all the cleaners for making our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear Guest

We appreciate the time taken to send us a review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Not been cleaned properly in months. The place was tatty. The bed was so soft my book (paperback) caused it to sag. Terrible sleep as a result. The bathroom was awful and there were loose wires hanging out of where old appliances are something have been ripped out.

For what you get it's overpriced. And there isn't anyone at the front desk ever.

• Stayed: May 2012
Ranzolin, Manager at City Travellers Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Guest

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to review us and as stated in previous it is something we are striving to correct and unfortunately we failed on this occasion and do apologise, but we will continually make in roads to making this a better hostel with fond memories for travellers.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here for too long! Could get over the cochroaches but got bitten by fleas! That was final straw! They were aware of the cochroaches!as I showed them a pic cause I wasn't sure what they were! You go to get a plate could find one dead on it or running around! Cleaning was poor! Didn't clean the bathroom! Just replaced the toilet roll and towel for the floor!never checked food presses when people left! Shower door full of mould! The roof in 3 bed dorm full of mould! Took weeks to replace a bulb! Leak from toilet sink went under the carpet n smelled and eventually someone came to look at but still leaked the smell still was there. The people that brought in the fleas were told to clean there clothes! Nothing else was treated like couch or beds!We were not told n then we got bitten n then were blamed for not telling them we got bitten!! It was our fault! After complained they treated the couch! Too little to late!only changed the sheets in bed! Not the blanket! They damage was done n it could be breading as I write this! I wasn't expecting 4* standards but a basic level of service! Is a clean bed, clean bathroom n a clean kitchen

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Guest

We appreciate your feedback and review and for bringing all of the above it to our attention as we have worked hard on these and I can safely say all has now been recitified and monitored on a daily basis.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

A great base for our first few nights in NZ. Easy walking distance to everywhere that we wanted to go in Auckland, and it was nice to have our own kitchen and bathroom. Price was very reasonable for being so central, although the bathroom was a little worn out it was all clean and very good value for money.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola F
Ranzolin, Manager at City Travellers Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to write about us, Safe travels!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Ranz has the driest sense of humour ever (typical kiwi) and is very helpful. Ahmed is also the sweetest guy ever. I love how he calls the ladies maam. The hostel is chilled out and there are a lot of long term guests which is good when it comes to making lifetime friends.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Maam

We certainly thank you for your review and i will work on my humour for sure, we do pride ourselves that we are not the 24 hr dance partying hostel which does in most cases works for us.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently and fortunately we were only there to sleep as we were in town for a wedding and to see family.
Our first impression was a ten-minute wait at reception (along with seven other people trying to either check in, check out, or pick up stored luggage) at 3pm, when reception was meant to be open. There was no one there. One guy tried ringing the bell at the main entrance and my companion made two calls on our cell phone (at our expense, of course) to both the manager and assistant manager's cell phones. Neither was answering. An Aussie guy and Polynesian woman told us "They're never here when you need them."
After about ten minutes one of them called my husband back, and then suddenly appeared through a doorway down the hall. No apology to any of us for the wait, and no explanation.
Our double room with ensuite was fairly clean but small pieces of plastic (from tags on newly bought clothing) all over the carpet suggested it had not been vacuumed or vacuumed only sloppily since the previous guests had left.
The bathroom was the size of a cupboard, with a tatty old vanity that had water damage on the front and a toilet that constantly gurgled and filled (something wrong with the cistern??) and was so noisy we kept the bathroom door shut at all times.
The catch on our window was broken, making it extremely difficult to shut the window, and at least one light bulb did not work.
They were too cheap to even provide hand soap in the bathroom and we only got 1/3 of a roll of loo paper and no replacement roll.
The sheets were clean and the bed was comfy. The shower pressure was good and the bathroom was clean. But overall, the room was tatty and needed a coat of paint and several things needed fixing or replacing - the toilet, the window catch, the ligthbulb and the vanity. The bathroom didn't appear to have any ventilation (no fan).
Like I said, it was lucky we only slept here. Would not stay again or recommend. For about $40 more you can find much nicer studio apartment accomodation in central Auckland, and for the same price, I am sure there are hostels with private rooms that are more modern and comfortable and better looked after.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harbourgirl_11

Dear Guest

We appreciated all your comments and thank you for your time taken to review us and we have noted down areas of concern and have rectified this being the toilet cistern, window latch and also the light bulbs.

Others we will certainly look into however thank you once again for your review.